Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,082
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
9 members (Sunil, Jared015, Freg, Justin W, LeighAnn, Donatello, Theo Gallus, homewardbound, DenaTroyer), 786 guests, and 227 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Welcome - your knowledge and experience will be very useful here. Consider writing about some of your pond experiences for Pond Boss magazine. The editor is always looking for pond related articles. Check out the contents and indexes of back issues of the magazine.

Several years ago there were regular articles by Mike Mitchell (High Country Waters) about cool water fisheries from Colorado. One particular article that will interest you is where he described feeding pellets and growing huge trout in stream management habitats.
Nov-Dec 2006 Issue. TO FEED OR NOT TO FEED? Mitchell presents solid evidence about how feeding fish can enhance free roaming fish populations. He discusses standing crops, quality of the ration, diet requirements, pellet sizes, frequency of feedings, nutritional efficiency, and how supplemental feeding enhances the food chain of stream habitats.

2006 Issue Contents
http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=92481#Post92481

Forum Archives for contents of all back issues of PBoss magazines.
http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=22&page=1

Last edited by Bill Cody; 03/17/14 08:38 AM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: WV-PA Wild Trout
Hi, my name is Jeremy and I am previously a Fisheries Biologist with a background in management of small impoundments, small trout streams and commercial fisheries. Now I deal with groundwater and the Marcellus gas drilling in Central Appalachia. I live on 50 wooded acres in NC WV with a 1/3 acre cold/coolwater pond in which I raise Rainbow and Brown Trout. I also own 3/4 mile of trout stream which I manage with supplemental Brown and Rainbow trout fingerlings due to limited natural reproduction and also the implementation of in-stream habitat improvement devices such as jack-dams and wing deflectors. I hope to contribute my knowledge of fisheries to the forum and also learn anything I can from others.

Jeremy,

Let me also welcome you to Pond Boss, but also as a neighbor, and as the vice president of the WV Aquaculture Association. I'm way over on the other side of the state in Hampshire County, although I was on your side of the state yesterday, bringing my granddaughter back to school at Fairmont.

It is great to have another experienced fisheries biologist on the forum, especially one with your type of background. We look forward to hearing from you regularly.

Ken

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Welcome, Jeremy!

We can only abuse our current WV members with Deliverance and Redneck jokes for so long, thus we need new blood!!!

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Welcome guys !

P
P
Hi, my name is Roland I live in westen NC amongst some of the most beautiful moutains and waterways NC has to offer.

VERY new with Pond management and have my hands FULL. I posted a thread about my pond and its condition.

I came across this page while doing some online research about pond repair/restoration. And I immediately knew I found the right spot just by browsing for an hour on here.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Welcome aboard !

A
A
Hello fellow anglers,
I somehow stumbled onto this site looking for information into building ponds on a google search. My father and I just recently purchased 100 acres down in Macon County, AL. This is our first property adventure, and we are both very excited to manage and grow a beautiful habitat for wildlife. On this hundred acres is about a 3/4 ac. pond that we would love to expand from anywhere to 2-6 acres. We know a lot about fishing, just not how to build a pond and properly manage it. Looking for any advice and information I can find to be more educated and knowledgable before we take on the task of expanding the pond. Here's to learning and talking about the beautiful outdoors!

Cheers!

A
A
Im excited to get info from everyone here to help with my pond as well as giving any feedback from my project that can help.

C
C
Good afternoon all my name is Chris frm central va just bought a home with a new 3/4 acre pond I'm looking forward to learning from you guys on here and to introduce myself I stocked the pond with LMB, CNB,RES,AND CC so far so good with the fish but i definitely need to do something with one side of pond due to bare bank im getting alot of sediment in where the main runoff is

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Abassman83, Agull240, and Chris, welcome to Pond Boss!

