Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,119
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,420
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
5 members (Fishingadventure, RogersTailgate, jpsdad, anthropic, Brev), 714 guests, and 197 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#390174 10/20/14 03:04 PM
F
Flame Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Hey everyone, For those that were concerned that a D4 was too small for my 2 acre pond I listened!! I have a D6 and a D4 out there working as of this morning!! Found the whole area nothing but good clay. My D6 operator has been building ponds for over 50 years. I was very lucky to get him and the weather is supposed to be beautiful for a solid week. Wish me luck and thanks for all the help!!

Dear Alcohol, We had a deal where you would make me funnier, smarter, and a better dancer... I saw the video... We need to talk.
M
mpc Offline
M
GOOD LUCK, Sounds like a good start to a great pond. Good time of year to start, so maybe some good fall/spring rains may help it fill a little faster. A D6 can push a bunch of dirt.

Take lots of pics, if you can and let us watch the progress!!!

Last edited by mpc; 10/20/14 06:22 PM. Reason: spelling

Life is more fun with a pole in your hand.
F
Flame Offline OP
OP Offline
F
MPC I am near Pineland Tx. I think we play Big Sandy in football. D4 worked 9 hours today and D6 worked 9 hours. Both will start again at7 a.m. I am sure hopeing to be complete in one week. I am taking photos and will figure out how to get them on the forum. Have ruled out in the dam pipes and am going with a nice large spillway. My pond is at the top of my hill and has 21 acres to run off into that I own. Also a large creek surrounds the outside of my property. Dozer dug 2 foot down and started hitting perfect clay all around. I am having a dam on 3 sides with a 20 foot wide freeboard. 3 to 1 slope on the water and 4 to 1 on the back side. I feel like a kid at Christmas!! As always, any pointers are appreciated.

Dear Alcohol, We had a deal where you would make me funnier, smarter, and a better dancer... I saw the video... We need to talk.
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Photobucket works great with this site.

If you ain't gonna fart, why eat the beans?
RES,HBG,YP,HSB,SMB,CC,and FHM. .seasonal trout.
F
Flame Offline OP
OP Offline
F
It has been 5 ten hour days with the D6 and D4. Will be finished by noon tomorrow. Yaaaay!!!! We have had no rain. Got the full 2 acres. Approx. 300 ft. by 300 ft. Approx. 15 ft. deep near the dam totally surrounded by beautiful pine trees and only100 yards from my back porch.Cannot be seen from the road. Very quiet and secluded. I love it. Spent twice my budget to build but will be worth every penny of it. I will get pictures on the sight soon. Will start putting in old tire tripods on Monday. I have access to about 500 old tires.Top of dam is 20 ft wide and goes 3/4 around the pond. I will be able to drive all the way around the pond.Any suggestions now??

S
S
Try to make your tire structures tall. This allows the fish to move up and down in the water column to adjust to water temperature changes, seasons, etc.

One thing I have added since the pond filled (and would have been much easier done before it filled) is to add permanent boat moorings. My pond is 3 acres and you might not need or want them with 2 acres. But what I find is we are much more likely to fish from our small boat if we can tie up to something. We have lots of wind here, and managing the boat when it is windy is a pain. We tried a couple different anchors and between them dragging on the mud bottom then hanging up on structure they did not work well for us. Still have one of the anchors in the bottom of the pond. Wedged in some structure. You would think I could have found it scuba diving, but not so far.

I had structures made from old foundation concrete pieces so I just tied off from them. This has the added benefit of marking some of the major structures. I put every bit of structure in our pond so you would think I could look out over the pond and know where it is at. Within 50 feet maybe, but that is not close enough to keep from loosing a lure because of being off. Hmmmmm..... could have sworn that was over there a little more........ So the half dozen ropes out there with very small buoys not only provide places to tie the boat up to, but give me lots better reference points to locate even the structures that are not marked.

One way you could do it with your tire structures is put a few bags of sacrete concrete in a few of the tires and tie a rope with buoy to a heavy tire. You might not be planning on using a boat on your pond, or you may not have lots of wind, but if you do we use the moorings a lot with our small boat. Having several of them allows to account for different wind directions so we can tie up and have the boat in about any area of the pond we want.

Just an idea. Not for everyone. Some would not like the idea of the extra buoys and ropes out there. We used small 3" ones. We like it a lot.

Last edited by snrub; 10/24/14 08:10 PM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
S
S
Forgot to say congratulations! Glad things are coming along so well for you.

One other thing. Building a fixed dock is easier on dry land before the pond fills than after there is water in it.

John

F
Flame Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Thanks SNRUB. I am permentely installing a 28ft pontoon boat for my dock. I will build a wood walkway out to it. The boat will be attached to the bank from the water with steel rods and attached to augers in the ground for extra stabilization.Hope to have the water at least 6 ft deep at the boat and dropping off pretty drastically. we plan on buying a 4 man peddle boat to fish from. I will try to put my tires at around 6 ft deep. Is that about right? With approx. 20 tire piles strategically located will I still need any other cover?

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Get out the calculator. An acre pond has 43,560 square feet of surface area. You want to shoot for 20% of that in cover for the fish to use.

A small boat with an electric trolling motor will be much better to fish from than a paddle boat.......

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
F
Flame Offline OP
OP Offline
F
You guys might think I am crazy but I am considering putting my 20 ft. 1998 model skeeter bass boat in there. It just sits in the garage and never seems to get used. It is tournament ready with a 200 hp Yamaha and all the bells and whistles. I bought it new in 1998.I could probably sell it to pay for the pond but why not use it right? Only thing is leaving it out in the weather all the time.Next thing you know I would have to build a boat house.I could sell the outboard off of it. All I need is the trolling motor. Sounds crazy right?

