Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,051
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,407
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
2 members (Rainman, Bobbss), 458 guests, and 152 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#390108 10/19/14 02:23 PM
F
Fatih Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Hi guys,

Since it is nearly impossible to import LMB or BG to my country, Turkey, i am planning to visit the USA in June 2015. But by that time, fries must be no more than 1 inchers, to take them back home safely.

I doubt that i will find 1 inchers by that time but i am not sure if 2 inchers can survive a 15 hours travel, in my luggage. What do you think?

Thanks.

By the way i might pay some cash for someone who is planning a travel to Turkey and can bring just a couple fishes for me. smile

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Don't think it's legal or you could get away with it without the proper papers.

Considering how closely the TSA checks and scans passengers I don't see how they'd miss water and fish. LOL

The transport of animals internationally is taken very seriously and a violation could be as serious as transporting drug contraband.

I feel for you that you are frustrated you can't get the fish.

What are the obstacles you are facing?

Is it your country that won't allow them in?

Or is it here in the US they can't be exported from? Or both?

Or is it all the red tape?

Or you can't find a source here that is interested in dealing with the logistics?

The transport of fry for 15 hrs. is certainly possible with the use of oxygen, ammonia neutralizer and an anesthetic. Fish are transported much longer all the time from Southeast Asia and South America to the U.S.

Sounds like you need to find the right party that has experience in this as long as it's legal. Be prepared to pay though.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 10/19/14 03:39 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

F
Fatih Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Thanks Cecil. Believe me i am not trying to do something illegal. No country i believe has a law that restricts fishes being taken away. And the same for the USA.

Turkey will let you bring 10 fishes in your luggage. That's all. And no paper work is required.

The reason why i can't make that happen with regular importing procedures is that it is impossible to find someone here to prepare all the paper work to export from the USA. And even if the paper work is done, they can't make sure the fishes are shipped safely from the USA. And just 1 import session from the USA will cost thousands of dollars. That's not what stops me though.

So bringing them my own is the only option left for me. 10 fishes is a pretty low number but i guess i will be fine.

Please tell me Cecil: In a world , where importing and exporting snakeheads is legal, how can taking LMB's to a country be illegal? smile Trust me it is not... Not for Turkey at least.

I need some info on LMB and BG spawning times of the year. When do they spawn in hatcheries and what size will they get till June?

S
S
Just a thought.

If it is legal for you to import them into your country................

People travel with pets. Dogs, etc. Have a fish farm double bag them up, put the bag in a pet cage, and check them onto the plane as a pet. They would go through customs as a pet.

Would it work? I don't have a clue. It is just an idea.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
D
D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-UE8l4PKDU

North Shore Fish Farms
3089 Seacliff Dr, Kingsville, On
Phone: (519) 733-4800
Species: Largemouth Bass, Yellow Perch, Black Crappie, Walleye, Bluegill, Sunfish

Give Frank a call. He can ship them to you from Canada.

Cheers Don.

[Linked Image from corvettejunkie.com]
http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4

7/8th of an acre, Perch only pond, Ontario, Canada.
R
RER Offline
R
you would have to put them in the checked bags. Only allowed to have small volumn of liguid as carry on. I have packed someting similar in my checked baggage with no issues several times before. I am not sure about customs on the way out. I am not even sure they are worried about what leaves as long as its not drugs. Countries seem to be more worried about what comes in.

They might not even know what kind of fish they are, if that matters.

If they will let you bring in 10 fish, it should work as long as customs lets you leave with them. Keep your receipt from the fish farm just in case. But most likley they will not know any thing differant then they are little fish.

Customs officers are not DNR or Fish and Wild life officers.

Goofing off is a slang term for engaging in recreation or an idle pastime while obligations of work or society are neglected........... Wikipedia
F
Fatih Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Snrub, Dono and Bobby, i thank you all.

Snrub, i don't think they will buy that smile .

Dono, even if your friend is willing to send them to Turkey he needs to get a lot of paperwork done. Does he have any export experience? Thanks for the info.

Bobby i don't plan to take them as carry on. I will have them in my luggage. This way , there will be no liquid volume limit and fishes will attract much less attention of customs officers. I know that what i am doing is still too risky. Because there are no certain regulations for fish transportation and anytime you might be stopped by a customs officer. I will try my best.

Guys we are in the only Pond forum of the USA and no one can give me any info on hatchery fish sizes on June? :))

C
Lunker
Lunker
C
You should be able to find some 1-2 inchers that time of year. Depends on where you will be leaving from. You'll have a better chance of finding some small ones the further north you go.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Before 9/11 I once flew from Florida back to Virginia with fish I had collected down there in a Tubberware container. Not gonna happen today!

Hmm... Turkish customs officers must be fun to deal with.

F
Fatih Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Chris Scott wants me to get Camelot Bell and Coppernose from either Texas or Florida smile . I guess that's a bad news.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: CJBS2003
Before 9/11 I once flew from Florida back to Virginia with fish I had collected down there in a Tubberware container. Not gonna happen today!

Hmm... Turkish customs officers must be fun to deal with.

Turkish prisons are infamous!

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

F
Fatih Offline OP
OP Offline
F
I tell you that Cecil, Turkish prisons are much safer for your ass than American prisons. laugh

The fact that people here are homophobic is not something i am proud of but definitely good for prisoners.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Yeah prisons are big business here. We have a higher percentage of our population in prison than any other country in the world.

I guess I've seen too many movies about Turkey Fatih. grin

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 10/21/14 06:49 PM.

Just a thought. When I lived in Singapore, North American fish were considered novelties and available in pet shops. Have you checked? Another thought is to export them as pets. I brought two cats back from Singapore that I got there and it was easy.

Good luck!

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
Just a thought, your luggage could be in an unpressurised part of the plane. I remember the airlines deflating my son's soccer ball before they would stow it in the luggage compartment. The container your fish are in could just expand and rupture. Not to mention it is cold in there.

[Linked Image]
I re-read my post and realized I might have not been very clear. By unpressurized cabin, I mean one that is pressurized at an altitude higher than where your bag of fish were packed. As example, the bag for your fish may be packed at 2500 feet above sea level and sealed to maintain the O2 blanket. As an aircraft climbs, the cabin is pressurized to between 7000 and 8000 feet. The difference in pressure between 2500 feet and 8000 feet will cause the bag to expand and possibly rupture.

[Linked Image]
C
Lunker
Lunker
C
Good thinking Bill. That will be a problem.

F
Fatih Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Cecil , how come have you seen some movies about Turkey? I didn't think Americans were interested in us at all laugh .

Bill, that's definitely something to consider. I have never heard anything like that before. I guess i have to dig deeper in this issue. You say that even a ball cannot resist such a pressure difference. How can i deal with that? Any ideas?

It's not as scarey as it sounds. For those that fly much, most all of us have had a bottle of something leak in our luggage. The pressure differences the bottle sees is why. The less volume of air in a container the less pronounced the affect will be, so travel with full bottles of stuff and, just in case, stick them in a ziplock bag to protect the undies! If I was going to fly with fish, I would put them in a rigid container to prevent volume change with pressure. The pressure in the sealed container will remain at whatever pressure was present when the container was sealed. You might have a little trouble getting the lid off at your destination if it is a significantly different altitude than where the fish were packed though!

[Linked Image]
F
Fatih Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Bill, i noticed i haven't replied. Sorry about that. I see what you mean. I guess i will give fishes to the pet compartment of the airplane. But otherwise, i will do what you said.

Thanks.

Last edited by Fatih; 11/07/14 01:04 PM.
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Faith, at this time of year Americans become VERY interested in Turkey. Also stuffing, gravy, cranberries, etc. etc.

Do nature a favor, spay/neuter your pets and any weird friends or relatives.
F
Fatih Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Bob, it is good to know that you got interested in Turkey for something not related to military stuff smile .

We have a great kitchen. Might be the best out there(this is what we think smile ) . But i didn't know there was a trend about Turkey among you Americans.

I am very fond of America. I am in love with your country. Today i paid 3 dollars for a can of Mountain Dew in Turkey smile . Just wanted to taste some America. Gonna be visiting in coming May and can't wait for it.

Anybody on this forum can be my guest , if they visit Turkey. Just let me know, a month in advance. smile

R
RER Offline
R
If you make it to north florida you are welcome to visit and check out my pond stuff. No charge for the mountain dew.

Last edited by BobbyRice; 11/07/14 03:29 PM.

Goofing off is a slang term for engaging in recreation or an idle pastime while obligations of work or society are neglected........... Wikipedia
F
Fatih Offline OP
OP Offline
F
I definitely want to visit Florida this time. I guess there is great fishing over there. Both freshwater and saltwater fishing.

If i pass near your place, i will definitely stop by. Thanks for the kind offer smile .

R
RER Offline
R
Originally Posted By: Fatih
Both freshwater and saltwater fishing.

somtimes even in the same pond :-)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Rainman - 03/28/24 02:53 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Mark Dyer - 03/27/24 10:18 PM
Reducing fish biomass
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:17 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by Bill Cody - 03/27/24 10:18 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??