Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,050
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,407
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
2 members (Rainman, Bobbss), 284 guests, and 147 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#391226 10/31/14 06:04 AM
lassig Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
With the storm coming today the waves breaking on the south shore of Lake Michigan may just spray all the way to you. 20+ foot waves forecasted today. Enjoy the first winter storm of the season and the lake effect snow. Lets us know when the snow starts

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Not quite snowing here yet, but could start anytime. News said we could get some. Seems to be a tad windy out.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
No accumulation expected for my area but I'm not in the lake effect belt. Perhaps Esshup.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Yep! It's snowing right now!

lassig Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
was snowing in Naperville/Aurora this morning. Clear here but windy and cold only 37 right now

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Earlier today it was snowing hard enough that I couldn't see 200 yds. Nothing is sticking, the ground is still too warm. Temps then were in the middle 30's. Today started out at 33°F, and it's warmed all the way up to 38°F. They are calling for 50 mph winds out of the NNW turning to NNE, so if you are still in Naperville, you might see some lake effect.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Man.....you guys are ALMOST makin me homesick !!! We had a cold front come through the central Fl area last night and another tonight that is supposed to keep the highs tomorrow to the low 70s and lows in the 40s. ALL the ol Blue hairs are runnin for cover.

Do nature a favor, spay/neuter your pets and any weird friends or relatives.
J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
It came down pretty thick for a while here. Way too warm for it to stick, and I hope it don't stick all winter! Supposed to be about like last year tho.

Last edited by JKB; 10/31/14 08:46 PM.
lassig Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
No sitting at home in Browning. People I work with told me it was snowing up there. I think I nuts but I going to the tree stand tonight. LOTS of movement yesterday in the afternoon and I was stuck working. I could see bucks chasing out my office window.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
The rut is definately on. But, 25 mph gusting to possibly 50 mph (we've seen 36 mph gusts so far, average is 22 mph) and rain will make for a miserable sit, plus trying to track one if it starts pouring after it's stuck.......

We're supposed to shoot sporting clays in the morning, so after I get caught up on some stuff in the office I'll be checking to see if I have enough shells. If not, I can load up enough in a hurry if I don't.

I thought you might be up there chasing geese.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Snow/icy mix right now. Too warm for it to amount to anything.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Don't know how many kids will be hitting the streets soon, but if I were them, I would opt for something dry and warm!

P
P
Ahh to live in Texas! Shorts and T shirt today!

Pat W

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Still snowing and blowing, LARGE flakes now, and the temp is dropping quick. 33°F now and the snow is starting to stick. Visibility is between 100 to 300+ yds depending how heavy the snow squalls are. According to the radar, they are still due to Lake Michigan. Time to put the heavy coat on and go drain the hoses so the hose bibs don't freeze and break tonight.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

esshup, you glad you already got that caulking done?

Be safe.

AL

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I had to run for cover on the last window, then used a bunch of paper towels on it to dry it once the rain passed. YES, that's one more thing crossed off the list.

But, about half way thru I noticed that the caulk that I was using was very similar to the stuff that I was removing because it was hard. I read the label and ended up running to Lowes. The stuff that dad had purchased was NOT silicone caulk, and it will dry and pull away from the metal after a year or so.

So, I'll have to re-do half the windows next spring, or if the temps get back into the high 60's - low 70's I can finish it this year yet. cry

Last edited by esshup; 10/31/14 06:31 PM. Reason: fat fingers

www.hoosierpondpros.com

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
I'm ready.

I can't ever see myself heading south to escape colder weather. There are too many simple pleasures brought on by a definitive change of seasons. Remember being a kid, and wishing that Christmas morning would come around a lot more often? Then as we got older we realized that a big part of the magic lied in the fact that it only came once a year...the waiting, and the anticipation, was actually a large part of the appeal. It wouldn't be special if it happened all the time.

That's the way it is with me and the changing seasons. I like for all four to be unique, and to bring something different to the table. I don't want it to be 60-70 degrees in December or January. I LIKE the way I feel when I'm outside in the cold, then I come in to a warm wood fire. Sure, I've been outside in triple digit heat and exclaimed "ahh" when I came in to the air conditioning....but it's not even close to the same experience.

A snowy, cold winter is a reset. Time to pause, reflect, and plan ahead. And partake of activities which can only happen under frosty circumstances.