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

Hello everyone, I'm so happy to be part of this forum. There is a major abundance of knowledge here.. I have been reading threads on here for some time now. I just purchased 14 acres of land and we will be constructing her dream home and my dream pond wink So, I decided to join up as I know I will have lots of questions coming soon

Happy fishing

If it was easy everybody would do it !!!
T
T
Hay there to the Pond Boss guys and girls. To introduce myself I would like to say I have been a fisherman and pond swimmer all my life, woop's, no pond swimming here in La because of the big lizards that hang around. But I did swim those ponds in Okla when growing up. I have been a fisherman for mostly Bass but enjoy anything that will pull my string. I bought some land a few yr's ago and havespent most of my time food plotting for the deer. I am just about where I want to be with that so I started my pond this week. I started out by clearing 6.2 acres and presently have back hoe's and dozers working as I type this. I am not sure what the true size it will be but I am trying to use all of the area I can for the pond. Will be using run off water to fill if I ever get out of the drought my property is going through rite now. I would like to make this a bass lake but just not made the decision on where I want to take it "Trophy" or just a good bass lake. hoping I might be swayed one way or another through what I can learn from here. Ha, the more I read the more I am confused lol

Do not judge me by the politicians in my City, State or Federal Government.

Tracy
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
TG welcome to the PBF! At 6 acres you can have both good bass and trophy bass! Bass need room to grow and you got plenty in 6 acres! Read up on here and ask some of the folks here how to plan!

Everything from habitat to forage and maybe even air one day you can find here and guys can help you with!

Show us some pics of that pond when you get time!

RC

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
10x Offline
New to the forum and just put in a new pond so looking for advise and direction. I have a tiny little pond (spring fed 30 foot diameter - 5 ft deep)for 25 years that has allowed my kids to catch bass and the dogs to swim. I just recently put in one just shy of an acre and when filled would be 14 feet in the deepest region (also having a couple of springs feeding it). Having lost my son a few years back, I now have a little grandson and want him to have a paradise to fish, canoe, ice skate, and swim.

What I have noticed in my readings so far on the forum is that most of you are located in the south or at least warm regions. I am in the Finger Lakes of NY and we have already had frost a couple of nights. Definitely things are different for me here but if someone could point me in the right direction for some help on getting this pond off on the right foot it would be appreciated. I am sure there are many questions to get to that answer so I will look around to see where to post the question and get started.

Anyway, I have already learned an unbelievable amount in about 3 days of looking around the forum. Starting to make some artificial structure from what I already learned here.

Dan

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
10X - There are a lot of members here north of the Mason Dixon line in winter snow & ice states of PA, NY, WVA, OH, MI, IN, IL, IA, KS, WI, MN and several members from Canada. Northern ponds and spring fed ponds allow one to think about using alternative BG-LMB fish such as yellow perch, smallmouth, walleye, pumpkinseed sunfish, chain pickerel, pike, and in certain situations trout. Numerous members have these cool water fish in northern 'warm water' ponds. Your 30ft dia spring fed pond is a candidate for trout either annual or seasonal grow out.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 10/21/14 09:21 AM.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Bill is right - lots of northern ponds covered here. The mag even has a column specifically on Northern ponds every issue. In addition Bob Lusk managed several large NY lakes for several years and set up their fisheries program. Welcome.

L
L
10X, I am in the finger lakes region also, there are a few of here in this area. I live near Canandaigua, NY, and am a short drive to Honeoye and Canadice lakes. Fire away on the questions, but a lot here applies to all ponds, not just those down south.

10x Offline
Located just outside Watkins Glen so not that far from you liquidsquid.

Thanks for the warm greeting from all of you. Where would you recommend I start a post for my specific pond help?

So much information to absorb here.

Dan

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: 10x
Located just outside Watkins Glen so not that far from you liquidsquid.

Thanks for the warm greeting from all of you. Where would you recommend I start a post for my specific pond help?

So much information to absorb here.

Dan

Welcome to the forum!

Where to post depends on the question. wink

While most posts will get answered eventually, a question about aeration will usually be answered quicker if it's in the aeration section, etc. It's easier to break up multiple queestions about multiple things into the different topics.

"setting off on the right foot" could be anything from aeration to soil, and the answers all depend on the goals that you have for your pond. For instance, if a person wants help with stocking a pond, the advice will be completely different if they want a trophy bass pond or a trophy bluegill pond.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
10x Offline
Fair enough - here is a brief overview of what I need help with:

I want the new pond to be a place to ice skate in the winter (really no planning here), canoe or kayak (again no planning), swimming (maybe some planning), but mostly for a good bass fishing pond mixed with some nice bluegill.

It is currently filling with water and has a long way to go. I know I will want to place structure in it and I am making an assortment now. Where to place structure is a question.

