Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
MidwestCass, Bucyrus22B, Steve Clubb, macman59, jm96
18,483 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,944
Posts557,788
Members18,483
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,508
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,141
Who's Online Now
2 members (Foozle, Croakin' Toad), 712 guests, and 276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
RC51 #389668 10/14/14 11:06 AM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
RC, take 5 minutes to write something to him every day, either on paper or electronically, and save it. He won't be able to get what you wrote for a while, but there will come a time when he will have a lot more free time, and I think he'll appreciate reading the notes to help pass the time.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1
They have a cure for those that are too stubborn.

But, in those days it wasn't optional.

Yeah they would even break down Tony. LOL It's amazing how even the toughest guys become complient. I did meet a guy in laundry that was being shipped home for punching a DI. Now that takes some balls! Don't know why he didn't go to the stockade.

The guy next to my locker found Jesus. LOL

RC51 the best advice you can give to your son is don't volunteer for anything and just try not to stick out. My dad briefed me on that before going into basic. Unfortunately the second part didn't work as i was a decade older than all those peach fuzz kids. Other thing he told me was once I got my bed made perfectly was to sleep on the floor. He didn't tell me the DI would come in the middle of the night and exclaim, "WTF!" LOL

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 10/14/14 11:50 AM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

esshup #389682 10/14/14 11:43 AM
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: esshup
RC, take 5 minutes to write something to him every day, either on paper or electronically, and save it. He won't be able to get what you wrote for a while, but there will come a time when he will have a lot more free time, and I think he'll appreciate reading the notes to help pass the time.

Oh heck Scott we got mail call every day. High point of our day.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

RC51 #389683 10/14/14 11:53 AM
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: RC51
Thanks everyone, I just dropped him off this morning and shook his hand and had to walk away...... My little boy I just left him there like a lost puppy!! frown Man that was hard!! I know he'll be fine just not easy letting your baby go from a dad's point of view!

Ughh, not easy at all,

RC

He won't be a little boy when he comes back. First they will break him down and then they will build him up. He'll be a man when he comes back.

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1
They have a cure for those that are too stubborn.

But, in those days it wasn't optional.

I dunno'.....I'm sure they have a prescribed policy for treatment of stubborn folks, but I'm gonna' stop well short of calling it a cure. wink

I'm not a tough guy at all. It's just not in my nature to allow someone else to think for me. I learned a long time ago that in many cases, titles, rank, official position, or advanced age should not automatically convey a greater ability to make decisions regarding my welfare than what I'm already in possession of without their input.

How do I know that I'm not more intelligent than they are? I believe some of these kinds of folks couldn't pour water out of a boot if the instructions were written on the heel. And I'm supposed to trust them to think for me?

That's why I knew from early on that service life wouldn't work for me, although I know there are a great many who excel at it, and enjoy it.

RC this is only my opinion, and not meant to detract from your thread or diminish what your son has set out to accomplish. He's taken a big, brave step and you have every right to be proud of him. Congrats to Noah, and all who had a hand in bringing him up. smile

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
RC51 #389689 10/14/14 12:48 PM
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Actually Tony I'm a lot like you. Never been into even team sports and prefer to enrich myself by being self employed vs. someone else. I'd be the last person in the world to join a commune or cult and didn't even like the Boy Scouts. I had more fun camping out and fishing on my own than ever did in th Boy Scouts.

I consider myself a spiritual person but have issues wirh organized religion. Met some real hypocrites in the church.

RC51 #389693 10/14/14 01:26 PM
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
I hear you Cecil. My ideal philosophy is to have as much as possible under my direct control, as I believe anytime I need to ask for help places me at someone else's mercy.... and I don't like that.

I would gladly help any of my neighbors who needed a hand, but I'm not likely to ask for their assistance. Figure out a way to do it myself, and get it done. That's why I'm fond of saying that few things get accomplished without losing sweat and/or blood....because it's a lot harder when you're doing it alone. But it gets done the way I want it, and when I want it.

I won't say that this philosophy hasn't cost me, because it has. In many ways it still does. But it's who I am.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
RC51 #389697 10/14/14 02:22 PM
RC51 Offline OP
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
Hey no problem guys my son was not the best at team sports either at times, but he has very good leader qualities that I think will serve him well in the Army once he gets down the road a ways.

