Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,900
Posts557,088
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
14 members (LANGSTER, Sunil, dg84s, ewest, Fishingadventure, Shorthose, Freg, IND1371, Augie, Groundhog7, Brandon Larson, Dave Davidson1, PRCS, Theo Gallus), 746 guests, and 312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
C
C
Here is some neat new technology. The savings by running the diesel generator at its optimal rpms all the time really make sense. Like all new ideas, time will tell how it plays out but for delivery operations (packages, fish...) it would be a neat improvement.

Diesel technology improvements

R
Rainman Offline OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
That could be pretty cool once the costs come down!

R
Rainman Offline OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
The truck is finally nearing completion at the fabrication shop! The shop finally got the underbelly boxes on, is correcting some design deviations and fabricating 2 more underbody boxes that will attach to the sides of, and become part of the rear bumper for water transfer pumps, hose storage and the power generator. The build has taken FAR longer than it ever should have, but will have more functional capability than most any hauling unit ever! (those ugly weld gussets are going to be removed and hidden)

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Rex, you probably already know this, but the less you can hang off behind the rear axle the better. That's all the less that you can drag on a sharp incline, either entering or exiting.

Are there any tow hooks on the front and back to hook to if you need a pull out of a soft spot? With the amount of pull that can be generated, I don't know if the trailer hitch would be a good place to hook to.... Is it pin and collared or welded on?

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
M
mpc Offline
M
Really nice looking rig! Hope it makes you plenty of payoff money, no downtime and low maintenance. Good luck and thanks for all the build pictures!!!

Life is more fun with a pole in your hand.
R
Rainman Offline OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Originally Posted By: esshup
Rex, you probably already know this, but the less you can hang off behind the rear axle the better. That's all the less that you can drag on a sharp incline, either entering or exiting.

Are there any tow hooks on the front and back to hook to if you need a pull out of a soft spot? With the amount of pull that can be generated, I don't know if the trailer hitch would be a good place to hook to.... Is it pin and collared or welded on?

Hitch is a heavily over-engineered class V receiver hitch, fully welded with 1/2" reinforcement. I'll be hauling a 24,000 pound winch with 150" of cable with a 50K rated torque doubling pulley block.

The rearward boxes will sit higher than the rear safety bumper, which is set at 14" high.

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Originally Posted By: canyoncreek
Here is some neat new technology. The savings by running the diesel generator at its optimal rpms all the time really make sense. Like all new ideas, time will tell how it plays out but for delivery operations (packages, fish...) it would be a neat improvement.

Diesel technology improvements

Capstone Turbine has been doing this for quite some time now.

With the high cost of electricity these days, and if you need special electrical hook up from the power company, it's much cheaper in the long run to utilize grid connect micro turbine tech. running on propane or other fuel. You'll want to stay away from batteries tho. Batteries are like a transitional element that absorbs power from one source, stores it, then shoots it to it's use point. During this process, it just eats them up. They will never be able to make a perfect battery.

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Rex,
The truck looks really good!

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Very nice looking fishy truck. Now just keep it out of the mud, between the ditches, and not over the speed limit.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Wow! Now that's a hauling truck!

Congrats Rex!

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

J
J
Thats quite the setup you have there Rex. Fish business must be good! Congrats!!

R
Rainman Offline OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
It is in desperate need of a bath and some polishing, but the bed build is pretty much complete, FINALLY!

Next is some fiberglass work and cargo/load lighting, along with just a little more shiny bling (chrome air horns and bumper the same style as the painted one).

After the outside, electornics, and box work is done, the graphics work will be done last....hopefully I'll get some sponsorship/advertising $$$'s to offset that expense....?

Over the winter, I'll be installing all electronics for on-board water quality monitoring, filtration, ammonia removal system, pumps, 8000 watt 120/240V generator, custom shelving and storage box modifications. Eventually, I plan to be able to heat and chill all, or individual water tanks....all from inside the cab while rolling...

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Looks great...huge, but great!

Rex, when it's all said and done you will surely have the slickest fish hauler around.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
Looking mighty good sir. Hard work pays off

Forced to work born to Fish
R
RER Offline
R
purdy !!!!!!!!!!!

Goofing off is a slang term for engaging in recreation or an idle pastime while obligations of work or society are neglected........... Wikipedia
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
That will haul some fish in "real Cadillac style".

C
C
Time to update your signature line image!

Last edited by canyoncreek; 10/23/14 03:37 PM.
J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Originally Posted By: Rainman
hopefully I'll get some sponsorship/advertising $$$'s to offset that expense....?

Don't quite understand that one. I do know that some companies try to find space on a moving billboard for cheap, but how effective is that? If they pay, that's cool.

R
Rainman Offline OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
JKB, I had to LOL at the PVC comment before you edited it.

As far as "advertisers", I meant more of a one time co-op deal to cover the cost of developing/applying some nice, quality aquatic graphics. Like a serene aerated pond setting with a kid catching a big fish with a feeder, bag of feed and perhaps a fountain control or aerator cabinet are in the foreground....all having prominent Logo's visible.

I have 27'x3.5' on the sides and 8'x3.5' on the back to fill...

Last edited by Rainman; 10/23/14 05:05 PM.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Jeeze Rainman, what'd ya do get one of those -- an old people reverse mortgage -- to finance that? grin

Just kidding of course.

Beautiful truck!

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 10/24/14 08:44 AM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
As far as "advertisers", I meant more of a one time co-op deal to cover the cost of developing/applying some nice, quality aquatic graphics. Like a serene aerated pond setting with a kid catching a big fish with a feeder, bag of feed and perhaps a fountain control or aerator cabinet are in the foreground....all having prominent Logo's visible.

OK, got it. That would be cool!

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Consider adding some paid advertising on the tanks similar to the billboards at ball parks, etc. The flat side of the back tank would be very good spot for something.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 10/24/14 07:04 PM.

Rex, that's an incredible hauler. Congrats, and thanks for posting the whole process.

AL

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Over the winter, I'll be installing all electronics for on-board water quality monitoring, filtration, ammonia removal system, pumps, 8000 watt 120/240V generator, custom shelving and storage box modifications. Eventually, I plan to be able to heat and chill all, or individual water tanks....all from inside the cab while rolling...

Hey Rex, if you like, describe in detail what you want to do electronically and electric wise with your truck.

All the parameters you would like to monitor/control, and everything else you would like control of.

You mentioned, while rolling... I doubt you will be very far from your truck because it is your work, source of income and a passion. I can put your truck with full control (other than driving) on your cell phone, puter or network TV so you can see what's going on all the time. All ya need is a decent wireless router in your truck and another gizmo. No need to go internet because you probably won't be too far from your truck.

If you plan to buy sensors with specific meters for all this, it could get quite expensive and take up a bunch of room. If you plan to do something in the cab that is Windows based, be prepared for failures at the worst possible time.

I deal with 2 Roller Coasters and 1 extrusion machine that have windows based panel PC's, along with some solid processors, but the programmers put way too much control in the windows junk, and that freaks out from time to time. Not safe on one coaster, and it was a $300K tab to make it right. No Go, but they have insurance if someone get's hurt or killed.

Sweep it under the rug and hope it don't happen wink

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Rex, after seeing a good view of the truck, I don't think you will be doing much travel off road with that. I think gravel roads will be as much "off roading" you'll be doing.

I can see LED light billboards on the side of the tanks......

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by ewest - 03/28/24 03:37 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by Sunil - 03/28/24 03:32 PM
1 year after stocking question
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/28/24 02:44 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday