Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,115
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,419
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
3 members (esshup, Bobbss, teehjaeh57), 728 guests, and 251 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
F
Flame Offline OP
OP Offline
F
My pond is not dug yet but will be 2 acres for lmb. approx. 12 ft deep at the max. My question is do all ponds my size need to have commercial aeration? Should I be installing a system in the bottom before the pond even fills? Thanks. Maybe I am supposed to just use the "wait and see" approach.

Dear Alcohol, We had a deal where you would make me funnier, smarter, and a better dancer... I saw the video... We need to talk.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
There's really no "set in stone" answer.

All ponds get muck in the bottom of them. Anything organic that falls into the pond, from dust to tree branches ends up on the bottom. Bacteria break down the organic matter. Aerobic bacteria break down the organics much faster than anaerobic bacteria.

Usually in the summer, water that's deeper than 8'-9' has little O2 (in your typical nutrient rich BOW).

Look into carrying capacity for ponds. Ponds with no supplemental feeding going on and no aeration can't support the pounds of fish that an aerated pond with a supplemental feeding program can. It all depends on how hard you will be pushing the pond.

Lets say you decide not to aerate.

Think of the water in your pond as a savings account. It's 12' deep. Say the average depth is 6'. Now along comes a hot dry year. Your pond looses 6' of water. That's the same as loosing over 1/2 of your money in your savings account.

All the fish that you have now have to live in 1/2 the space. Depending on how much of that carrying capacity you were utilizing, you might now be over the carrying capacity for the water that is left. So, you might be faced with a decision that has to be made quickly. Get some surface agitators to get some O2 into the water quickly, or remove a bunch of fish before Mother Nature does it for you.

Typically carrying capacity doesn't come into play if the pond is young and you don't have a lot of fish in there. The older the pond is, the more organics that are in the pond, the more fish are in the pond, the more critical aeration is. If you want to slow down the eutrophication process of your pond as much as possible, start aerating from day 1.

I look at a properly designed aeration system as an insurance policy. You might not need it for a long, long time, but when you do, you're glad to have it.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
F
Flame Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Thanks esshup, That was a very clear answer for me. That will give me some time to get some electricity down to the pond. I guess it is not that big a deal to install after the lake fills right?

Dear Alcohol, We had a deal where you would make me funnier, smarter, and a better dancer... I saw the video... We need to talk.
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Aeration as mentioned keeps oxygenated water on the bottom providing it is sized properly for pond size, shape, and depth. Bottom aeration slows the aging process of the pond assuming all things or influences are equal in a non-aerated and aerated pond. The aerated pond will stay overall "better" water quality wise than the non-aerated pond. A 2 acre pond will often require 3 to 5 bottom diffusers depending on pond shape & depth. Generally only water bottom areas deeper than 5-6ft need to be aerated. The shallower areas (<6ft) will usually be mixed pretty thoroughly by the wind assuming the pond surface is windswept. Deeper ponds in TX (8-12ft) are generally a good idea if drought periods occur in your area.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 09/16/14 07:15 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Not a big deal to install after the pond is full if you have a boat with a motor. Might be a wee bit difficult to swim it out there!! wink

Although I have done it in one pond. (swim the diffuser out)

I used a upside down 5 gallon bucket and only had to swim out about 70' from shore. It was a real PITA pulling the bottomline tubing out that far, even tho the diffuser was floating with the 5 gal bucket. That 70' felt like a quarter mile!!

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Hey Esshup I bet it did. That line gets heavy!! Falme I used a 12 foot flat bottom boat and a trolling motor to set mine. When you go to set it you want to remember 2 things.

1. You want to keep your fuser up off the bottom somewhat say at least 4 to 6 inches. If you read up on that you can find several ways to do that.

2. (I made this mistake) Make sure you somehow tie a small float with a rope to your air station so if you have to pull it up to do maintanence on it all you have to do is pull the float and rope up. I had a heck of a time getting mine off the bottom the first time I had to bring it up.....

RC

Last edited by RC51; 09/23/14 08:25 AM.

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
RC, just last week I put in a system where some of the runs to the diffusers were 700' long..... No way would an electric motor have enough oomph to pull that!!

www.hoosierpondpros.com

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Oh yeah I suppose your right if your going that far! That hose is toooooo heavy! I only had to go a 100 feet. I bet I could have gone 200 feet but not much past that good point Esshup!

RC

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Figure 1/2 pound per linear foot for the .58" I.D. stuff. We strung out 2,600 feet of it last week in one pond.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/29/24 01:06 AM
pond experience needed
by esshup - 03/29/24 12:45 AM
Alum vs Bentonite/Lathanum for Phosphorus Removal?
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:28 PM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails