Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
MidwestCass, Bucyrus22B, Steve Clubb, macman59, jm96
18,483 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,944
Posts557,788
Members18,483
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,508
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,141
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 778 guests, and 246 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
HarryD Offline OP
OP Offline
From June 2014

HarryD Offline OP
OP Offline
From October

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
All the floating stuff in October looks like FA to me.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
S
S
That is what I was thinking also Esshup. Looks like what floats on my pond when it breaks loose from the bottom.

Wow what potential! But like so much of Mexico, potential that is likely not going to be realized. Wife and I used to travel a lot in Mexico. So much potential. That could be a couple of really nice ponds with a week or two worth of heavy equipment work.

There may not be any fish in the ponds because none were ever stocked? Unless other ponds/rivers are in the near area, no one may have ever made the effort. Looks like critter life is there so likely fish could live there.

The pesticides from runoff might be a problem but I doubt it. If excessive herbicides likely would not see the weeds and grass around the pond. If insecticides were at lethal levels likely not see the insects in the pond. With the turbidity of the water, I would not be surprised if you did not see fish even if there were some.

Maybe make up a minnow trap or fish trap and throw it in? Some different things on U-tube on how to make traps out of various materials.

Do you know the owner to ask to put in fish? I thought it was public land?

What area Mexico? What city is in the background if you don't mind saying?

Last edited by snrub; 11/04/14 11:16 PM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Also curious about location.

The 2 big things that I look for are PH and alkilinity. But if you can get a swimming pool test kit, you can come close as a lab can. That would be a good start.

Last edited by Dave Davidson1; 11/05/14 05:32 AM.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
HarryD Offline OP
OP Offline
In the past year I have come across some tidbits of information. I don't think they use nearly as much pesticides as I thought. I believe I overlooked the fertilizers are in use.

I ask around and I believe this is "public land" in that it is owned by the local community and individuals exercise their rights to use this public land on an allocated basis. (A common land ownership system used in rural areas of colonial era Mexico.) That said I have been watching for signs of any maintainance at all...yeah, none of that to be had. I think the last maintainance was +20 years ago when they did some repair work to the dam. I see signs of human life, but mostly people cutting wood, farming, etc.

Regardging wild life, I have FINALLY seen some sign of sizable life. Twice I have caught a glimpse of a larger critter (+1 lb) breaking the water near the edge. Might be a turtle or a large frog, I wouldn't be surprised if it was a muskrat.

In the area I have seen a number of field mice and chipmunks in the fields nearby. Other than that, not much. (No deer, raccon tracks, etc) Oh it might be worth mentioning that I last time I was up there I thought I heard a few small frogs singing. I hadn't noticed that before. (Maybe I wasn't holding still for long enough. I was tring to see what was breaking the water like that.)

I would be tempted to see if there are any fish etc but I wouldn't be able to check on the traps with any regularity. As you can tell, I don't get up there as much as I would like.

S
S
If you put some bait in the traps it is actually a good thing to check them in about a half hour to an hour. So you could put the trap in and take it back out on the same visit. A slice of bread for bait would tempt any hungry sunfish or if it is a smaller minnow trap, minnows or small sunfish. It does not take fish in the area of the trap long to discover the bait and get to it. Many species of fish are very curious and will come investigate the sound of a trap splashing into the water in their "territory" pretty quickly.

Can you fish it with a line and hook? All I ever seen in Mexico as far as fishing was with mono-filament line, a hook and bare hands. There are some tough fishermen in Mexico with cut up hands to show it.

Last edited by snrub; 11/05/14 01:23 PM.

John

HarryD Offline OP
OP Offline
Dave,

That's Mexico City in the background.

A friend of a friend of mine works in a lab that tests drinking water. So, about a year ago I asked if they could run some basic tests on a sample I brought down.

Roughly translated, this is what I was told:
Bacteria Count Paramiters: 1-5 Good, 6-10 Very Good, 10-20 Excellent
Lower Test Results: 3 (I dudeuce from the hand written notes that this was from on the settled matter in the sample or the low end of the test results, I really can't be sure.)
Upper Test Results: 0 (I think that's pretty bad using the scale above)

Chlorine:
Lower Test Results: 0.78 mg/L
Upper Test Results: 1.67 mg/L

Turbidiity
Lower Test Results: 127 NTU (I don't know what NTU means)
Upper Test Results: 232 NTU

Alcalinity
PH Lower Test Results: 6.59
PH Upper Test Results: 6.77

Alc Lower Test Results: 40
Alc Upper Test Results: 44

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
How does the chlorine get in there?

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
HarryD Offline OP
OP Offline
Sorry, you got me.

