Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
MidwestCass, Bucyrus22B, Steve Clubb, macman59, jm96
18,483 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,944
Posts557,788
Members18,483
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,508
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,141
Who's Online Now
2 members (Foozle, Croakin' Toad), 712 guests, and 276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Bought several books on solar power as in Solar Power you Home for Dummies, etc. etc. However the best one I have found so far is the Solar Power Electricity Handbook 2014 edition by Michael Boxwell. Got it for under $20.00 on Amazon with free shipping. Very well written and comprehensive and even gives ballpark figures for equipment etc for various projects. There is also a website you can go to make calculations.

The Dummies book is disappointingly out of date on some things.

I know a few people on here have been experimenting with powering diffuser aeration with solar modules, and I hope to be doing the same next year. I've also brought my watt hours down considerably by running my aquaponics system with an airlift, so using solar will be my next step. My goal is my outdoor aquaponics system will be off the grid completely along with my pond aeration. Hopefully as I gain more experience I can incorporate wind DIY with solar and go on to bigger and bigger projects. The book is so well written I can't put it down.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 11/02/14 09:42 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

K
K
Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1
Bought several books on solar power as in Solar Power you Home for Dummies, etc. etc. However the best one I have found so far is the Solar Power Electricity Handbook 2014 edition by Michael Boxwell. Got it for under $20.00 on Amazon with free shipping. Very well written and comprehensive and even gives ballpark figures for equipment etc for various projects. There is also a website you can go to make calculations.

The Dummies book is disappointingly out of date on some things.

I know a few people on here have been experimenting with powering diffuser aeration with solar panel, and I hope to be doing the same next year. I've also brought my watt hours down considerably by running my aquaponics system with an airlift, so using solar will be my next step. My goal is my outdoor aquaponics system will be off the grid completely along with my pond aeration. Hopefully as I gain more experience I can incorporate wind DIY with solar and go on to bigger and bigger projects. The book is so well written I can't put it down.

Thanks for sharing out the information..I am seriously thinking of using solar power in near future and would love to read the book ASAP..

Last edited by Kraig Ansley; 11/03/14 03:56 PM.
S
S
For Solar powering an aeration unit in ones pond would you need to buy a new aeration unit or is their a way to convert. I don't know much about aeration or solar but I guess what Im trying to say is, If you already have an aeration system you wouldn't have to buy a new unit that is more conducive to solar power, would you? Could you convert your old one into solar power? Whats the approx cost of doing something like this?

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
If you know your diffuser operating parameters, you could just add a correctly sized compressor and the solar components to run that compressor.

I know that Vertex diffusers will work on .5 CFM as a minimum. Now with a DIY system, you have to do your research on the compressor to see if it will furnish that CFM to every Vertex diffuser that you have in the pond, at the depth that they are placed.

That's the differences between a DIY system and a purchased turn-key system. Turn key, all the calcs are done for you and the system should be sized correctly to do the job it is supposed to do. DIY means you are the engineer to find out what is required. At the very least you have to find out the operating parameters of your diffusers to know if the compressor will work.

For instance, if you have 4 vertex diffusers placed in 10' of water, the compressor needs to furnish a minimum of 2.5 CFM at 6 psi for it to work. Bare minimum is 2.0 CFM at 5 psi, but that's leaving absolutely no room for a drop in pressure or volume as the unit ages and wears. The 2.5 cfm and 6 psi has some fudge factor figured into the calcs.

You can run a 120v compressor on solar, you just have to correctly size the panels and batteries to do it.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
M
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
M
Boy do I love the solar stuff!!! Been messing with it now for 14years. Cabin, and fish ponds. Expert...H*ll no. Informed...you bet!!

Cecil I would love to hear what you learn and I in turn would love to share what I've learned. IMHO, this area of technology(in my region), for water aeration,....could change a lot of paradigms.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Mnfish,

Would love to share as you have. Still boning up on all basic electricity theory, and the different ways to utilize solar power as in, off grid stand alone, gride tie in, gride tie in with back up (grid interactive), and fallback and failover. It's all in the book.

I feel all excited just like when I got my start with DIY recirculating aquaculture systems with Steve Van Gorder's book Small Scale Aquaculture. When I get my mind set on achieving something I usually get there, and with all the books and Internet out there, there is no excuse not to have the information one needs.

This book really is a gem and if you don't have it, it's a worthwhile investment.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Mnfish,

Forgive me if you posted it already but:

1. Does your stand alone system run 24/7?

2. Are you using a 12 volt compressor or an AC model?

In my reading of the book it appears if I want to run my 60 watt AC linear air pump for my aquaponics system the capital investment isn't cheap with solar panels and batteries. If I use a 12 volt compressor it's still a lot cheaper over the short run to use an AC compressor and power it off the grid.

Now 12 volt and only running when the solar power is available is another story. However that is not an option with my aquaponics system.

Another option that would simplify things for me close to the house would be a grid fallback system not to be confused with a grid tie system. I would use power produced via solar and stored in batteries, and when that is almost used up the circuit picks up the slack from the grid. Then when there is sufficient juice from the solar array to power the compresser again it automatically switches back. Still not convinced of the cost effectiveness vs. straight grid.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 11/08/14 10:03 AM.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Cecil, from what I've heard, Germany is either the leader or close to the leader in using Solar energy to supplement their electric needs.

But, have you seen this?
http://theenergycollective.com/robertwil...ts-energy-solar

Without going down the political route that will require me to moderate myself or this thread, I think that while solar is a good idea, with the current state of solar technology, without tax breaks, etc. it still isn't economically feasible if you are looking at a profit/loss statement.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: esshup
Cecil, from what I've heard, Germany is either the leader or close to the leader in using Solar energy to supplement their electric needs.

But, have you seen this?
http://theenergycollective.com/robertwil...ts-energy-solar

Without going down the political route that will require me to moderate myself or this thread, I think that while solar is a good idea, with the current state of solar technology, without tax breaks, etc. it still isn't economically feasible if you are looking at a profit/loss statement.

I hear ya Scott but if the prediction that panels will be made that will produce twice as much energy within 2 years according to Highflyer, comes true, that would be a game changer.

According to one source, solar is catching up with the grid in about 36 states where rebates and tax incentives are making it competitive with the grid. Indiana is not one of them but our price per kilowatt is quite low compared to some other states.

If you ask me the a grid fallback system would be the way to go for home power, and add solar panels a few at a time as you go. Spread the expense out and no selling to the grid, but over time you would need less and less from the grid. Perhaps at some point you could change it to a grid tie system.

What has surprised me in my research is how much less power the small to medium size wind turbines make compared to solar. From what I'm reading the smaller to medium size wind turbines aren't necessarily what they're cracked up to be. They really take a beating too, and need regular maintenance.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 11/09/14 08:49 AM.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Been looking at 12 volt compressors for my potential solar powered outdoor aquaponics system. This would also apply to pond aeration via solar if the psi is high enough for the depth? I think? And if there are any experts here please chime in with constructive criticism as I'm just getting into this.

For those of you that don't know, using a 12VDC compressor is more eficient thsn using a 120VAC compressor and converting the DC volts from the solar panel(s) to AC for an AC compressor. But initial capital costs will be higher!

Anyway found the following so far:

Called tech support Pentair/AES and the Whitewater ones on the top of pg. 34 In the Pentair/AES on the right side appear to be the same throw away models from China as on Ebay. No spare parts and only a three month warranty.

One thing to keep in mind, many times the specs on the cheaper imports are inflated. I bought a cheapy 20 lpm 120VAC last year From an aquaponics supplier and it won't even provide enough air to adequately inflate a 9 inch membrane diffuser. Only fit for an aquarium!

