Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
KWL, Homestead 101, Willy Wonka, gautprod, JRM
18,493 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,956
Posts557,908
Members18,494
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,531
ewest 21,493
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,145
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 536 guests, and 196 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Lunker
Lunker
14 degrees here this morning...

They are forecasting a low of 11 degrees tomorrow morning and a low of 8 degrees Friday morning.

With the wind blowing and super cooling the pond this weather anomaly might take a toll on my RES. eek

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Shorty
14 degrees here this morning...

They are forecasting a low of 11 degrees tomorrow morning and a low of 8 degrees Friday morning.

With the wind blowing and super cooling the pond this weather anomaly might take a toll on my RES. eek

Hope not!

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Cecil, angle grinder or dremel and cut the bolts off. Then replace them. Cutting thru one side of the nut ususlly will loosen it enough to allow you to put a wrench or socket on it to turn it.

The storm dumped between 18" and 20" of snow up where we deer hunt. It won't be fun walking through knee deep snow during hunting season.....

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I've got a dremel but just need to get a bit to cut the nut. Was going to see if the hardware store had one since I have a vehicle today due to the wife being home sick.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Administrator
Lunker
Administrator
Lunker
Our low temp at 0665 was 9. Pond is pretty much frozen over though there is still open water in various areas.

Life is Good on Bremer Pond

Bremer Pond Weather
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Lunker
Won't be long now D - can't wait to see you and Stick's photos soon.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Originally Posted By: esshup
The storm dumped between 18" and 20" of snow up where we deer hunt. It won't be fun walking through knee deep snow during hunting season.....

Just on the radio that Marquette County in the UP got dumped on with 42.5" and more coming.

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Mail's here. Things are looking up! Here's to hoping the bottom falls out of the thermometer.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Originally Posted By: jims place
5 to 9 inches is just a dusting for you folks up North. Or so I hear, talking 2 or 3" for this weekend for us and we will be grateful if it happens. Is it just me or does it seem a tad early even for you Northern folks to be getting that much snow?

Actually, anything can happen in November up here. Usually into December before things start piling up, but have been hit on a number of occasions in November.

Nice thing, the way it looks, is the snow will be blowing North and South of where my property is so I can get a few more things done this weekend. Most recent a few minutes ago is possibly a light dusting from this, just a few flakes. I hope!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
It's really a roll of the dice on the weather this time of the year.

We go to Northern Wi. every year for the opener of firearms deer season. Every year it's the Saturday before Thanksgiving. In the past 10-12 years we've had 60+°F days and days where we were lucky the temp got up into double digits for a high. Some years there is no snow, other years like this year, there will be 18" to 24" of snow on the ground.

Back in the late mid to late '70's I don't think the temp got above 0°F and at night it sounded like there were hunters in the woods, shooting. The temp was cold enough that the trees were freezing and popping apart. I think the temp was between -25°F and -30°F at night. I know that the cabin that we stayed in was up off the ground on blocks, with an oil heater in it. The snow and ice melted off the boots and froze on the lineolium floor, inside the cabin.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Hear about the 2 soldiers walking guard duty in Thule Greenland in a blizzard. The first one said, "Man, it's cold.". The other one answered "Sure is, aren't you glad you're not In Amarillo, Texas tonight?".

Last edited by Dave Davidson1; 11/12/14 10:22 PM.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Lunker
Lunker
Originally Posted By: sprkplug
Mail's here. Things are looking up! Here's to hoping the bottom falls out of the thermometer.

T whats your favorite waxie dealer? I've used a few now, and haven't been very happy with any of them. Those look plump and healthy.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Yee Haa... 1st day of road skating!

Not much snow yet, but on the east-west roads, it melted and froze.

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Not waxies TJ....spikes. These came from Ja-Da bait. I can find waxies locally, but nobody carries maggies in these parts!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Tony, a local bait shop has (or at least they did last year) spikes in uncolored, red, green and blue varients.

I could even buy a "mixed lot" too.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

Lunker
Lunker
Huh, those looked like waxies. I got some spikes last year, didn't last long, hardly used them before they started going bad. Waxies lasted two months...I'll look into Jada - thanks. Hope your temps plummet!

Lunker
Lunker
I drove by 6 small ponds on the way home tonight, all of them were completely skimmed over. My little pond however was only 80% skimmed over. Have you checked your pond TJ?

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57
Huh, those looked like waxies.

Those look like something from a Chinese Buffet! Just need some sauce! wink

Lunker
Lunker
No, I'm headed out tomorrow to do some farm work now that temps and wind will finally allow. Also have to move another cord from the cribs back to the homestead and stack and cover before more snow Saturday. I imagine my arms are skimmed, main pond still open until we get a nice calm night. I bet we are fishing on the hard water by Wednesday...

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I think I may be screwed on my bluegill harvest this year from the pond. Waited and waited for two high schools to cycle their tanks and they're still not cycled yet. No idea why it's taking them so long. They started at the beginning of the school year. Anyway although I have one RAS tank available in the basement for the pond fingerling gills, the other is occupied by 5 to 8 inch yellow perch destined for the schools. I was hoping to grade the newly harvested 1 to 4 inch gills in both tanks as there is a big size difference. So I delayed seining the pond.

Anyway the pond is not only seriously infested wirh FA which makes sucessful seining next to impossible, but now the pond is ice covered. I'm going to wait for a moderation in temps (hopefully that will happen) and pump the pond down to almost nothing and hope to salvage as many bluegills as I can by scooping up fish on the deep end (the pond is sloped to one end).There are some really tubby saucer shaped 3 to 4 inch YOY in the pond. It would be ashame to lose them.

Live and learn! Next year the schools will get live media at the beginning of rhe school year (I have enough systems now where I can spare 2 cubic feet per school) and it looks like I will have to treat the pond with a granular algaecide prior to seining, or even not long after I fill the ponds to prevent the FA from getting the upper hand over the planktonic algae.

Not crazy about using a copper based product in a fingerly production pond but not sure if I have a choice.

Lunker
Lunker
It got down to a balmy 3 degrees here this morning which didn't feel all that bad as the wind wasn't blowing.

It was 24 here this morning, but the wind finally stopped. It easily seems like it's 20 degrees warmer. Even the deer have been hunkered down with our 15-20 mph winds. This morning I've seen 19 moving around on our property. I guess they didn't like the wind either.

So, I need insulated rubber boots. Anybody have the insulated Mucks, or other insulated rubber boots they'd recommend?

AL

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
I am real close to buying a pair of Muck Arctic Pros. I tried them on and was quite impressed. Those who have them seem very satisfied also.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Dang Cecil that's too bad. Been wonderin with the quick drop in temps what ya were gonna do. Is there a reason ya can't leave the BG in the big pond to overwinter? Are ya just all filled up and depend on the high school ras for room? Wish I had an extra pond ta lend ya but I ain't like the wealthy guys on here with many bow. Hope all turns out well and if it don't tough shirt!! Yer friend (ha ha), Bob-O

Do nature a favor, spay/neuter your pets and any weird friends or relatives.
Thanks Tony. I've got a couple of pair of regular Mucks, and love them.

AL

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
island_beam
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Theo!
by teehjaeh57 - 04/23/24 12:35 AM
Happy Birthday Sparkplug!
by teehjaeh57 - 04/23/24 12:34 AM
American Feeder H 125 Fish Feeder
by teehjaeh57 - 04/23/24 12:33 AM