HarryD Offline OP
OP Offline
I hope those water tests from last year indicate something useful. I don't know what I am looking at there. Comments?

I have gathered the materials for a minnow trap and will have that and a nice stale piece of bread ready for the next trip to the ponds.

HarryD Offline OP
OP Offline
Good news and bad news.

Bad news first. I went back up to the ponds with a minnnow trap. After 45 mins in the lower pond, I had a trap full of soggy bread. After another 45 mins in the upper pond I caught what I am pretty sure is just a 1" long leach.

Good news. Although it sprinkled a bit, it was a very fine afternoon. Photos to come.

HarryD Offline OP
OP Offline

S
S
Well at least you know it is probably not a good place to go swimming unless you need some bloodletting done. eek

I still wonder if the reason there are no fish is because none were ever stocked? It may have been built as a public service for the local livestock producers as a watering hole? Or even as a communal project by ranchers??? Just some guesses.

The water Ph level looks acceptable.

Mexico City is down in a hole so you must be at some elevation. Do you know the approximate elevation of the pond?

I can see why you want to get out of the city is that is where you work. Been there a couple of times and that was more than enough. Way too many people for a country boy.

Last edited by snrub; 11/10/14 11:31 AM.

John

HarryD Offline OP
OP Offline
*correction* Mexico City and the greater area are at 7,500 feet.

I have see onther resivoirs in the greater area that have small finger-sized fish in them, but haven't seen any such critters in this particular area. Though I might find some if I went looking.

I was with some locals up there the other day and thay talked about the idea of stocking it with beta fish because of their oxygen requirements. That said, I know, for a fact, that someone put $2 worth of minnows in there a year ago. There is no sign of them now.

Last edited by HarryD; 11/10/14 06:09 PM.
S
S
Ok, thanks for the update, that high elevation may make a difference and the experts (of which I'm not one) may be able to help in that aspect.

I remembered staying in an old hotel right in the middle of the city where we could see an old church to our left on the square from the balcony. They talked about everything being built on an old lake bed and that the church (large and all built of stone) had sunken something like 4 feet over the many years. Mexico City being built on an old lake bed (Azetc's I believe?) I made the incorrect assumption the elevation was low. But it is in fact pretty high. Plus you are looking down from the pond so the pond I assume is a fair amount higher?

I'm at a little under 1000 feet above sea level so have no experience with fish at that elevation. Interesting pond you are working with. Keep us posted.

Last edited by snrub; 11/10/14 02:08 PM.

John

HarryD Offline OP
OP Offline
Mexico City is at around 7,000 feet and this pond is around 8,000.

Is there a thread where I can start reading and "Idiots guide" to keeping fish alive? There has got to be some basic theory that I am missing in this pond. (Maybe I am just in the wrong part of the forum)

F
F
Have you ever found out if you can get the Fat Head Minnows somewhere? If not, what other cheap baitfish is accessible? You need something to start testing with, something cheap. Perhaps even throw up a picture here to ID what you can get. Up here, if FHM can't live in the water, nothing else can. So it would be a good test there, if you can get them. Put in some cover for them like a dead tree with lots of small branches, and then add spawning structure for them like a pallet in shallow water. See if they make it for a year's cycle. If they don't, then you have to figure it out.

HarryD Offline OP
OP Offline
Okay, sounds like a plan. (I did investigate minnows last year, but didn't take a photo.)

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
The pond is likely shallow and basically a glorified wetlands and looks to be highly eutrophic. Dense algae bloom crashes could cause periodic strong oxygen shortages which would be enhanced by shallow very warm conditions thus causing fish kills.
Nephelometric Turbidity Unit (NTU) is an old standard method.
Here is a link to some examples of water color and how they relate to NTU.
http://www.water.ncsu.edu/watershedss/info/turbid.html
Turbidity.
Several methods are used to measure turbidity. All of them involve measuring the amount of some type of light that can pass through a standard width of water.

A Formazin Nephelometric Unit (FNU) is similar to a Nephelometric Turbidity Unit (NTU) in that both measure scattered light at 90 degrees from the incident light beam, but the FNU is measured with an infrared light source according to the ISO 7027 method whereas the NTU is measured with a white light according to EPA method 180.1.