R
R
I'd sell the boat to help pay for the pond and get something more suitable for the size pond you have.

Flame,
I just did the exact thing with my bay boat...used it only twice in the past 2 years. Plus, I don't have to pay storage any longer here in Houston. The extra $$$ helped to finish the pond...and I dont miss it!

...when in doubt...set the hook...
F
Flame Offline OP
OP Offline
F
stickem, The wife and I just decided today. We will sell the 200 hp.yamaha, fuel injected with jack plated for around $4000. Keep the boat and trailer. Use the boat in the pond with the trolling motor and depth finders. Would only bring about $10000 for boat motor and trailer. Would have to buy another small boat,trolling motor, batteries,depth finder, etc.so why not fish in luxury!! I fished proffessionaly for many years out of that boat. I hate to sell a part of my life. This way I don't feel guilty about it just sitting waisting away.I will make money on the motor and still get use from the boat now.I will keep it on the water all the time.Worst case scenario I could always sell the boat and trailer at a later date.I just got back from picking up my first load of tires for my fish attractors. What is the best rope to tie the tires together?

S
S
In certain situations you can drill holes and bolt together, or use lag bolts/screws. Holes do not drill to size so have to drill quite a lot larger hole than bolt size for easy insertion. Holes also don't drill easy through steel belts but sometimes drill will slip between cords so can be done. Farm implement tires are better in this respect because they usually only have steel cords in the beads.

Heavy galvanized wire like electric fencing wire is another option. Galvanized barb wire works (if you have some from an old fence) but nasty to handle. Use gloves. Plastic coated copper house wire works (if you have scraps from a project) but thieves will drain your pond to steal it if they find out............. Well maybe not, but thieves and copper wire are a problem and they will go to great lengths to work at stealing rather than getting a real job. grin

Drill holes to let gasses escape. Even if you initially get all the air out, pond gasses can fill the cavities back up, so holes needed on the top most part.

Last edited by snrub; 10/26/14 02:43 PM.

John

Flame....I ended up with 2) 14' alum jon boats rigged up with swivel seats and trolling motors. I have 2) kayaks as well at our river place. It seems I'm getting farther and farther from the saltwater of Galveston and Trinity Bays anyway. Everything has it's time....now, it's time to plan for something to fit my upcoming lifestyle (retirement).

Be sure to post some pics of you, "pond fishing in style"...lol

F
Flame Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Thanks everyone!! Stickem, How large is your pond? I was raised around edgebrook and the Gulf Fwy near hobby airport. I spent all my young life fishing and shrimping in Trinity bay out of La Porte and Texas City. I still drive to Rollover Pass a few times a year but moved to East Texas, Lake Sam Rayburn in 1980. I actually took my grandson down there surfing a few weeks ago. Just can't seem to get enough water!!!

Flame,
My pond is ~ 3/4 acre up in the piney woods east of Leggett, TX.

I am very familiar with the LaPorte area....I have a brother-in-law that still lives down there. I launched my 23' SeaPro many a day down there at the park. Also, went out of Anahuac and the Texas City Dike....nice facilities down that way to launch a boat. We used to rip those big reds and trout down there at the jetties....lots of good memories down that way...its nice to hook up with someone that knows and appreciates the area.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I've never tried it, but has anybody tried a Uni Bit to drill holes in tires? Lube with Dawn Dish Soap cut with water in a spray bottle?

They work VERY well in thin material where a regular drill bit will catch and grab.
http://www.irwin.com/tools/drill-bits/high-speed-steel-fractional-self-starting

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Never used a uni bit on tires, but I have cut holes in em' using a hole saw.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
F
Flame Offline OP
OP Offline
F
I have some unibits from Harbor freight. Probably not the best but I will try them today and let you know how it works. I have probably 100 yards of phone company plastic coated underground phone line. I think I will use it to tie the tires together. I got 30 old tires in my first load. Also, I got about 100 yards of old waterhose. Do you think the hose will work in some pvc pipe. It will crimp and hang down some but it should still work shouldn't it? Somewhere on here I read how to use 5 gallon buckets to make a mold for concrete so not having to buy so many buckets. Any suggestions?? I am going to assemble 3 tire triangles, drill holes and set them in place and wait for rain. Do I need to stake them down in any way or will they stay in place on their own weight??

F
Flame Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Update, The unibit drilled thru tire just fine but not a clean hole at all. Left all the cord hanging in the hole. I did use the hole saw and it cut a perfect clean hole and very easy to do. It is my new best friend for today.

S
S
The HF unibits are great in plastic. Tried them for tires without much luck. They tend to get hot instead of cut. Maybe the lubricant esshup talks about would help. Never tried that.

Tires will stay in place by themselves IF you have holes so no air being held. Out of the numerous ones I stacked had only one that floated to shore and had to drill some more holes and resink. I put rocks in a lot of mine just to be sure they stayed put and as a wedge to keep the sidewalls from colapsing on some of the flimsy ones.

John

S
S
Glad the hole saw worked. The unibit will work great for any thin plastic you need to drill like plastic barrels or buckets.

John

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Thanks for trying it. I wasn't sure how it'd work, but they work great in thin material. Yes, no matter what you are cutting, lube prolongs tool life and makes drilling or cutting easier (well, with the exception of most woods ;))

www.hoosierpondpros.com

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by RogersTailgate - 03/29/24 05:45 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by jpsdad - 03/29/24 05:43 AM
pond experience needed
by esshup - 03/29/24 12:45 AM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Newly Uploaded Images