The 12 volt diaphragm compressor DC20 on the bottom of pg. 34 in the Pentair/AES left hand side according to the following web page is American made and has replaceable parts.

http://pentairaes.co...compressor.html

I wanted to get more specific info on lpm or cfm but the tech couldn't provide any. Seriously? Also no info on watts but it looks like max current is 6 amps according to the graph charts, so V X I = P comes out to 72 watts. (12 volts. x 6 amps = 72 watts) On the website according to the chart it looks like max air flow is 1.25 cfm for the DC20. (35.3 lpm)

Anyway on the middle right of the same page I found out there are actually three models of the 12V Hauling Tank Aeration Systems and one can buy the compressors seperately with out the stones, valves, and airlines which brings the price down.

Prices range from $259.00 USD 60 lpm (2.1 cfm)and 5 amps (60 watts), about $350.00 USD 80 lpm (2.8 cfm) 7.5 amps (90 watts), and $400.00 USD 100 lpm (3.53 cfm) 12.0 amps (144 watts).

Didn't see any replacement parts for the above and the tech couldn't give me a brand name which I though was odd for the price of these compressors.

I am favoring a higher end compressor that won't leave me without air and water movement with my airlift system, but won't buy a compressor I can't buy a replacement diaphragm or other parts regardless of the alledged quality.

Thoughts?

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 11/13/14 01:22 PM.

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
Been looking at 12 volt compressors for my potential solar powered outdoor aquaponics system. This would also apply to pond aeration via solar if the psi is high enough for the depth? I think? And if there are any experts here please chime in with constructive criticism as I'm just getting into this.

For those of you that don't know, using a 12VDC compressor is more eficient thsn using a 120VAC compressor and converting the DC volts from the solar panel(s) to AC for an AC compressor. But initial capital costs will be higher!

Anyway found the following so far:

Called tech support Pentair/AES and the Whitewater ones on the top of pg. 34 In the Pentair/AES on the right side appear to be the same throw away models from China as on Ebay. No spare parts and only a three month warranty.

One thing to keep in mind, many times the specs on the cheaper imports are usually inflated. I bought a cheapy 20 lpm 120VAC last year and it won't even provide enough air to adequately inflate a 9 inch membrane diffuser. Only fit for an aquarium!

The 12 volt diaphragm compressor DC20 on the bottom of pg. 34 in the Pentair/AES left hand side according to the following web page is American made and has replaceable parts.

http://pentairaes.co...compressor.html

I wanted to get more specific info on lpm or cfm but the tech couldn't provide any. Seriously? Also no info on watts but it looks like max current is 6 amps according to the graph charts, so V X I = P comes out to 72 watts. (12 volts. x 6 amps = 72 watts) On the website according to the chart it looks like max air flow is 1.25 cfm for the DC20. (35.3 lpm)

Anyway on the middle right of the same page I found out there are actually three models of the 12V Hauling Tank Aeration Systems and one can buy the compressors seperately with out the stones, valves, and airlines which brings the price down.

Prices range from $259.00 USD 60 lpm (2.1 cfm)and 5 amps (60 watts), about $350.00 USD 80 lpm (2.8 cfm) 7.5 amps (90 watts), and $400.00 USD 100 lpm (3.53 cfm) 12.0 amps (144 watts).

Didn't see any replacement parts for the above and the tech couldn't give me a brand name which I though was odd for the price of these compressors.

I am favoring a higher end compressor that won't leave me without air and water movement with my airlift system, but won't buy a compressor I can't buy a replacement diaphragm or other parts regardless of the alledged quality.

Thoughts?

Cecil, I have been tagging along after Brian (HighFlyer) for some three years watching all of his solar projects and he has made a believer out of me!
I just pulled the trigger on a 12 volt Kasco surface aerator from Todd Overton and Brian is helping immensely with advice and source of components ....batteries are a BIG issue - I'm calling mine a "prototype" at this stage of the game! grin
I've got a small sediment pond that is wasted water that needs help badly.
George

http://www.kascomarine.com/products/aerators/12v-emergency-aerator/

http://www.kascomarine.com/pdfs/Aerator_Model1812AFOwnersManual.pdf

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Thanks George! Yeah those batteries aren't cheap!

