Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Mcarver, araudy, Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi
18,502 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,963
Posts557,990
Members18,503
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,537
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
8 members (nvcdl, jmartin, Dave Davidson1, Fishingadventure, FishinRod, Bigtrh24, Sunil, catscratch), 1,186 guests, and 558 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#391775 11/06/14 12:30 AM
S
snrub Offline OP
OP Offline
S
I posted pics of this rock when we initially installed it but they were in another persons thread. So the first two pictures are repeats.

But we have not had enough rain to provide runoff to fully refill the pond until recently. So finally have some pictures with the rock with water around it like it is supposed to be.

Actually the pictures are when the pond is about 3" above full pool and water was running out the overflow. Right after a large rain so all three ponds were overflowing. So the water settles a little lower than in the pics....... about 3 more inches.

Carolynn wanted a big rock along the bank, so when she did walks around the pond, she could sit and............... not sure what, contemplate the world I guess. But she wanted a big rock to sit on. She wanted a BIG rock. Like the size of a pickup truck. After explaining the weight, logistics, freight and cost of obtaining such a rock she settled on this big sandstone in the picture. It was actually a cornerstone rock from the addition on our 1900 era barn. It was taken out during repairing of the foundation. The rock was quarried not far from here probably about a hundred years ago.

With the water level low this summer, I dug down deep into the clay bank a couple feet, filled with rock and concrete mix for a foundation, then laid sandstone rocks with concrete mortar and finally "the rock" on top. Setting it carefully on there with the telehandler without knocking everything over (and having it tumble to the bottom of the pond - I ain't goin after it if it goes.....) was no picnic, but grandson Bret and I got the job done.

Anyway, here is our pond rock in all its glory, from installation to full pool. Only my wife can think of such things. Now she can dangle her feet in the water while contemplating whatever it is women contemplate. It's a complete mystery to me.

Attached Images
051.JPG 053.JPG 028.JPG 029.JPG 022.JPG

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
D
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
D
I like that. I have some monster rocks but only a 40 HP John Deere FEL to manage them.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
L
L
I like it also. When I had my pond constructed, I asked the builder to deposit some of the larger specimens dug out of the hole up above the water line for sitting and fishing from. He found some really large ones and set them up high and in some nice spots.

A few weeks after the pond started filling, as heavy as they were, they started sliding down the mud into the basin like they were on sleds. I started with about 6 large 400lb+ boulders, now there are only two above the water line and they are sitting on-edge so they are useless. Two of the largest made it all the way to the bottom of the pond. At least they stopped moving... for now.

Lesson is: Anchor the darned things to some really solid earth with long, pounded-in metal post/spikes or something.

L
L
Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1
I like that. I have some monster rocks but only a 40 HP John Deere FEL to manage them.

You can do it by hand if you have the time and are clever. I have seen some very large rocks moved out of fields by the Amish using nothing but a lumber tripod and a long lumber arm and makeshift basket of chains or ropes. Just a very large lever and some backs. It was cool to see, and I could see that that could easily help position rocks for landscaping purposes as you could counterweight one end so you can manage some pretty heavy loads into position.

S
snrub Offline OP
OP Offline
S
I admire those skills.

If you ever get a chance to visit the Coral Castle in Florida, it is a rock wonder that a single guy built without using any large machines. All by hand. Hand quarried coral rock blocks. Coral Castle.com Not even my loving wife is going to talk me into doing THAT.

But then I've got this telehandler sitting in the shed................. yuppp, gonna use it.

Last edited by snrub; 11/06/14 10:33 AM.

John

S
snrub Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Yeah you buddy (liquidsquid) were part of the problem. I showed her your pond and your big rocks you had posted in your thread. She wanted one. grin

With the water low in the pond this summer, grandson and I were able to dig a good hole just above the then water line down deep enough into the solid compacted clay of the dam that I THINK this one will stay in place. But no guarantees. We poured a pretty good foundation of concrete and let it set up before starting laying the support rocks in. Water actually runs underneath this rock being supported by smaller rocks then the foundation.

Sorry to hear yours did not stay in place. At least you have fish habitat! Maybe you will catch a lunker beside one of those big rocks on the bottom some day.

John

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Also nice rock to fish from. Good idea and nice placement of the thinking rock.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
S
snrub Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Thanks.

It is a good place to fish from. I built just a slight cove in the dam just to the left of where the rock is so there is a slight point right at the rock. I often stand up on the rock and fish off of it, as it seems the BG like the transition of that point to cove.

Last edited by snrub; 11/06/14 11:20 AM.

John

Originally Posted By: snrub
I admire those skills.

If you ever get a chance to visit the Coral Castle in Florida, it is a rock wonder that a single guy built without using any large machines. All by hand. Hand quarried coral rock blocks. Coral Castle.com Not even my loving wife is going to talk me into doing THAT.

If you read more about that guy, you will find out that he actually was from my country - Latvia smile
But that's an offtopic, sorry.

S
snrub Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Great tidbit of information Grundulis! But that begs the question, are all you Latvians that crazy? laugh laugh laugh laugh

I guess "dedicated to love" would be a kinder gentler way of putting it. grin

John

Originally Posted By: snrub
Great tidbit of information Grundulis! But that begs the question, are all you Latvians that crazy? laugh laugh laugh laugh

I guess "dedicated to love" would be a kinder gentler way of putting it. grin

Not really smile
You see, I can't even dig a pond with a simple shovel. Maybe I'm not in love that much laugh

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Recent Posts
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Fishingadventure - 04/27/24 01:11 PM
1/2 Acre Pond Build
by teehjaeh57 - 04/27/24 10:51 AM
YP Growth: Height vs. Length
by Snipe - 04/26/24 10:32 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by esshup - 04/26/24 10:00 PM
Non Iodized Stock Salt
by jmartin - 04/26/24 08:26 PM
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves