Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Lumberman1985, Bennettrand, Jward87, Kanon M, KWL
18,497 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,961
Posts557,942
Members18,498
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,497
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,145
Who's Online Now
6 members (KenHorton, Donatello, phinfan, FishinRod, Theo Gallus, Sunil), 853 guests, and 337 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 14 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 13 14
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
If you got your LCS from Zimmerman I am betting they were pellet trained from a young age and are pellet feeding.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Bill Cody
One thing to do is feed larger pellets that the minnows cannot swallow right away. The perch you got from Cecil in the picture is big enough to eat Amax 5D06 (9/32") aka AM600 size pellet. A 5" YP has a mouth gape of 1/2"; twice the size of a AM600 pellet. LCS will not eat pellets. Minnow feeding activity will attract the perch. Once perch figure out where the pellet buffet is, rest assured the perch will get their share of the pellets.

I personally wouldn't go to a 5D06 even if you think they are big enough to eat them. I's stick with what I saw Jamie had which appeared to be slightly smaller than 5D05. Just my opinion of course. Jamie had feed from Zeiglers when I was there.

Jamie,

Do you have a local supplier of Zeigler's feed?

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 10/02/14 12:52 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Lunker
Years ago on the forum I think someone theorized that feeding smaller pellets enables fish to ingest more, and over the years, equate into faster growth due to increased consumption/nutrition. Smaller the pellet, the more one can fit into a certain volume container - like a stomach. Weight of 1/4 cup of AM - the heaviest would be 500, followed by 600, and LMB formula would come in last due to the additional air space between pellets. Does this theory hold up? If the fish will target smaller pellets, it might. My larger SMB and HSB prefer pellets in this order: AM LMB, AM 600, and they sometimes ignore AM 500 altogether, even when it's all that's available. Toss in a few AM LMB pellets and the water erupts and they'll feed for 45 minutes.

Interesting topic - do you feed the largest pellet possible, or the smallest?

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
From the studies on feeding.

Because fish growth often is limited by food availability, supplemental feeding is a logical tool to improve the condition of fish in small impoundments as the energy cost for bluegill to feed on pellets is small relative to the high caloric intake, which can be 4-5 times greater than those fed natural foods (Schalles and Wissing 1976).

Substantial increases in the standing stock of bluegill in ponds that receive pellet feed have been recorded (Schmittou 1969) and, in lakes, pellet feeding has been found to increase the number of large bluegills (Nail and Powell 1975).

These results indicate that total fish production and production of bluegill were each increased approximately 75 to 80% by supplemental feeding in 19 months after stocking (Schmittou 1967)

Previous studies demonstrated that feed in excess of 10 pounds per acre per day in bluegill ponds was not utilized. Some accumulated and decomposed, thus depleting the supply of dissolved oxygen which resulted in fish kills (Schmittou 1967) .

the rate of growth of sunfish can be increased by short-circuiting the food cycle, thereby producing harvestable size sunfish in a shorter period of time than would occur under natural conditions (Carnes 1966).

The pellet size should be approximately 20-30% of the size of the fish species mouth gape. Feeding too small a pellet results in inefficient feeding because more energy is used in finding and eating more pellets. Conversely, pellets that are too large will depress feeding and, in the extreme, cause choking. Select the largest sized feed the fish will actively eat.

Addition of supplemental pelleted feed did not contribute to the rate of growth of young shad, but did increase the growth and spawning frequency of adults.

Last edited by ewest; 10/02/14 01:40 PM.

Lunker
Lunker
Thanks Eric good timing. To address the situation above I broadcast both AM 500 and 600 in my feeders to hopefully address feeding smaller and larger fish. I have to hand feed the AM LMB pellets on my visits to the ponds - maybe 3x weekly. Not sure they benefit much from such infrequent feedings, but it's a blast to watch the fireworks show.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

Lunker
Lunker
I feed a mix of AM500 and AM600 in my pond as well.

At the moment I have eight RES in my aquarium in the house and my largest one which is 6-1/2" to 7" won't eat AM600 pellets just yet, but has no problem eating up to ten AM500 pellets in a few minutes. Pellet size does matter.

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
I only feed 500 in all of our ponds. Our fish are used to this particular size, and it has produced well for us. Esshup did bring down some 600 for me to try, and there was minor interest but nothing like the activity on the 500. Conditioning is so prevalent....just ask Scott how many bluegills he caught on the 600 sized Stubby Steve's.

I do think there's something to be said for the smaller pellets simply fitting together better, (as in a higher quantity) in a confined space, but I'm not sure what effect a softening of the water soaked pellet might have, and I'm also unsure if this applies to a variable space, (like a stomach), as it does to a fixed space.

I know I have watched a single fish pluck 25-30 AQ500 pellets many times, with the record being 37 pellets eaten at one feeding.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
J
JamieE Offline OP
OP Offline
J
I get the Zeiglers pellets from a dealer in Ft.Wayne. I bought that smaller size for the shiners and still have a half a bag left so I will use it up before buying more or anything different. We also have some lower grade catfish food that we've been grinding up for the FHM. It's a little larger and the shiners seem to struggle to get them down.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Jamie,

Who is the dealer in Ft. Wayne?

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 10/02/14 10:15 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

S
S
Originally Posted By: ewest
From the studies on feeding.

These results indicate that total fish production and production of bluegill were each increased approximately 75 to 80% by supplemental feeding in 19 months after stocking (Schmittou 1967)

Previous studies demonstrated that feed in excess of 10 pounds per acre per day in bluegill ponds was not utilized.

