Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,133
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,422
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
11 members (Theo Gallus, jpsdad, Boondoggle, Sunil, Bill Cody, Augie, Jason D, PRCS, Shorthose, Brett B, Layne), 945 guests, and 219 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline
My goal is for a nice quality LMB and CC pond. I thought I wanted some CC as put in / take out fish as well to harvest and eat, but after all that I have read, I am a bit skeptical. I have 2 little grandsons (1&2)and a little great grand daughter (2) that I would love to come out and learn to fish with "Pop". I tell everyone the pond is for them, but who am I kidding.......it's for me.

As mentioned in a previous post a month or so back, I have purchased a property in SE Texas with an existing pond. I'm not sure of the size of it...maybe a 1/4 of an acre at best. The water was clear but heavily stained. The pond was creek fed and the creek (Lime Creek) dumped into the pond as well as flowed around it. The pond was approx. 7' deep. I didn't try to fish it much, but did catch a few BH on a couple of occasions

Old Pond

The first order of business was to open up the creek beyond the pond, then dam up where the creek had fed the pond. A levee was cut the pond was allowed to drain in addition to pumping it down. It was amazing there were several LMB in the 2 lb range as well as some BG and small BH in the pond. I guess they came in with the drainage upstream I surmise, as the pond was primarily used to water livestock.

Draining and Damming Old Pond

The dozer and track hoe went to work mucking out the pre-existing pond portion as well as expanding to a size I guess to be about 3 times the original size. 5' of muck was removed in the process. We ended up moving 347) 14yd loads of earth in the process of renovating this pond. I cleared (brush hogged) land while the guys dug. We spread the soil on the brushed acreage as I will plant pine trees this winter.

Mucking out the Pond

Digging and reshaping continued and the pond was eventually completed. It is approx. 10+' on the deep end for 1/3 of the length, then tapers up to 8' for about a third, then ends up with a shallow end that supports 3' of water. I have added a feeder and structure in the shallow end, additional structure constructed with pallets and young cedar trees and sunk near the deep end. 5 gal. buckets with hoses (artificial trees) at 6-8', and perforated gutter drain hose pyramids at 3'. I got most of the ideas for constructing all the structure from reading Pond Boss.

Expanding the Pond

About 3/4 Competed

The night after the pond was finished, we had a 7"+ rain and the pond filled up to the point of breaching the levee. I went out that Friday about noon and got the dam overflow level cut and commenced to getting the pond drained down to the desired level. In my haste, I cut the overflow off too short and ended up having to run to Lowes to get an extension to put in place. The pond was muddy as can be, but there was nothing I could do about that at that time. Suggestions from this site has given me some much needed patience and reassurance that all will be ok in the end. The pond has been starting to clear up, and I believe it will continue to do so as my rye grass comes in.

Pond Completed and beginning to clear up.

I was unsure of when to stock fish, and got some great suggestions from the members here on Pond Boss for a forage base. With a pH of 8, I made a trip to Overton's and Todd was gracious to let me in the gate early to pick up my forage fish (CNBG & FHM)before the August Texas heat got to the pond. I picked up 400 CNBG and 10lbs of FHM. Todd Overton is a class act and was very helpful. I look forward to my next trip over to pick up my RES this fall, then my LMB and CC this spring. Thanks, to all on Pond Boss, that help me with this endeavor. I don't just read Pond Boss Forum....I study it!. I've been reading this forum a long time and finally decided to post this project.

Charlie

......thanks, esshup for the posting tips....

Last edited by stickem'; 09/23/14 11:06 AM.

...when in doubt...set the hook...
OP Offline
http://s46.photobucket.com/user/charlesb...?sort=3&o=1

Can anyone help with the photo's....I ain't all that savvy!!!!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker

There's a tutorial in the archives on how to upload photos.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
OP Offline
....I read it, I obviously need to read it again....
Many Thanks,

OP Offline
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f132/charlesbourgeois/panopond_zpsac3c0463.jpg

When you make a new post, or reply to a post, look at the box to the right of the "envelope" tab - 3 boxes to the right of the smiley face. Click on that, click on "insert a non-floating image", and paste what you pasted in the reply above, then click "OK".

Last edited by esshup; 09/21/14 08:04 PM.

OP Offline
Test Post

[img]http://s46.photobucket.com/user/charlesb...c4.jpg.html?o=7[/img]

On the right side of the Photobucket page you'll see a box that says "Direct". Copy ALL of the info in that box. I had to wait about 2 minutes before it came back with a "copied" message (in yellow)

Now do the click and paste thing.

When I copied it, this is what i copied http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f132/charlesbourgeois/Mobile%20Uploads/photo-25_zpsfadbf3c4.jpg

It's different than what you copied/pasted.

Last edited by esshup; 09/23/14 11:26 PM. Reason: made picture show up.

OP Offline
I think I got this photo thing figured out......thanks again, esshup...

Stickem'

OP Offline

Update: I made an attempt at planting fescue grass in August around the newly renovated pond, but the Texas heat had other ideas about it coming up. Some came up around the wet soil areas surrounding the pond banks, but most did not. The next attempt 4 weeks ago was with ryegrass (and some red clover - deer food plot). After disking the surface behind a tractor, 200lb of seed was broadcast, and then a piece of cattle panel was dragged behind a 4 wheeler to cover seed. Two good solid afternoon rain showers the following week set it in. Hopefully when the weather cools, the ryegrass will continue to take hold. We could use a little more rain.

The water is still a bit cloudy from the watershed around the pond, but it continues to clear up slowly as the ryegrass continues to come in. Visibility is approx. 14". I shipped a water sample to Overton's earlier this week and the water quality results are as follows:

pH: 6.8
Alkalinity: 44ppm
Total Hardness 40ppm

stickem'

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Sounds good

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
P
P
Lookin good stickem

Got yourself a showplace! Todds a good guy. Gotta go see him soon

Pat W

OP Offline
Thanks, Pat....maybe we could meet at Overton's sometime...would love to see your place.

P
P
Stickem

That would be nice to meet up and hang out. I tried the fescue thing and none of it came up that I could see. Finally got som Bermuda grass to sprout. What I really need is a lot of rain. The coons can't get to your feeder. Lol
Once again your pond looks great!

Pat W

OP Offline
As you'll know, I've been concerned with constant clay (erosion) washing back into the pond from the watershed every time it rains. I've taken a step, this past weekend, to rectify the situation. I purchased a 13 Ton load of 1 1/2 limestone from a local aggregate supplier and proceeded to lay in the rock at the waterline this past weekend. We got about 1/2 of the pond bank completed before the rain hit us, and it has already made a substantial impact on the water quality with regards to turbidity. Areas most affected were laid in first. Unfortunately, I rutted the place up in the process.

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f132/charlesbourgeois/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_2194_zps7ab9bf94.jpg
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f132/c...zps31fbd09e.jpg
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f132/c...zps26612e75.jpg

Last edited by stickem'; 11/23/14 01:06 PM.

P
P
Charlie
Lookin good! Beautiful

Pat W

OP Offline
Thanks, Pat...hopefully, it will dry up enough next week for me to get back there to finish what I started. I hope you got some of that good rain that we had the last 24 hrs.

P
P
Stickem
Not much rain here. 1-1/2" better than nothing

Pat W

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
pond experience needed
by FishinRod - 03/29/24 10:13 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by jpsdad - 03/29/24 09:57 AM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by jpsdad - 03/29/24 09:19 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by RogersTailgate - 03/29/24 05:45 AM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday