Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,080
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
14 members (jludwig, Donatello, catscratch, DrLuke, esshup, Requa, Shorthose, Blestfarmpond, JasonInOhio, H20fwler, Theo Gallus, Justin W, LeighAnn, Bob Lusk), 844 guests, and 210 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
TJ, you've got inferior genetics in your pond. Seine them all out and send them to Indiana. wink grin

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: esshup
TJ, you've got inferior genetics in your pond. Seine them all out and send them to Indiana. wink grin

Now come on I didn't meant anything negative about it, but even with the best genetics sometimes a negative trait shows up. grin Sometimes if the gene pool is too small negative traits start showing up.

That's why I have crossed my bluegills twice now with other genes although those wonderful Condello traits still show up.

I think it's very unlikely it's genetic thing but find it odd the fish are robust but have the sunken bellies at the same.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 09/19/14 03:00 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Cecil, what I posted had nothing to do with anything you posted. Honest!

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: esshup
Cecil, what I posted had nothing to do with anything you posted. Honest!

I know. grin

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

J
J
That appears to be a copper nose bream.

The Copper nosed bream will spawn once per month where I am.
What you are looking at COULD BE the results of , after spawning.

Often times both male and females will appear run down or have concave bellies after a spawn.

If you have coppernose bream then you probably have plenty of food in your pond. The Copper nose bream WILL cannibalize. I have seen it with my own two eyes. They will swallow anything they can get in their mouth.

My pond, which I stocked only about 5 months ago with copper nose bream is teaming with infants. I am 100% positive that these infants are not the same fish I stocked.

The fish I stocked were a max size of 2.5 inches for the larger ones. Most were an inch to 1.5 inches.

I was mad as hell when I found this casualty. I wanted to put gasoline on that bird and light him on fire. Regurgitated the fish as I ran out to scare him away.

This Bream measured 6.5 inches and is healthy as can be. And beautiful.

Last edited by Jason007; 09/22/14 01:07 AM.
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Jason,

Coppernose woudn't survive the winters in Nebraska. I'm pretty sure Teehjaeh57's bluegills originally came from Bruce Condello in Nebraska.

TJ?

The birds are just doing what they evolved to do thousands of years a go. There are nonlethal ways to keep them out of your pond.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 09/22/14 05:03 AM.

Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
Looks like a GBH stab wound to me.

Fishery is all Male CSBG - no reproduction, and yes, Condello genetics.

Note: Evening feedings are becoming more assertive - not sure if the YP are finally getting into the action or if the lower temps are encouraging a feeding run. Either way, feedings over the past two weeks are encouraging. I'm feeding 1 second throws at 7:30 AM; 7:10 PM; 7:30 PM; and 7:50 PM. Fish last night were feeding into the twilight hours past 8. Will sample again in Mid October - hope to see some signs of improvement in body condition.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Good for you teehjaeh! I sill have yet to see more than a handful of yellow perch come up for feed and I should have close to 300 in the .62 acre pond (all females no forage fish).

I moved 91 8 to 12 inch perch from a cage to my refilled hatchery pond (the hatched fish are 4 to 5 inches now inside) and have had only two or three come up for pellets. They too had gone off feed in the cage. I had them in the cage because I couldn't reliably sex them, and will leave them in this pond over the winter so I can in the spring.

J
J
Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1
Jason,

Coppernose woudn't survive the winters in Nebraska. I'm pretty sure Teehjaeh57's bluegills originally came from Bruce Condello in Nebraska.

TJ?

The birds are just doing what they evolved to do thousands of years a go. There are nonlethal ways to keep them out of your pond.

I'm open to suggestions on keeping the birds out. non-lethally. The soul has no control over what body it was put into.

Ideas would be appreciated.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
TJ here is a bit from an upcoming Cutting Edge article

. In this study with young Bluegill six practical diets were formulated, with varying levels of protein (32–44%) and lipid (6–12%). Final weight during the test period, feed intake, and feed efficiency values increased with increasing levels of dietary protein. Increasing the lipid content by 4% in the 32%-protein diet (to 10% lipid) or the 44%-protein diet (to 12% lipid) had little influence on the performance of the fish. Although the fish grew well on all diets tested, they grew best when offered a diet containing 44% protein and 8% lipid. Other studies show that because fish growth often is limited by food availability, supplemental feeding is a logical tool to improve the condition of fish in small impoundments as the energy cost for bluegill to feed on pellets is small relative to the high caloric intake, which can be 4-5 times greater than those fed natural foods (Schalles and Wissing 1976).

Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
That's encouraging...they have AM 500-600 multiple times daily and plenty of FHM, Grass Shrimp and invertebrates to snack on throughout the day.

Interesting to note - some BG are trying to make a living by hovering beneath pellets and at least trying to pick off swarming FHM. They swirl 2-3" below the pellets. I don't know if this is supplemental to pellets, or they've decided they prefer FHM to pellets. Regardless, it's interesting to see how their feeding habits have evolved to include other forage items.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Jason007
Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1
Jason,

TJ?

I'm open to suggestions on keeping the birds out. non-lethally. The soul has no control over what body it was put into.

Ideas would be appreciated.

http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=332985&page=1

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57
That's encouraging...they have AM 500-600 multiple times daily and plenty of FHM, Grass Shrimp and invertebrates to snack on throughout the day.

Interesting to note - some BG are trying to make a living by hovering beneath pellets and at least trying to pick off swarming FHM. They swirl 2-3" below the pellets. I don't know if this is supplemental to pellets, or they've decided they prefer FHM to pellets. Regardless, it's interesting to see how their feeding habits have evolved to include other forage items.

You sure it is FHM and not grass shrimp they are picking off? I notice grass shrimp love to eat my pellets. Because they can be hard to see in the water, sometimes it appears the pellets is swimming around on its own. Then I look closer and can see a grass shrimp or two pushing it around as they feed on it. Then I see a swirl and bye bye goes the shrimp...

Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
T - that could certainly be the case - there's a strong population of shrimp. I will investigate on the next sunny day to see if any shrimp are hitting pellets and report back. I'd be happy to learn that's the case...anything to keep these BG fed. It's interesting how they are evolving to take advantage of different forage opportunities. Not all fish feed in this way, seems only a few have figured it out or utilize the method.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by Donatello - 03/28/24 11:35 AM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 11:01 AM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Theo Gallus - 03/28/24 10:27 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Freeze Danger? - Electric Diaphragm Pump
by esshup - 03/26/24 09:47 PM
Newly Uploaded Images