I also like to stock it by catching from other places I fish when the season is open (has worked very well for the little pond) but I realize I need food established first so another big question is how to go about this in the best way.

Thanks again!
Dan

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: 10x
Fair enough - here is a brief overview of what I need help with:

I want the new pond to be a place to ice skate in the winter (really no planning here), canoe or kayak (again no planning), swimming (maybe some planning), but mostly for a good bass fishing pond mixed with some nice bluegill.

Aeration forum (either of them) and Types of fish to choose.

It is currently filling with water and has a long way to go. I know I will want to place structure in it and I am making an assortment now. Where to place structure is a question.

Creating Habitat

I also like to stock it by catching from other places I fish when the season is open (has worked very well for the little pond) but I realize I need food established first so another big question is how to go about this in the best way.

Types of fish to choose and Creating the food chain.
Thanks again!
Dan

As a preamble, stocking that 1 ac pond like you stocked the small pond probably won't work as well as you'd like it to, or it will take so much of your time that you wouldn't want to do it that way once you find out the amount of fish you really, really need to stock. There are other reasons, but those can be explained in the appropriate thread. wink

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
L
L
Check out Finger Lakes AquaCulture near us, it should be a relatively short drive for you. Buy up a bunch of shiners and/or fat head minnows for this year, and get them in ASAP before temps get below 50F in the water. We have a few late fall warm temps coming, so now may not be so bad of a time.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Starting off with a several adult fish that spawn unhindered in a pond can easily cause the pond to be overpopulated soon after stocking. Survival rate from the first one or two spawns is usually dependent on existing adult density. An initial overpopulation is often hard to correct from an unbalanced adult spawner community. Adding proper numbers for a standard balance in the beginning is well worth a little extra money to do it correctly the first time.

10x Offline
Originally Posted By: Bill Cody
Starting off with a several adult fish that spawn unhindered in a pond can easily cause the pond to be overpopulated soon after stocking. Survival rate from the first one or two spawns is usually dependent on existing adult density. An initial overpopulation is often hard to correct from an unbalanced adult spawner community. Adding proper numbers for a standard balance in the beginning is well worth a little extra money to do it correctly the first time.

Bill - how does one know what those proper numbers are? I am all for doing this right the first time but don't know what the right way is.

Thanks,
Dan

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Proper numbers will depend on one's goals. There is lots of info here about proper stocking densities which do vary based on location of north vs south. Goals, species of fish and size of fish stocked also play roles. First one should decide on what fishes are desired while also being compatible in the fishery and then numbers can be established. For the very best fishery to be established, it is always best to first establish a strong forage fish community so the stocked sport fish will grow the fastest to achieve the goals. A strong forage fish base will result in producing larger, trophy class fish twice as fast. Typically predators will need 8 to 10 lbs of forage fish present for each predator stocked so food does not limit the initial growth of the predators.

What I suggest that you do is start your own pond stocking thread with size and configuration of your pond, your goals, initial plans, and progress so far. Then members will provide input for your project and a final plan developed. The thread can be updated with your progress and fish monitoring results to evaluate your success /progress over time.

As an example of what is possible with proper stocking plan:

Originally Posted By: Bill Cody
If 4"-5" SMB are stocked in April with a pond full of food (minnows & crayfish), then yes I have seen the stockers grow to 10.5"-12" maybe a few 13" by end of first summer (1mm/day) in TN with warmer water in October.

Reply from YolkSac: This is basically exactly what I've observed. Growth rates in the first couple of years in a new pond can be really stellar.
The SMB recruits will start preying on YOY of everything else immediately. We've had really wierd weather this year, I had what seems like a very late, very heavy SMB spawn this year and have schools of 2-3" SMB all over right now. They're incredibly aggressive--woe be to any late hatching BG. This is the latest in the season by far that I've seen such numbers of yoy SMB.
Cody Note: My only concern is smallmouth with BG which I think is a big mistake causing excess manual management and BG overpopulation. Smallie and BG are IMO a no no. Several others will concur. There are much better panfish to use with SMB rather than BG.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 10/24/14 08:11 AM.

Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 11:01 AM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Freeze Danger? - Electric Diaphragm Pump
by esshup - 03/26/24 09:47 PM
Newly Uploaded Images