Very Interesting. I'm feeding about 2.5# per day max. Less if the fish are not hitting the pellets well like back when when the water was so hot in summer.

What would be a safe amount to go to without risking fish kills? Five pounds? 7 pounds? I really don't want to push the limits too much, and risk a fish kill. Using aeration.

Been eating a few of the CC (and an occasional BG if we accidentally gut or gill hook one) but the CC are only about a pound. Takes two of them to feed my wife and I about right. Can't wait for them to get to 2 pounds so one fish equals one meal. I never was crazy about catfish before, but these things fresh out of the pond are delicious! They taste 95% as good as the BG, which really surprises me. Sometimes the restaurant CC I've eaten in the past seemed kind of oily, which I did not care for. Not these.

So now I'm wanting to pack some pounds on them by next year.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
J
JamieE Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Cecil, I got the pellets from Jones fish. Do you know of another dealer near me that may be a better option? They only carry their Silver line, which is 34% protein and Id like to start getting their gold line which has protein levels in the 40%'s. How does the Zeigler compare to purina?

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
How close are you to Kalida Ohio?

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
J
JamieE Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Bill, I'm about 90 min from Kalida.

Last edited by JamieE; 10/03/14 08:31 AM.
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Okay - Remlinger Fish Farm - they have the Zeigler feed you are looking for in various sizes. Call and ask about size availability and pricing.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 10/03/14 08:33 AM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: JamieE
How does the Zeigler compare to purina?

P.M. me.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 10/03/14 10:47 AM.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: sprkplug
Conditioning is so prevalent....just ask Scott how many bluegills he caught on the 600 sized Stubby Steve's.

I agree on the conditioning! 3#-5# LMB in my pond will swim past a Purina LMB pellet to grab AM600 pellets.

But how many LMB did sprkplug catch on the AM500 vs. AM600 pellets? wink

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Originally Posted By: esshup

But how many LMB did sprkplug catch on the AM500 vs. AM600 pellets? wink

You mean you were deliberately targeting those nasty LMB thingies?? Huh. I've heard that some folks do that. laugh

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
laugh

I thought you needed some of the larger ones removed?

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
I still do, but I'm hoping they die from lack of forage. I don't want to actually have to handle one. grin

T
T
Jamie your pond is fabulous. I have taken many of your ideas and used it on my new pond. In looking at all of your photos I do have one question, and by no means am I the safety police. Why do you operate your tractor with the ROPS bar down and no counter weight on the rear?

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Todd, I rarely use my ROPS or seat belt. After almost flipping the whole works, I had the liquid added to the rear wheels. Now, I doubt that I could flip it if I tried. Well, knowing me, I probably could.

My tractor shed is too low for me to get the tractor in with the ROPS.

I have a lot of low hanging really large oak branches that I couldn't get under with the ROPS.

I no longer drink beer when I get into those kind of situations working sideways on a hill.

Actually, after almost flipping the dang thing I just no longer even work sideways on a hill. One time pretty well cured me of not thinking when using the FEL on a tricky spot.

But, you pose a good question. I just might be found someday all wadded up under the darn thing.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
ToddM, I'm a bit different than Dave, I operate with the ROPS up, but I'm normally on and off so much that a seatbelt is really a PITA. I know enough and can think quick enough that I need to hold on if it's going over, and keep my feet on the floor.

I was a supervisor in a steel warehouse. We'd have to take the fork lift outside to load wire mesh onto contractors trucks. Seatbelts had to be worn. One of the guys went out to load a truck, didn't pay attention to what he was doing and tipped the fork lift on it's side. Yes, he had his seatbelt on. But, the dumba.. stuck his foot out like you'd do on a bicycle to keep from tipping over. The result? Compound fracture......

Just like hard hats that had to be worn there. I didn't see the point. Yes, they'd protect your head from bumps and scrapes. I don't know how much they'd help if a couple thousand pound stack of steel sheets fell from the crane tho. What good is a hard hat going to do if you're squished like an ant on the bottom of somebody's shoe?

www.hoosierpondpros.com

J
JamieE Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Thanks for the comments about the pond Todd. I agree that my pics of the tractor are not a very good example of how to be safe running a tractor. I normally would have some type of weight on the back of the tractor for example a roto-tiller, but in this case the tiller would have prevented me from backing up once I pushed the rocks out into the pond. I got in a few situations where the tractor had to climb back over builders and this would have been impossible with equipment on the back. It was a very sticky situation, but really the only way to get the job done. I run the tractor without the ROPS most of the time as I work in open flat fields and they do not fit through the door of the barn where I park the tractor.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Hey Jamie, I'm down in Fl and am wondering what the water temps are up there. Also are you still feeding those YP ya got from Cecil?

Do nature a favor, spay/neuter your pets and any weird friends or relatives.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Bob, just in time for the hurricane? You sure bailed out of here fast!!! You're missing the low 40°F temps, 10-15 mph NW winds and the 1/2" of rain that we've had today.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

Page 8 of 14 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 13 14

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
jeffreythree, ShortCut
Recent Posts
Caught a couple nice bass lately...
by FishinRod - 04/24/24 01:18 PM
Happy Birthday Sparkplug!
by ewest - 04/24/24 11:21 AM
1/2 Acre Pond Build
by ewest - 04/24/24 11:17 AM
Inland Silver sided shiner