Thanks everyone for all the support it means a lot from you guys here. Pondboss and everything about it is a good thing and the people are too!!

RC

Last edited by RC51; 10/14/14 02:22 PM.

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
RC51 #389797 10/15/14 10:56 AM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
RC, I can only imagine the angst you're feeling about him heading out! My little girl is 15 and I know the day is just around the corner and I hate it. Knowing the kind of man you are, I'm sure you've prepared your son for the world and that he'll stand up and make you proud. I appreciate his willingness to defend our freedoms. God speed!

Todd La Neve

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]
Click Here to Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

1.5 & .5 ac ponds - LMB, BG, RES, YP, GC, HSB
RC51 #389799 10/15/14 11:12 AM
RC51 Offline OP
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
Thanks Todd!! He called me at 3:40 this morning told me this was his last call for a while and to let me know he got there ok. So it's game on now!! I told him to take it one day at a time and we been training for this for a year or so now so he is ready!

I was in the AF myself so I kinda know what he is up against, so at least I was able to prep him some! I even had a couple of training moments with him where I yelled at him as loud as I could in his face and told him don't take it personal it's just part of it. The hard part is being away from him for 2 months!! That hit me pretty hard after he hung the phone up with me last night....

Me and the misses will be ok though.....

RC

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
RC51 #389802 10/15/14 11:20 AM
O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
Very late to this. Be proud, RC, you raised a good one there. Thank him for his service from me!

RC51 #389803 10/15/14 11:21 AM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Jeez Todd, 15 already? Time flies. Kate will be 5 this coming year. It doesn't seem that long.

RC, he'll have a LOT to talk about the next time you hear from him!!

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
RC51 #389825 10/15/14 02:29 PM
M
mpc Offline
M
I am late too,but please first tell NOAH thanks much for is sacrifice and service. To you as well thanks for your sacrifice and service as often the family sacrifice goes unnoticed by many. We will put him on our prayer list and hope for positive updates. As a father of two boys(men really!) I do feel some or most of what you fell from the separation. I have often bit my tongue, because I have assumed that they think about the same way as I thought when I was in my twenties. I survived and tried to do more good than bad and have been lucky enough to live to continue the struggle/blessings! My boys have both done well and have continued to enjoy life,work,family and friends. I hope the same for Noah and a quality life changing experience.

Sometimes the pain of feeling appeared loss is a blessing in that the end results are better than expected. Everyone needs to feel loss, pain, to enjoy the positives, I hope all of Noah and your travels through this change in life is positive.

Thank you for sharing your feelings here at PB and the blessing you have given us for letting us in your life. I hope your experience help another father who has gone through or will go through what you have shared.

Please let us know as Noah progresses.

Life is more fun with a pole in your hand.
RC51 #389846 10/15/14 06:40 PM
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: RC51
and told him don't take it personal it's just part of it. T

I heard that one before I went to basic. I even told myself that before I got there. Still felt really personal. LOL

When did you go down to Lackland for basic? I went down there in September of 86.' No one will forget me. I was the guy that was standing in formation during a fire drill with shaving cream all over my face.

Somebody told me after 911 a lot of things changed in basic.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 10/15/14 06:42 PM.

RC51 #389850 10/15/14 07:01 PM
RC, my cousin just finished basic at Ft. Sill just a few months ago and I'm sure my uncle went through the same thing. Here's hoping for a safe trip and a good assignment on the other side!

RC51 #390374 10/23/14 07:11 AM
RC51 Offline OP
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
Quick update,

Well I was at work yesterday morning talking to someone and all of a sudden my cell phone went off. I wasn't in a big hurry to get it as I was in mid sentence with this other fella and didn't want to seem rude! I finally grabbed it and looked to see who it was and I FREAKED OUT!!! I couldn't believe it was Noah! I answered right there and told the other guy sorry I HAD to take this!!