Background. From Wikipedia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turbidity
Turbidity is the cloudiness or haziness of a fluid caused by large numbers of individual particles that are generally invisible to the naked eye, similar to smoke in air. The measurement of turbidity is a key test of water quality.
The propensity of particles to scatter a light beam focused on them is now considered a more meaningful measure of turbidity in water. Turbidity measured this way uses an instrument called a nephelometer with the detector set up to the side of the light beam. More light reaches the detector if there are lots of small particles scattering the source beam than if there are few. The units of turbidity from a calibrated nephelometer are called Nephelometric Turbidity Units (NTU). To some extent, how much light reflects for a given amount of particulates is dependent upon properties of the particles like their shape, color, and reflectivity. For this reason (and the reason that heavier particles settle quickly and do not contribute to a turbidity reading), a correlation between turbidity and total suspended solids (TSS) is somewhat unique for each location or situation.

Turbidity in lakes, reservoirs, channels, and the ocean can be measured using a Secchi disk. This black and white disk is lowered into the water until it can no longer be seen; the depth (Secchi depth) is then recorded as a measure of the transparency of the water (inversely related to turbidity). The Secchi disk has the advantages of integrating turbidity over depth (where variable turbidity layers are present), being quick and easy to use, and inexpensive. It can provide a rough indication of the depth of the euphotic zone with a 3-fold division of the Secchi depth, however this cannot be used in shallow waters where the disk can still be seen on the bottom.

An additional device, which may help measuring turbidity in shallow waters is the turbidity tube.[6][7] The turbidity tube condenses water in a graded tube which allows determination of turbidity based on a contrast disk in its bottom, being analogous to the Secchi disk.

Turbidity in air, which causes solar attenuation, is used as a measure of pollution.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 11/11/14 11:25 AM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
HarryD Offline OP
OP Offline
Bill, I read you post twice. Seriously good information there. Thank you! Let me see if I can get some useful information on the ponds turbidity. In the center is is 4' deep and 7' at the dam if I remember right. (it's posted above)

FWIW, I have found out that a common local variety of fish called Charal is what was put into the pond.

Since they are native to Mexico, there isn't much written on them in English. So here is the Wikipedia article translated by Google: Charal

I am tracking down FHM now.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
They are a type of silverside. If that is what is in the pond you should see them swimming near the surface as they feed. Silversides are normally a topwater type of fish. When predators chase them they will jump 'skip' out of the water avoiding predators. You won't really know for sure what is in the pond until you set a fish trap and catch some. The water quality of the pond does not look good enough for this type of fish to live in the pond. From my reading so far, it appears they thrive in water with pretty good overall water quality, not the stuff in your pictures above.
Limited US Distribution:
http://nas.er.usgs.gov/queries/factsheet.aspx?SpeciesID=317

Picture & drawing. Around 21 species of them in the genus Chirostoma
http://eol.org/pages/16281/overview

Detailed Study:
http://www.scielo.org.ar/scielo.php?pid=S0327-95452006000100018&script=sci_arttext

Diet Study:
http://books.google.com/books?id=40DqktQ...oma&f=false

Last edited by Bill Cody; 11/24/14 05:32 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
HarryD Offline OP
OP Offline
Well, I checked some local suppliers and one said they could get me "charal de burro" which they claimed is a type of FHM. (Sorry, don't really belive them.)

They did have on hand the following carp variants, they said these were the most resiliant they have on hand. (Shown below)

I have seen some minnows/small fish in another location with similar water supply. I am going to try and snag a picture of them...that takes a lot more work. We'll see.

Last edited by HarryD; 01/30/15 12:30 PM.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
The top picture look like what's called feeder goldfish here, and the bottom picture look like a type of Koi.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
HarryD Offline OP
OP Offline
For anyone that's interested, this is a quick update on the pond.

It's been a year and there is some nice cattails in the lower pond as well as some other growth that has provided a habitat for a tadpoles (there were about 500-1000 in the shallows) and some frogs. A number of times I have caught a glimpse of something larger in the pond, it might be a large frog or a muskrat. The water is loaded with sediment, but is much freer of top growth.

View of the city heading up to the pond.

Tons of these tiny little fellas on the road up.

I would estimate 500-1000 in this area.

Local fella headed home from a trip up the mountain. The upper pond is in the background right behind the road.

The water is loaded with sediment, but otherwise seems to be quite clear of debris.

Again, a few from the northern edge of the dam for the lower pond.

I heard a frog in there singing...honestly, I haven't heard many frogs in this pond before. This was encouraging.

Again, another nice view from the NW side of the pond looking towards the cloud covered volcanos.

Last edited by HarryD; 08/03/16 09:55 AM.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Froggy Joe
Recent Posts
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves
by Bill Cody - 04/18/24 08:53 PM
How many channel cats in 1/5 acre pond?
by Dave Davidson1 - 04/18/24 08:41 PM
1/4 HP pond aerator pump
by esshup - 04/18/24 06:58 PM
Hi there quick question on going forward