Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Jward87, Kanon M, KWL, Homestead 101, Willy Wonka
18,495 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,960
Posts557,935
Members18,496
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,493
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,145
Who's Online Now
8 members (SetterGuy, Dave Davidson1, Sunil, gautprod, Bigtrh24, rjackson, Theo Gallus, Shorthose), 716 guests, and 192 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Every website I participate in similar to this website has one. It doesn't have to be in competition with the commercial vendors here that sell retail as a business and advertise here. I'm talking about the average Joe or Jill here that has something pond related to sell or swap like a used pump, or a few fish, or something that someone else could use here. Not someone that regularly sells things as a business and therefore wouldn't be in competition with the advertisers here.

Case in point: I have a hobby farm where I try and hatch most of my own fish and then grow them out for my market selling trophy fish to fellow taxidermists. Every year I have a few hundred extra YOY fish and I'd be happy to sell them at a competitive price to someone here that resides in my state. I have no interest in producing fish solely for stocking ponds and don't have the capacity if I did. However the way the site is set up I have to be regular advertiser to do so, which would probably exceed the selling price of a few extra fsh.

It could be a revenue generator for the website as a small fee could be charged to post something for sale or swap. Or one could get the green light to post something if the poster agrees to make a donation of his choice? Or if you donate to the website at some point in the year you are free to post something for swap or sale?

I'm sure there are some negatives but I think if one could learn from other sites or address the potentional negatives with intelligent thought and this new category would enhance the website.

Thoughts?

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 10/31/14 09:09 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

P
P
Cecil
I like the idea

Pat W

R
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
R
Good idea...

Just do it...
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Thoughts? I try ta avoid em.

Do nature a favor, spay/neuter your pets and any weird friends or relatives.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I've had more than just a little experience with this. As a moderator, I would not be in favor of such a service. But, it really is Pond Boss Lusk's decision.

I expressed my opinions years ago on this thread: Can we get a new forum section?

On other forums I'm involved with, we have had a number of issues with scams. For the moderators and administrators of this site, we constantly are eliminating spammers that make it past our fairly extensive security software every night. My feeling is that the scammers would do the same, causing liability for Pond Boss, the administrators, and the moderators.

I would also refer people to this thread on a site where I am active: Anatomy of an Internet Scam. It is one of a number of similar threads. Each new technique to try and solve the problem results in other issues.

My personal feeling would be that if we were to start such a service, it would need to be monitored full time by a professional -- probably paid.

Regards,
Ken

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Makes sense Ken and of course it's Bob's site and decision. However on two sites I frequent with one I'm a moderator on, it's not an issue. One of the two had only had one ad put up and that was moi.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 11/02/14 09:02 AM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Is it possible to try it and then discontinue it when there is trouble? The option for it would not have to be cast in stone. It seems to be pretty easy for a moderator to "yank" a thread.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
In the taxidermy website I frequent there are guidelines but the website takes no responsibility for any bad dealings that may happen. And I've never seen any spam in the For Sale category. There are probably up to 50 things posted a day with no issues.

I doubt there would be much activity on this website. But it would be nice service for members and a way to drum up some income.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 11/02/14 12:41 PM.

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
I like the idea of a minimum number of posts needed before being able to buy/sell.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: sprkplug
I like the idea of a minimum number of posts needed before being able to buy/sell.

That would take care of the spammers wouldn't it?

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I don't know if such a system could be set up automatically, or if it would take a manual "hand" from the mods.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Administrator
Lunker
Administrator
Lunker
Frankly, moderators and administrators have more than enough work to do on the forum without adding a forum-mart. It sounds simple but that is only the surface of it.

Life is Good on Bremer Pond

Bremer Pond Weather
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Perhaps more help is needed? Is it really that much trouble?

How about a peek below the surface into a typical day for a mod/admin?? I will admit to knowing next to nothing about forum mechanics, but if the thing truly requires that much hands on, why?

Administrator
Lunker
Administrator
Lunker
Perhaps more help is needed? Is it really that much trouble?

How about a peek below the surface into a typical day for a mod/admin?? I will admit to knowing next to nothing about forum mechanics, but if the thing truly requires that much hands on, why?

We are all volunteers and most of us have a life and jobs or businesses to run. Resources are limited.

Life is Good on Bremer Pond

Bremer Pond Weather
J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
On another forum I swing by from time to time, if you are a paid subscriber to the forum, you can post stuff for sale. Lifetime membership is about $100.00.

