Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,900
Posts557,091
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
17 members (Augie, PRCS, BillyE, FishinRod, LeighAnn, bstone261, LANGSTER, Sunil, dg84s, ewest, Fishingadventure, Shorthose, Freg, IND1371, Groundhog7, Brandon Larson, Dave Davidson1), 744 guests, and 301 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#390209 10/21/14 09:12 AM
B
Briand Offline OP
OP Offline
B
picture of new pond, feel free make suggestions

Attached Images
photo (5).JPG
M
mpc Offline
M
I would suggest putting water in it if you are going to grow anything!!! Just a little joke there!!!!!

I did notice pvc structure in bottom and great deck that could use some structure under it as well to help hold more fish than you would normally have.

The Island looks cool and I would assume you plan to leave it in? If that is the case I would say, on the side that receives the most afternoon sun(west), you could consider a gravel/sand bed for spawning,if there is not one there now.

That said what are your plan/goals for the pond,ie. feeding, aeration, type(s) of fish you are planning on stocking.

Do too differing weather, depending on where in Ark. you live, you will have different fish specie choices, maybe.

Do you have well water and or plenty of runoff water to keep the pond full?

I would suggest a brood pond for growing out supplemental minnows, fish fingerlings(cheaper) that you can grow to fit the size of the predatory species you may have in your pond. I say that, because I did not plan on brood pond(s). Next year, I will have AT LEAST one.

Some of the pro's will come on soon to make recommendations as I an just a novice and can only offer observations I have used.

I will say your picture looks to be a great start to a a PB'ers world.

Welcome to PB by the way.

Life is more fun with a pole in your hand.
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Hey Briand, welcome. My first suggestion is that you be a bit specific in what you are wondering. Probably everything as most of us starting out know very little compared to the folks who are schooled and or have yrs of experience. You will probably get better response if you give much more info and ask about certain things such as your goals, how to proceed with forage, what type of fish, aeration, structure, landscaping, etc. etc Good luck and keep us informed.

Do nature a favor, spay/neuter your pets and any weird friends or relatives.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Briand
picture of new pond, feel free make suggestions

Taper the banks and the island back so you have no greater than 3:1 slope down to the water and for at least a couple of feet below the water line if you expect to walk into the water. Make sure the PVC cover is far enough away from the pier to prevent anyone jumping off of the pier from landing on it. Unless the ground is made of pottery clay, having a steep slope will just slough off and fall to the bottom of the pond over time due to wave action.

Steep banks under the water don't allow for much spawning habitat either.

Other than that, I agree with Bob-O. Tell us more about the pond, your goals for it, etc.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
B
Briand Offline OP
OP Offline
B
had the pond built for my son that was born this year and for fish to catch and eat. I always wanted a pond when i was younger in my back yard so wouldn't have to get my parents drag me around the town. The pvc and all structure to the dock is too the side of it. Which the dock is not complete still putting hand rails around it. So far the water is holding that the little rain we had. there is plenty of run off to the pond just need the rain. i have a well a couple 100 feet just no pump or nothing to it.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
With the steep banks, try and walk down to the water. If the water level isn't constant at full pool, and it's difficult to walk down to the water, it will be diffucult for a kid or older person to walk out if they fall into the water....

Wet, slippery clay or snow and ice up here compound the issue.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
With a youngster I hope you are planning a beach. My grandkids spend more time digging, building castles and forts than they do swimming and they swim a lot.
What kind of fish are you looking at? You should start forage right now. Several kinds.

Do nature a favor, spay/neuter your pets and any weird friends or relatives.
J
J
As esshup mentioned steep banks can be dangerous because the young, the old and non swimmers might not be able to get out if they fall in. Wave action will eventually cause the steep banks to erode and become shallow. Lots of ponds around my area use steep banks lined with riff raft rocks to keep weeds from growing and the banks from eroding away.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Alum vs Bentonite/Lathanum for Phosphorus Removal?
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 04:23 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 04:13 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by ewest - 03/28/24 03:37 PM
1 year after stocking question
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/28/24 02:44 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday