Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
MidwestCass, Bucyrus22B, Steve Clubb, macman59, jm96
18,483 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,944
Posts557,788
Members18,483
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,508
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,141
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 712 guests, and 270 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#387967 09/22/14 02:11 PM
B
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
B
Mowing the front side of the dam has been an ongoing issue for me. I have spent a lot of time trying to come up with a better answer than weed eating half of a football field. Found this video on youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Grxc5Foytos Redneck genius.

So bought a couple of steel plates , an 8 foot piece of pipe, a bit of chain and a few nuts and bolts and went to work.

1st step was to reinforce the walk-behind mower deck. Of course the mower deck was contoured and it took a little hacksawing to make the steel plates fit, but it was worth the effort because that mower going to take some abuse. Add a big bolt and cut off a small piece of the pipe as a riser and it’s done. Attached the pipe the towing mower to the walk-behind and a bit a chain and ready to try it out.

Fired up both mowers and let her rip. Handling is a little squirrelly. Let me tell you this isn’t precision mowing. Judging exactly where that walk-behind mower is going is part guessing, it does move around a bit. Going slow is the only way. That just was as well because any hole in the ground is certain to have a wheel fall in it. Only had one hole that was too deep and hung up the mower. Otherwise the mower just popped right out.

Turning….better plan that well in advance, it gets interesting when you pull the walk-behind mower up and around to the other side of the dam. I quickly figured that it was only a matter of time before running over the chain. So a couple of bungee cords on each of the chain fixed the problem.

If you are tempted to try out this redneck mowing, let me tell you that turning on a slope gets exciting and probably a little dangerous. That walk-behind mower is putting a lot of leverage on your towing mower. A couple of times I had the front end coming up. Going slow is your friend. Avoid turning if the towing unit is on a slope. Staying on top of the dam is a good idea.

I am going to add an adjustable extension pipe and try to add another 5 or 6 feet. Have some doubts that it can be extended that far. My zero turn mower probably can’t handle that much leverage in making turns.

This little project was a lot fun and has solved a problem for me. It not pretty (actually it is very crude) but it did the job. Feel free to tell me how to improve this redneck mowing.

Attached Images
Mower 1.JPG Mower 2.JPG mower 3.JPG

It's another day in paradise
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Cool!!
I gotta ask tho, how'd you get the grass to grow upside down? wink grin

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Still looks a bit on the dangerous side!!!

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

M
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
M
Living on the edge to say the least... eek

FWIW - Moment=RxF ; R is the length of pole and F is the weight of the little mower.

The dam mower and bar weight could be off set with a bar and weight set 180 degrees from the little mower; attached at the same point on your tractor. Match up the Moments or better yet make the M away from the water 2x. This would minimize the front tire lift and potential roll over.

mnfish #387973 09/22/14 03:44 PM
B
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
B
I suspect that a traditional riding mower would work better than a zero turn. Controllable front tires and heavier front end. Offsetting weight onto the high side is good idea. Also have considered replacing the chain with another pipe giving more control. I want to stress that no alcohol was involved. This definitely wasn’t a hold my beer and watch this moment.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
I keep thinking of the pucker factor.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
B
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
B
Dave, it really wasn't too bad. Once I learned to stay on top of the dam. If on the slope, well....that isn't the best idea. I am hoping for a few more ideas from you fellows and have a solution to problem.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Well, if no beer was involved, just add some poisonous snakes for a bit of adventure....

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Clever engineering, but at some degree of tilt, doesn't the oil bath lessen to the point of detriment? I have had mowers and other 4 stroke implements sputter, choke, and die out once they tip over at too much of an angle.

Brettski #387982 09/22/14 04:24 PM
B
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
B
Brettski, I don't know the answer. You may have hit on a real problem. I had the little mower going for about 1.5 hours and it was still running without a problem. But lack of oil for an extended time is going to cause a failure. I haven't seen a 2-cycle mower in over 20 years. Any ideas?

on another note, I would add a kill switch for the extended mower to the seat of the tow mower....... Just saying.

I think I would look for a better solution. It is worth the money.......

Brian

The one thing is the one thing
A dry fly catches no fish
Try not to be THAT 10%
highflyer #387985 09/22/14 05:32 PM
B
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
B
Good idea Brian!

Last edited by Bushwacker; 09/22/14 05:45 PM.

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Sometimes I think there's no easy substitute for blood and sweat. Still, I sympathize with all those looking for a solution. I might consider replacing the bolt with a trailer ball, and adding the appropriate coupler hitch to the pipe. I think this would allow for greater freedom of movement for the pushmower....let it follow the ground a little easier, rather than being forced around by the bigger mower.

And along those lines, I would replace those plastic wheels with pneumatic tire/wheel assemblies, complete with sealed bearings. If you add an additional attachment point to the pushmower, you might also get away with casters, rather than fixed wheels.

The oiling issue may be a problem sure enough. Find an old, garage sale Lawn-Boy 2 cycle and try that instead

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
C
C
Or... just put mix oil/gas (2 cycle gas) into your current mower. I have an old Toro recycler and I don't go through my 2 cycle gas very quickly and I don't like throwing away old gas. Instead of buying fuel stabilizer, from time to time when it is time to go to the gas station and I need an empty 2 gallon can for mixing, I put the 50:1 mix into my Toro 21" 4 stroke recycler. That little bit of oil in the gas hasn't produced any smoke and it seems to run fine.

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Originally Posted By: canyoncreek
Or... just put mix oil/gas (2 cycle gas) into your current mower. I have an old Toro recycler and I don't go through my 2 cycle gas very quickly and I don't like throwing away old gas. Instead of buying fuel stabilizer, from time to time when it is time to go to the gas station and I need an empty 2 gallon can for mixing, I put the 50:1 mix into my Toro 21" 4 stroke recycler. That little bit of oil in the gas hasn't produced any smoke and it seems to run fine.

2 cycle mix won't hurt a 4 stroke, and it will add lubrication to the cylinder walls and piston rings, but it won't do a thing for the main and rod bearing surfaces. They need lubrication also.

R
R
Would it foul out the plug faster? Just thinking out loud.....

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Most modern 2 cycle engines in the OPE industry utilize a 50:1 mixture. It shouldn't foul the plug in a four cycle, any quicker than it would in a two cycle.

sprkplug #388025 09/23/14 08:10 AM
B
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
B
Sprkplug, I don't mind the sweat, but that blood thing bothers me a little. smile Adding a trailer hitch ball would help for sure.

Everyone is right about the oil issue and it looks like a 2-cycle mower may be the only solution. The current mower probably would last for awhile, but it is only matter of time before it fails.

You should be able to find an older 2 cycle mower (we always used the Lawn Boy Iron Horse mowers for the pond banks when I was growing up - used the same mower every week to mow the pond bank for 15 years) at a garage sale/auction/etc. A 4 stroke won't last on much of an angle, as indicated above by others.

Dale

[Linked Image from i90.photobucket.com]

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water." - anonymous
dlowrance #388041 09/23/14 09:56 AM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker

I wasn't able to find a video of it, but I've seen home made tow behind mowers made from old reel type push mowers. I'd be willing to bet you could make something that is offset to one side from those and not have to worry about oiling the motor. Just pull it behind your garden tractor.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
esshup #388068 09/23/14 12:39 PM
B
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
B
Esshup, interesting...I have never used a reel mower, so this is probably a dumb question, how well does this type of mower cut tough high weeds?

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
In my experience, ground-driven reel mowers work best when the grass is short.....and is strictly grass, with no weeds or brush present.

Take a look at this: http://www.farmshow.com/a_article.php?aid=16806

If you get a belt driven sickle, you could add a bigger gas engine and probably drive a 7 footer. Lay the cutter bar down over the dam, and let the engine ride up on level ground.

Last edited by sprkplug; 09/23/14 01:29 PM. Reason: added link

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Froggy Joe
Recent Posts
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves
by Bill Cody - 04/18/24 08:53 PM
How many channel cats in 1/5 acre pond?
by Dave Davidson1 - 04/18/24 08:41 PM
1/4 HP pond aerator pump
by esshup - 04/18/24 06:58 PM
Hi there quick question on going forward