Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi, Lumberman1985, Bennettrand
18,500 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,961
Posts557,951
Members18,500
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,497
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,146
Who's Online Now
11 members (NADam, ArkieJig, highflyer, Lake8, catscratch, WallyB, Bigtrh24, Mainer, TonyinKY, Bill Cody, Rick O), 1,117 guests, and 247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#388651 10/01/14 08:58 AM
G
gklop Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Hi everyone. My name is Glenn and am a proud new pond owner. I recently purchased a 12 acre property which includes a 1/2 acre pond in Northwest Ohio. I have already learned a lot reading the forum hear but I am just starting the rejuvenation of my new pond. The pond was built back in the mid 80's and is clay lined. It has been neglected the last few years so I'm trying to bring it back to it's full potential. This pond is used as the water supply for the house so I know that puts limitations of what I can do with it. Currently I am in the process of clearing the overgrowth of brush and trees from around the perimeter. My current issue is what to do about the stumps around the bank. The water level is about three feet low so I have access to them. My worry is that if I pull them how should I patch the holes that are left. I don't think there is anything I can put on the stumps to rot them being that we use the water for the house. Anyone's input would be appreciated.

gklop #388655 10/01/14 10:02 AM
M
mpc Offline
M
Welcome gklop, As a non professional pond owner here are my thoughts. You said you pond is 1/2 acre and is currently 3 or so ft. low. If that pond water level is the average low year to year, and if you plan for "full potential" includes fish, I would stock for the expected low water level. Simply because a 1/2 acre pond could potentially have 1/2 the water in it with just a few feet drop depending on pond contours etc. If you have supplemental water via well water or stream etc. then you can plan more aggressively as you probably already know.

For the stumps, simply because since they have been there since the 80's, I will assume the issue is ascetic or you want a swimming area that is stump free. Whatever the reason for removal it is always a chance to cause a leak. If you are going to remove them no matter what, if it were me as a novice, I would have several sacks of bentonite clay and a larger load of quality clay to patch the holes left by the stumps. In the hole apply a heavy layer of bentonite/soil mix and pack as a first layer 1" to 3" thick, then line the hole in 1" to 3" packed layers of regular clay for a total of at least three layers or until smooth if you want a smooth bottom. IMHO

Maybe you have quality clay on your property. Just as a side note stumps turned upside down are great fish attractors. Fish will stage off a tree trunk but they really like the root system because bait fish stage just off the roots, quite a bit.Hope you have a tractor to help.

Some of the pro's on the site will chime in here shortly, and they will most likely want to know some other info, as I would like to know as well. Questions like how deep is your pond, acre ft. of water, if you know. Do you have prior fishing records, what kind of fish are already stocked, do you test the water for PH,O2,alky,siski clarity, etc, aeration now or in your future, what are your specific goals.Most likely you will be asked to post Pic's, most of us are male, site oriented.Not to be a typical male, the women on our site like to look too.

Good luck and hope you reach your goal(s).

Life is more fun with a pole in your hand.
mpc #388656 10/01/14 11:02 AM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ditto on the clay/bentonite where the stumps are (once they are removed). When they rot away they are going to leave a hole in the bottom anyway, and when the roots rot away the water can follow where they were to leak out of the pond.

I'd get some heavy equipment in there (even a backhoe), remove 'em and pack the holes that are left.

Next year, if you have an algae problem, look into stocking Blue Tilapia. That'll take care of the FA problem. They'll have to be restocked yearly because they won't overwinter.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
gklop #388665 10/01/14 01:14 PM
M
mpc Offline
M
Sorry to chime in here again,but on a more serious note I would be very careful, since you use the pond for house water supply, putting anything on the stumps to promote quicker rotting,and I would talk to a certified,licensed, aquatic chemical supply business in your area, before applying anything to the water. I am not anti chemical, but chemicals especially more than one type at a time combined with say fertilizer runoff or yard chemical runoff, could/may cause what we say in the chemical refining world, synergistic unknown reactions that might cause you and your family issues when you drink the water.

Not meaning to put out a big scare here but one should really know what they are about to drink or take a bath in. You can filter out the vast majority of chemicals, but you need to know what you are working with. Just A FYI

Me being from TX and you OHIO I would not know who to contact there other than to say Google pond water testing in your zip code and have the water tested for a baseline. You could work from there when you look at any chemical treatment(s). I think you are part of the Chesapeake water shed area and a lot of resources are available for those who live in it, as I have been told.

Life is more fun with a pole in your hand.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cobra01, Dan123, micam5, Rich B, woodster
Recent Posts
Prayers needed
by Fishingadventure - 04/24/24 11:24 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Fishingadventure - 04/24/24 06:40 PM
1/2 Acre Pond Build
by Theo Gallus - 04/24/24 05:32 PM
Caught a couple nice bass lately...
by Dave Davidson1 - 04/24/24 03:39 PM