Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,901
Posts557,097
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,415
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
11 members (Dylanfrely, Angler8689, Sunil, esshup, jpsdad, azteca, BillyE, H20fwler, FishinRod, Augie, PRCS), 713 guests, and 264 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Pat, I'm very aware of their stinger. Remember Steve Erwin? Weird thing about that is about a week after Erwin got it a stingray jumped into a boat and killed some 72 yr old fisherman here in Fl.

Do nature a favor, spay/neuter your pets and any weird friends or relatives.
Bob-O #390370 10/23/14 12:25 AM
P
OP Offline
P
Bob I know you are .... I was funnin ya
Those things can put a hurt on ya

Pat W

Last edited by Pat Williamson; 10/23/14 04:53 PM.
I ate a lot of stingray when I was in Asia. They wrapped it in foil with some kind of barbecue sauce and barbecued it. Fantastic!! They did not fillet it. Just cut the wings into big chunks. There are no bones except for a boney plate right down the middle so easy to avoid while eating. The meat has a grain to it kind of like beef.

Can somebody send me the filleting videos to my e-mail? Would really like to see them but for some reason my web browser will not let me view them from the post here.

Thanks!

By the way, I am a big fan of yellow perch for a good fish fry!

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
P
OP Offline
P
Flounder is good if eaten fresh not frozen, shame there aren't many in fresh water

Pat W

There are a few lakes that have stocked red fish

Pat,

Man, carefully cut the backbone out of that thing and stuff it with crabmeat and shrimp in a garlic sauce....its like a spiritual experience.

Last edited by stickem'; 10/30/14 06:22 PM.

...when in doubt...set the hook...
P
OP Offline
P
AMEN to that

R
RER Offline
R
Originally Posted By: Pat Williamson
Flounder is good if eaten fresh not frozen, shame there aren't many in fresh water

Pat W

There are a few lakes that have stocked red fish

I have some in fresh water....

They will do just fine if you could lobby to get "them" to stock some for you in your local lakes.

Goofing off is a slang term for engaging in recreation or an idle pastime while obligations of work or society are neglected........... Wikipedia
RER #391202 10/30/14 09:08 PM
P
OP Offline
P
Bobby

I have heard that a few Texas lakes have them. Talk about fun.... Those guys can hammer a bait. Can just see ole bass cruising along and get eaten by a flounder. Lol

Pat W

R
RER Offline
R
Originally Posted By: Pat Williamson
Bobby

I have heard that a few Texas lakes have them. Talk about fun.... Those guys can hammer a bait. Can just see ole bass cruising along and get eaten by a flounder. Lol

Pat W

I posted a video of a blue gill getting eaten by a flounder on here someplace. It is cool how they just jump up off the bottom.

And Yes fresh flounder is hard to beat as table fare.

Last edited by BobbyRice; 10/31/14 07:13 AM.

Goofing off is a slang term for engaging in recreation or an idle pastime while obligations of work or society are neglected........... Wikipedia
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Bobby, I remember that video and IIRC your wife shot it. It was remarkable as to how well the Flounder was camouflaged and how fast it was. Hope someone who is good at resurrecting old posts (Ewest) will post the link for it. Anyone who hasn't seen it should. Keep your wife recording and you keep posting such interesting events.
Are you braced for the terrible cold front headed our way? he guessers are predicting lows in the 40s. Brrrr !! Good thing is tho that the 40 are the present highs in In. Nice deer huntin weather tho.

Bob-O #392986 11/20/14 12:40 PM
P
OP Offline
P
Guys how do these tilapia stack up for eating? Store bought ain't bad but bad for you the way they are raised and WHERE. Anybody eat them from their ponds?

Pat W

Last edited by Pat Williamson; 11/20/14 02:54 PM.
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
PW - I think that if you clean, cook, and eat one of the pond raised tilapia you will be very surprised at how well they taste regardless of how they are prepared.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
Interesting. I have always thought of tilapia tasting along the same line as RKB. Ok, if nothing else is biting. I will have to give them another try.

[Linked Image]
P
OP Offline
P
Bill
Thanks will throw some in next spring for fish forage and people forage. You hear so many things not so good about tilapia that one doesn't know if they are edible or not

Pat W

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
If you go back in culinary history, there isn't much that hasn't been a delicacy.

Some of my friends from the forum have given me a reputation for my off-beat tastes. Yet, if I put a pound or two of these off-beat samples on a platter, nothing lasts more than a few seconds.

As far as I can tell, I still have at least a few personal Pond Boss friends who have enjoyed some of my delicacies. All are still alive.

We've eaten many of these delicacies together, whether formerly furry, scaly, or feathered. They know that I will work with most anything from roadkill frogs to fresh porcupine.

One evening, some of the most squeamish devoured over a pound of gelatinized pickled pig's knuckles in seconds. Then they filled up on venison pastrami.

In my many years of fishing, hunting, and cooking, the only thing I've not found a good way to fix, is fresh water clams.

Other than that, it is all good -- except maybe for an old boar bear.