Yikes 3300 watts! I'm thinking you would need some serious solar array and batteries to keep that going! For temporary use perhaps a back up battery and charge one while the other is in use?

The drawback I see is for even my small outdoor system, is the fact that my system has to run 24/7, and I need enough battery back up to keep it going at night and for cloudy days. 3 days backup is recommended.

Even a grid fallback system stiil requires batteries.

I'm hoping to get by with 10 watts (20 lpm) for airlift and another 20 watts (30 lpm) for the membrane diffuser in the fish tank with my aquaponics system. I'll replace my moving bed biofilter with an rbc that is low head and turns via the flow coming through the tank. So no aditional air needed for my biofilter.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 11/13/14 01:42 PM.

M
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
M
Mnfish,

Forgive me if you posted it already but:

1. Does your stand alone system run 24/7?

2. Are you using a 12 volt compressor or an AC model?

In my reading of the book it appears if I want to run my 60 watt AC linear air pump for my aquaponics system the capital investment isn't cheap with solar panels and batteries. If I use a 12 volt compressor it's still a lot cheaper over the short run to use an AC compressor and power it off the grid.

Now 12 volt and only running when the solar power is available is another story. However that is not an option with my aquaponics system.

Another option that would simplify things for me close to the house would be a grid fallback system not to be confused with a grid tie system. I would use power produced via solar and stored in batteries, and when that is almost used up the circuit picks up the slack from the grid. Then when there is sufficient juice from the solar array to power the compresser again it automatically switches back. Still not convinced of the cost effectiveness vs. straight grid.

Sorry I missed these questions Cecil! I just put together a very long PM and went to send it and poooffff gone. I am a moroooon mad

I do not want to break any of the forum rules with regards to unpaid advertising. And sometimes answering questions with my experiences will come off as me endorsing or not endorsing a particular product. I don't want that to happen. Furthermore, most of the time I'm using products in my designs that are outside or farrrr outside of there intended use. Over the edge...it's where I love to be crazy And quite frankly, I'm not qualified to say much other than posting my experiences. So, if you need anything for contacts, or names of vendors that I use, please feel free to PM me any time. It goes, without stating, that offer is open to any one on here. After 15 years of doing it, maybe I can help. It's the least I can do to repay for all the Pond Boss forum has given me!!!

Ok...the questions:

I am using a 12V Gast DC pump with a linear current booster (LCB). For the application that I am trying to develop, batteries most likely won't be an option. It is stand alone but does not run 24/7. (nor do I believe it needs to, but that is a whole other thread wink )
For your application, IMHO, batteries will almost certainly be required. And like almost all solar systems, maximizing your power generated and stored while minimizing your losses will be paramount for a cost effective system.

Do you have a budget or go/no go number in your head on what your system can cost? Are you looking into 24V?

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I would prefer to stay under a thousand. I would consider 24 volt if it is more cost effective.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I've had the same "poof" happen to me. I've taken to doing the reply in a word doc, then copying/pasting to the PM in case it does that again. Then I just re-copy/paste.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

M
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
M
Good strategy essup!

For your potential setup Cecil, I believe a 24V system will be much less expensive. The solar energy part is solvable (not sure yet about the $1,000 design constraint). How much load do you think you will be carrying for your system?

I am curious about pump life. In my limited experience, 12V or 24V linear pumps(which are efficient on power consumption) have limits on longevity. Your system of 24/7 with a narrow margin for error. My system goes down I have weeks, yours goes down and you got, what, hours?!?. I think the pump will drive your system design. Your power may have to be inverted from DC to AC.

Random thoughts from my desk...instead of working....sshhhh don't tell the boss smile

Last edited by mnfish; 11/19/14 12:22 PM.
Well as one who has played with solar, It does have its pluses and minuses.