Simple pleasures for a simple mind. smile

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Tony you're brilliant. I couldn't have said it any better. I'm a big big believer in variety is the spice of life and 4 seasons is variety. And you can't appreciate something unless you've experienced the other end of the spectrum. Well said!

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 10/31/14 08:36 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
Hey guys, I like change of seasons as well.
Spent a little time in "tropical paradise" on an island in the Pacific in another life, and got jungle rot on my toes.
Spent some time in Alaska and High Arctic Canadian Islands - thinking about it makes me shiver.

I'll take Texas weather any day any day of the week - even 100 degree weather to avoid extended cold northern winters.

Our population is exploding from all the Yankees moving to Texas - it's a novelty to find a native Texan in these parts any more!

By the way our temp is 38 degrees this morning.
Been having some really nice fall weather and we have rain forecast for the next five days.

Cheers,
George

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)

Light frost here this morning, and deer moving everywhere. After a long hard year of getting settled in at the farm, it'll be nice to drain and store all my outdoor power tools for the winter. All except the chainsaws and pole saws, which will be in hyper drive for the next few months.

Originally Posted By: sprkplug
...I LIKE the way I feel when I'm outside in the cold, then I come in to a warm wood fire....

Tony, that's the feeling we get when we burn brush piles. We save them for the cooler weather, and nothing's better than babysitting a huge brush pile. We always hate losing any trees, but it smells like BBQ for miles.

So Scott, how much snow did you get?

AL

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
There was .2" reported at the South Bend Airport, but with the warm ground temp nothing stuck for long. There was slush on the wooden deck. 27°F here this a.m.

Where we hunt in Wi. there was 6" of snow....... So, I expect there to be snow on the ground when we are up there for the deer opener on the 22nd. Last year, there was about 6" on the ground too, and when we left the house in the morning I think the thermometer said +5°F, but the wind was going about 20 mph. Not a fun morning IIRC.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

S
S
I like the four seasons also. We have had a wonderful fall here this year. Just like to experience limited amounts of winter. grin Flip-flops and shorts seem to be more my style than insulated coveralls and long underwear.

Really cold weather makes all my arthritic joints ache. Fingers hurt, joints hurt. Warmer climate in the winter just saves me a lot of pain. Plus I don't like diving in a dry suit all that well, so warm water works better for my hobby.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
P
P
George 1

I'm with you. As a native Texan I like the fall but I like my crocs and shorts.

Pat W

lassig Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
that was two weeks for the opener. Not coming back up till thanksgiving. When out last night and only saw a doe and a small buck. This morning I saw two does. Thursday night was the time to be out. Lots of movement. Hope it picks up soon, but I am off for the next two weeks just encase.

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
31 degrees here this morning headed down to 21 tonight....or so they say. Thus far today, the high has climbed to 44. Headed out in a few to plant ginseng, which is another reason I like cold weather. A lot of what we like to do depends on a substantial winter chill period.

Al, I hear you on the brush pile issue. Truly a simple pleasure if there ever was one. I guess for me, the harshness of winter actually brings with it a certain satisfaction. I have friends and family that usually escape the cold by heading south for the winter, and a few of them seem to delight in issuing regular weather forecasts from their supposed semi-tropical slices of paradise, in the mistaken belief that those unfortunate souls left behind are suffering. And quite honestly, I'm sure that some are. But not this guy....as I tell them, "I'm not here because I have to be, I'm here because I choose to be"

Certainly there are those folks who benefit in some fashion from escaping the cold weather, and I'm happy for them. But on the other hand, I was taught that patience is an admirable trait, absence makes the heart grow fonder, and having to wait makes one appreciate the thing that much more when it finally arrives. And that is exactly what winter is to me. I'm not a big fan of the instant gratification society that surrounds me, and believe that some who choose to see and act on only the negatives associated with cold weather are actually missing a big part of picture.

I don't want to be able to take the boat out 52 weeks out of the year, or work on my tan right after eating Thanksgiving dinner, or go play a round of golf on New Year's day.

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under heaven. I personally don't believe that means all season long, nor all of the time. smile

Anyway, just my take on things. For those who choose differently, well that's how it should be in the first place. Being able to choose is something not to be taken lightly.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Rainman - 03/28/24 02:53 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Mark Dyer - 03/27/24 10:18 PM
Reducing fish biomass
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:17 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by Bill Cody - 03/27/24 10:18 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??