There is nothing like suckerhead soup. Creek chubs, gutted cleaned and soaked in Italian dressing for about an hour, dipped in a little flour with paprika and crushed garlic, and deep fried at 375F till crispy brown, sure make a great appetizer with some fresh horse radish mixed with a little ketchup.

Ken

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
F
F
The few times I have had tilapia out of the pond they were good. I found the meat to be not nearly as dry as the store bought fish. Any body else find it this way?

With tilapia you have to be able to catch them. After trying for hours to get one on a hook, you'll be ready to eat, so of course it will taste good.

Why are they so hard to catch? I have been messing with the tilapia in an aquarium for a while now. You watch them at feeding time and they go into a frenzy, as they will in a pond when pellets are thrown out. But they have this scary sense of what goes in their mouth: is it good, bad, different. I imagine a lot of fish are this way, but I come to really appreciate how the tilapia do it. They seems to suck everything in, but then let it roll around in their mouth and analyze it. I've witness them pick up the smallest things floating around in the water and spit it out at the slightest notion. They suck up mouths full of stones, carry them over to another area and spit them out(nest building). Then when they have a mouth full of eggs, they roll them around inside to keep them healthy. I have read that if any of the eggs are not fertilized, they can sense this and will swallow those and not the good ones. Then those little fry start swimming around in their mouth, not being swallowed either. Seems like extreme dexterity and control to me.

So....., with trying to get one on a hook, it will be a challenge. I have found that when I do, they are pretty feisty and fun, and yes, good to eat.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
If it is any consolation, IMO practically all 'farm' pond raised tilapia will be from much better water quality than commercially available tilapia. Some of the tilapia from the 'store' have had an off flavor but never any from local ponds including those that Rainman has hauled.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
That is probably why I have the perception that tilapia is just "OK" table fare. I have only had the "store" bought kind.

[Linked Image]
P
P
Originally Posted By: Bill D.
That is probably why I have the perception that tilapia is just "OK" table fare. I have only had the "store" bought kind.

Same with me. Tilapia is the most common fish on restaurant menus around here now and I don't care for it. I even tried it at Red Lobster once. It seems to have an okay flavor but some sort of weird after taste to me but my wife likes it. If they weren't illegal here I would try a few in the pond and I imagine they would be better fresh from good water.

I was thinking about trying a few in my pond also. Anybody know if they will survice in a Northern Illinois pond, if they are legal in Illinois and, if legal, where I can get some?

[Linked Image]
F
F
Bill, In my pond and would assume yours to be in the same temp range, they survive from May till September. Of course every year the weather is different so you will get some varying to those times.

In that short period, they can easily get to be a pound or so.

For starters, contact Rainman for tilapia stocking and to find out if the are legal in your state.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Bill Cody
If it is any consolation, IMO practically all 'farm' pond raised tilapia will be from much better water quality than commercially available tilapia. Some of the tilapia from the 'store' have had an off flavor but never any from local ponds including those that Rainman has hauled.

Very True. Stay away from the imported tilpia as you have no idea the conditions they were raised in. No standards like we have here. A fish farmer I know said he visited Thailand and will never eat another tilapia from that country again. Said he was appalled by the condition of the ponds.

The tilapia I have raised in my aquaponics system are some of the best fish I have ever eaten. Not sure if the plants consuming the nitrates has anything to do with it.

OTOH I doubt you'll get aftertaste issues in RAS raised tilapia raised here in the states. They typically purge them for a few days before slaughter.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 11/22/14 11:16 AM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Hope PW or Bobby Rice can answer this for me. Up home and many other places folks eat and enjoy CC BH BC and Flathead catfish. Most everywhere I've been around saltwater, everyone makes nasty faces or asks if I'm just dim when I ask about cookin catfish. I mean they look almost exactly like CC. As Catman stated, suckers and even Carp that come from clean water and are prepared/cooked correctly can be delicious.
Also I was at a seafood festival. They had Rock Crabs at $20 a plate but Mullet for $8 a plate. When the Mullet are runnin, there's almost a guy smoking and sellin em on every corner. Had several folks tell me that they're great and several say they should be avoided. Any thoughts from any of the salties that are here?

Bob-O #393119 11/22/14 11:54 AM
J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Well, Bob-O,

The last Time I got a haircut, and it was fairly long at the time. The gal with the snips actually gave me a Mullet eek

Didn't ask for that, but she thought I would look cute with her hair styling wizardry, and she is a transplant from someplace where Mullets are cool.

Glad I had enough hair left after that to get it fixed! Sheesh!!!

Bob-O #393120 11/22/14 12:00 PM
S
S
Tilapia, good or bad?

Consider shrimp. Imported they are mediocre to downright nasty. Fresh gulf shrimp are wonderful.

Great fish in bad water yields bad fish. Bad fish in good water yields great fish that are even better when cooked well.!

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by Sunil - 03/28/24 05:33 PM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by jpsdad - 03/28/24 04:51 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by BillyE - 03/28/24 04:35 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
Alum vs Bentonite/Lathanum for Phosphorus Removal?
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 04:23 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by ewest - 03/28/24 03:37 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass