Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi, Lumberman1985, Bennettrand
18,500 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,962
Posts557,958
Members18,500
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,146
Who's Online Now
8 members (gautprod, catscratch, Omaha, Theo Gallus, Lake8, Sunil, J. R., FishinRod), 1,382 guests, and 424 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Some states allow you to check in on line a deer that you have harvested. One could no doubt even use a smart phone to do it. Still a lot of things to learn.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 11/16/14 04:13 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Originally Posted By: Bob-O
"mine was the only done on line" What does that mean?

Two tin cans and a string wink

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Oops, I meant to say "mine was the only one checked in on-line". You have the option of checking in your deer on-line or in person.

If you do it on-line, you get a registration number that is specific to that particular deer. If it's done in person, they attach a metal tag to the deer that has to stay with that deer until it is consumed. (it's taped to one of the processed packages of meat).

Bill, yes, a smart phone or a computer. You can call it in, but it costs you $5 to do it that way. No fee doing it on-line or taking it in to a check station.

Last edited by esshup; 11/16/14 11:41 PM.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Gotta wonder how accurate the online check in is for annual deer harvest. OTOH I'm not sure how accurate the deer check station was as there is no incentive for accuracy. I've seen more than once where the accuracy was up to the hunter and no one at the deer check station even went out to look at the deer. This was back when I did gameheads as a taxidermist.

Last I knew the deer check stations here in Indiana are not compensated. Is that still true Scott?

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
I'm so old school that I can't keep up with technology. I know I should but it's real aggravating sometimes.
My friends and I always butchered our own deer and we had lots of those metal bands hangin on a nail. One yr my kids got on me about not havin a X-mass tree so I went out and cut down the scraggliest pine I could find and set it up in the trailer. I got all those tags and hung em all over that tree and told the kids "THERE"

Do nature a favor, spay/neuter your pets and any weird friends or relatives.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Cecil, correct. The telephone check-in costs $5 but if you take it to a check station it's free, and the check station doesn't get any $$ for doing it. That's why there are so few check stations - when the state dropped the $1/deer that the check stations received, many said the heck with it. Ross's does it because he's a processor - it's a loss leader so to speak.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Do the math. Most have cell phones and it would be more of a convenience over the phone to check in rather than driving to a check station and waste more time. If it cost 5 bucks to check in over the phone, and the previous was a buck at a check station, potential of 5x the $$. They don't change these rules for nothing.

I think the ice is here to stay. It's not getting any warmer out, and now getting some snow cover over the previously formed ice. Crappy ice like last year. A big hunk of Spring Lake is freezing over.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
IIRC the state paid the check in station, not the guy checkin em in. Scott you will probably know if that is correct.

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
That would make sense with what esshup and you said. Now do the math!

O
O
Had to break through anywhere from a quarter inch to an inch and a half of ice on Saturday to sink my Geothermal loop that for some reason floated to the surface... Wish I would have seen it when I move the diffusers... The pond was all but maybe a 10 x 20 foot open last evening.. I did run the well for awhile trying to open the ice but is wasn't going fast enough for me because I wanted tot get back to the woods..

Sat yesterday morning with the bow until 9:45 then was back in the stand at 11:30 until dark.. I don't normally get cold, but the feet must be showing some age because they have been getting a little chilled...

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
IIRC, your a youngun. Give yerself another 30 yrs... feet ain't the only thing that gets colder quickly !!!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Broke through 1" of ice on a pond today to put in a winter aeration system. That was fun. wink Slide the aluminum boat out on the ice, get in the boat, use an ice spud to shove it out even further, break thru the ice, measure water depth to put the diffuser in the water at the proper height, have a guy on shore pull on the rope that is attached to the boat and chop through the ice the whole way back to get the airline to sink to the bottom of the pond. Put in 4 diffusers that way, about one every 45 minutes.....

20°F with a constant 20 mph wind.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

You crack me up! Only thing that would make that story better is if you had waited till dark and done it by lantern light!

Last edited by Bill D.; 11/17/14 08:36 PM.

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
I walked to work this morning. It was cold and windy just like you had.

Got out of bed, walked to the kitchen and made a pot of coffee, then sat down at the table and turned my computer on. Nice and warm all day long laugh

Same routine for me this morning except waited till wife made the coffee and then got up!

[Linked Image]
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Bill D.
You crack me up! Only thing that would make that story better is if you had waited till dark and done it by lantern light!

By the time I got home it was dark. So I donned the LED headlamp and made sure the ceramic heater and insulation was in it's winter home in the pump house. Without that, the bladder tank for the house would freeze. I also filled up the cart and brought wood to the house for the fireplace insert.

13°F out, 74°F inside without having the furnace kick on. grin

My winter aeration system is already in my pond, this was at a clients place. wink

The weather person on TV just said it'd be 50°F on Sunday.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

M
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
M
Other than the ice and cold, how did those diffusers go in? Any design issues?

Administrator
Lunker
Administrator
Lunker
There is always something left to do when winter hits. Dug through a foot of snow and covered up the last rose bush.

Life is Good on Bremer Pond

Bremer Pond Weather
J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Just don't seem to be letting up around here.

November winds are normal, but not the temps. and the snow.

Well respected meteorologist in the area for as long as I can remember (years) said this is like January weather, which that's exactly what I thought before he even said that.

Same here. Temp in the teens this afternoon with 35 MPH winds. A few neighbors dropped by for coffee. Definitely happy I put this big fireplace in the new house. It will take 36 inch logs easily. I had a nice fire roaring away when they came in out of the weather and they really appreciated sitting on the hearth to take the chill off!

[Linked Image]
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Just be glad you aren't in Buffalo.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Originally Posted By: Dwight
There is always something left to do when winter hits. Dug through a foot of snow and covered up the last rose bush.

A foot of snow? Sounds like the bush was already well covered. Were your snowflakes not properly aligned arranged to suit your precise senses??? laugh laugh laugh

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Rainman
Originally Posted By: Dwight

A foot of snow? Sounds like the bush was already well covered. Were your snowflakes not properly aligned arranged to suit your precise senses??? laugh laugh laugh

grin

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

L
L
Just got pounded by a brief 3 hour shot of Lake Erie lake effect snow. It is very rare for it to make it this far east. Those three hours gave us 8 inches and I drove through the heart of it trying to get home tonight. Thank God I have a 'RU.

Possible heading off to Buffalo tomorrow to help shovel off and try to score some NFL tickets to the game. Our church is organizing a gathering with another church to help out folks who are home-bound.

Administrator
Lunker
Administrator
Lunker
Charging.

Life is Good on Bremer Pond

Bremer Pond Weather
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cobra01, Dan123, micam5, Rich B, woodster
Recent Posts