My current setup to "Play" with:

This is 8, 230 watt panels. It is capable of 1840 watts. As setup, I will never see that much power from this system. But even in total overcast and rain, I can make 100 watts. Thats right, 100 watts from those 8 panels. Solar has its pluses and minuses.

Here is the charge controller

And here is a why I have all this power: It is Tilapitopia 2.0 . I am using Airlift to move water between tanks and I am using the excess solar power to heat the water.

So far we are still tweaking our system, but it looks very promising.

Here we are using more of the solar power available, but not all of it yet.....

Brian

The one thing is the one thing
A dry fly catches no fish
Try not to be THAT 10%
M
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
M
Sorry for the hijack Cecil but I MUST...Brain that system of yours is growing and has a lot of cool factor going on. What do you think about trying to set up a "field trip" day? Very cool stuff!!!

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Mnfish,

I don't consider that hijacking and even if it was it wouldn't bother me. I think we all do this from time to time.

As far as myself I think for safety's sake a grid fallback system would be the way to go. That is, solar produces electricity off the batteries but when the batteries get down to a certain level a switch kicks over to AC off the grid. Just one circuit connected to the grid probably for an AC air pump. I should be able to run my air lift and aeration the fish tank on 30 to 40 watts tops if I have zero head on the airlift.

Thoughts?

Brian,

What are you doing to keep your system running 24/7?

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 11/19/14 02:07 PM.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: mnfish
Sorry for the hijack Cecil but I MUST...Brain that system of yours is growing and has a lot of cool factor going on. What do you think about trying to set up a "field trip" day? Very cool stuff!!!

Brian isn't that far from where the PB Conference is.... One more reason to go. wink grin

www.hoosierpondpros.com

MN,
I am writing an article for Bob, and I'll be doing a few videos on the system. Like Scott said, its an hour and a half from PBC, but if you show up, you will likely be put to work as well!!

Cecil,
I am running an airlift only system now and it does not require very much power. With that said, I over paneled for the heaters.

I am running a 24 volt system for now and i am making enough power for this setup.

Gird power is also available if needed, but the plan is to be power independent for these systems.

Scott,
if they come, they work and learn!!!!

Brian

Try not to be THAT 10%
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Highflyer,

Good to hear you are running airlifts and therefore reducing your power signature. Only way to go IMHO.

Also from my meager experience when it comes to raising fish in an artificial environment Murphy's Law definitely applies. So back up power, parts, etc. are paramount. I'm also a big believer in the K.I.S.S. principal, as from my experience the more complex something is the more things that can go wrong. Not profound of course but...

Not an expert by any means but I've learned a few things the hard way! And I can keep them alive for long periods of time now. :-)

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 11/19/14 09:33 PM.

M
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
M
Originally Posted By: highflyer
MN,
I am writing an article for Bob, and I'll be doing a few videos on the system. Like Scott said, its an hour and a half from PBC, but if you show up, you will likely be put to work as well!!

Cecil,
I am running an airlift only system now and it does not require very much power. With that said, I over paneled for the heaters.

I am running a 24 volt system for now and i am making enough power for this setup.

Gird power is also available if needed, but the plan is to be power independent for these systems.

Scott,
if they come, they work and learn!!!!

Brian if I can get there I will put in the work for the trade of knowledge, along with a lot of cold beers!

MN,
All the work is fun!! The solar stuff is pretty good to see and understand the scope. Seeing the panels, the batteries, the cabling, and the inverters brings it all into focus.

Brian

Try not to be THAT 10%
G
Lunker
Lunker
G
To listen to Brian’s explanation of his various solar projects, I am dumbfounded!
To see them hooked up, they becomes understandable.
To see them in operation is overwhelming!

Brian, thanks for letting me tag along and learn.
George

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Froggy Joe
Recent Posts
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves
by Bill Cody - 04/18/24 08:53 PM
How many channel cats in 1/5 acre pond?
by Dave Davidson1 - 04/18/24 08:41 PM