It was good to hear from my boy! He said he is doing fine and has gone through all the dumb stuff like hair cut, getting ACU's, shots, more exams and all that!! He said he is now finally going into Red Phase which is actual basic training! I think he already has a new found appreciation for home. He sure is saying he loves us a lot now!! smile

I sure miss him!! Can't believe I won't see him till Christmas.... Ughh... I told him to stay strong put the phone down and give him hell!! smile And as fast as the conversation started it was over... frown

I know he'll be fine it's just tough as a dad who has never been away from his boy for more then a couple of days!!! I try to stay busy and not think to much about it. I won't complain though at least I know he's coming back at Christmas! It will be the best Christmas gift I have ever gotten bar none!

RC

RC

RC51 #390377 10/23/14 07:39 AM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Thanks for the update!

Some advice I heard for young men/women in various types of physical and mental training was to only focus on the next few minutes or hour, as opposed to thinking days or weeks ahead.

Only think about what is right in front of you.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

RC51 #390380 10/23/14 08:08 AM
Excellent advice Sunil...'one day at a time' or even 'one hour at a time' got me through a lot of rough times in the military...Basic and beyond.

Heck, come to think of it, that STILL works.

Dale

[Linked Image from i90.photobucket.com]

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water." - anonymous
RC51 #393731 12/02/14 11:18 AM
RC51 Offline OP
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
Update,

Hey everyone quick update on my son! We got a call from him on Thanksgiving day!! He is doing great and misses us all! He actually got to shoot a M4 and a M16 last week live rounds! He was excited about that! Oh and this week he said they would actually be throwing live Grenades....Flashbangs and popping smoke! Wow!! I wasn't real thrilled with him throwing a live grenade... but I get it that they need to learn how to do all that cause some of these kids might turn right around after basic and get deployed... So I just told him to make sure he LISTENS VERY WELL to what the DI is telling them!! And GET DOWN!!! smile Other then that it's been a fairly normal week haha! He gets to come home for a week at Christmas time which I thought was strange. Back when I was in they would have never let you out of basic to come home for Christmas but I guess they do now??? Anyway it will be nice to see him and be with him for Christmas! Gotta go for now but just thought I would share quick!

RC

RC51 #393738 12/02/14 12:04 PM
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Thanks and be sure to pass along all of our gratitude for his service !

ewest #393739 12/02/14 12:42 PM
RC51 Offline OP
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
Originally Posted By: ewest
Thanks and be sure to pass along all of our gratitude for his service !

Hey Eric thanks! I told him that all you all out here said thanks for his service when I talked with him on T. Day and he said wow they really said that and I told him yes they did. He was very excited that my PondBoss family knew and that they cared enough to say thanks! I appreciate you all also! It's not easy having your boy grow up and its even harder knowing at any time he could be deployed to somewhere that could be really ugly and no telling what might happen!

Thanks everyone for your kind words and thoughts,
RC

RC51 #393765 12/02/14 07:14 PM
J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Hey RC, that's really cool you get to see your son over Christmas. And yes, tell him Thanks from Michigan!

JKB #393780 12/02/14 09:39 PM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: JKB
Hey RC, that's really cool you get to see your son over Christmas. And yes, tell him Thanks from Michigan!

Ditto!!!

www.hoosierpondpros.com

RC51 #393828 12/03/14 12:21 PM
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Merry Christmas!!! Good present for you.

1 ac pond LMB, BG, RES, CC
RC51 #394380 12/09/14 02:54 PM
RC51 Offline OP
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
Quick update,

Wow I got a surprise phone call last night from Noah! We did not hear from him Sunday so just figured someone did something stupid and they couldnt call! smile

Anyhow he is doing and sounding great! Last week they did the 15K hike with 70lbs on his back! He said the hike wasn't to bad but it was cold and raining so that sucked! He is in OKC at Fort Sill so the weather there has not been so good.

The other good news he gave me is they did there final PT testing and he scored a 284 out of 300!! I am so proud of him. He even sounds more like a man on the phone now!! smile He was excited because they get to actually use a mortar tomorrow and shoot a rocket launcher!! YIKES!!! And I was afraid for him to shoot my 22!! Ha,ha! Cant wait to see him just 9 more days!

RC

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Froggy Joe
Recent Posts
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves
by Bill Cody - 04/18/24 08:53 PM
How many channel cats in 1/5 acre pond?
by Dave Davidson1 - 04/18/24 08:41 PM
1/4 HP pond aerator pump
by esshup - 04/18/24 06:58 PM
Hi there quick question on going forward