I rarely see anyone posting something for sale. It's more like someone asking (which can be a standard member) if anyone knows where to get an obsolete piece of hardware from or a programming cable that hasn't been produced in quite a while. Someone may have it in their bag of tricks and they take it to PM's. A friend of mine in GR came up with a programming cable for an obsolete Panasonic servo, which is actually Fanuc. The guy was ecstatic!

If I need a cable for something obsolete, I just use breakout boards from ASI with the right connectors on each end. Lifesavers in a pinch.

They do have 26 mod's, plus the admin. Pretty sure the mod's are paid to an extent.

Quite a bit of international traffic on the site as well so they do have some really strict rules.

If you are someone from anywhere in the world even mentioning you have a control system that is password protected and you need to get into it... wink

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J

There is a homestead forum I use to stop by a few years ago, and they had a buy/sell category. Seemed to work from what I have noticed at the time. You did need to make 50 valid posts that the mod's were OK with before you could add a pic or insert a link into any post you made. The other option was to actually talk to one of the mods on the phone to lift the 50 post restriction.

A few of the mod's had over inflated egos on this homesteading stuff and I felt they were a tad dangerous giving their expert opinion on how to cobble up electrical stuff shocked wink

Editor, Pond Boss Magazine
Lunker
Editor, Pond Boss Magazine
Lunker
Guys,
Sounds like a good idea on the surface.
While I'm an optimistic person and love good ideas, I'm in the unenviable spot to have to fulfill these good ideas.
Seems we are all stretched pretty thin. That's the moderators, and our staff at PB. We're working overtime on the upcoming conference right now and I'm about to start on the Jan-Feb issue of the magazine as well. I don't like to do things if I'm not convinced we can do it right. Plus, I need to think about our advertisers, too. An example of that is what happens when someone makes a home made aeration system and then wants to sell it on our forum? I'll hear about it from paying advertisers and then those who buy these products from the website. Who guarantees the stuff for sale? If someone sells something that's defective, how do the complaints affect us?
Here are the biggest obstacles:
1) Not enough staff to bird dog this daily.
2) Protecting our good, vetted, advertisers.
3) Not enough money to justify the effort.

If I had some comfort level of overcoming these primary obstacles, I'd sure consider doing it.

Teach a man to grow fish...
He can teach to catch fish...
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
I hate to be the one to come out and ask the question that's on everyone's mind, but just for my own information (and to make sure I don't screw up) I'll pick up a stick and go one more round with that dead horse.

Would it be possible to define the parameters of what is allowable, (if anything) and what is verboten?

In other words, what happens now if someone has some fish they want to give away to a good home? Direct competition, or okay?

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Hey Bob, always works on the surface, but get to the nuts-n-bolts of actually making it work. Not worth the trouble.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
No problem here. Just thought I'd ask and I know too well what it's like to volunteer when you have other things going on. That's why I don't do it anymore. LOL

Bob,

Thanks for considering it and the thoughtful response.

D
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
D
I personally don't like it and it's been brought up before. Let's say that someone sells something that doesn't meet another persons expectations. Or the check bounces or.......

Like John Wayne said in a movie' "My fault, your fault, nobodys fault, etc.". This stuff can lead to hard feelings. And we all do our double damndest to keep that from happening.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1

Like John Wayne said in a movie' "My fault, your fault, nobodys fault, etc."

And now *you* understand. Anything goes wrong, anything at all... your fault, my fault, nobody's fault... it won't matter - I'm gonna blow your head off. No matter what else happens, no matter who gets killed I'm gonna blow your head off.

Big Jake. wink

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1
I personally don't like it and it's been brought up before. Let's say that someone sells something that doesn't meet another persons expectations. Or the check bounces or.......

Like John Wayne said in a movie' "My fault, your fault, nobodys fault, etc.". This stuff can lead to hard feelings. And we all do our double damndest to keep that from happening.

Right ON DD1! That's why they have ebay and other venues. Product experiences are always helpful tho.

D
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
D
Yep, I was too lazy to put in the whole thing.

BTW, the next line that I remember from the movie is "I thought you were dead.".

The response "Not hardly".

Jacob McCandless

Last edited by Dave Davidson1; 11/02/14 09:18 PM.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
I don't think there is really anything stopping an honorable member from making a post saying "I'm selling a few tanks. If anyone is interested, send me a PM."

Or something like that.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
jeffreythree, ShortCut
Recent Posts
What did you do at your pond today?
by Sunil - 04/24/24 07:49 AM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Fishingadventure - 04/23/24 10:22 PM
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves
by esshup - 04/23/24 10:00 PM
Concrete pond construction