Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,132
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,422
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
12 members (Boondoggle, Sunil, Bill Cody, FishinRod, jpsdad, Augie, Jason D, PRCS, Shorthose, Brett B, Layne, Angler8689), 957 guests, and 219 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
J
JKB Offline OP
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
... Anyone ever see these:

I was at my nieces wedding reception, and at about 9:00 pm they passed out a package to everyone. What's this?

Well, the band shut down and my sister took stage to explain what this is.

Basically, it's a hot air balloon made out of paper and plastic, and the fuel source is some kind of compressed material that you just put a match to.

Anyway, asked my sis if this was legal? Yep! So, we venture outside and had at least 40 participants.

I was the first to ignite mine, and it was going really good so I let it go. Wind shifted a tad and it went sideways and Hindenburg on me! Ball of flames!

We were between two buildings so that is a tad volatile, so we moved to the open parking lot out back.

Yeah, that works, and maybe got 15 in the air that were going for miles already! Pretty cool!

Well, One of the Grandville finest show's up and he has 3 backup cruisers in position, then the fire dept. shows up!

OK sis, you got us all busted!

The officials were really cool, but the fire dept. has to try track where these things are going to land. If they get good lift, they will burn up quite high, but this is just so random on what will happen.

Yep, you are supposed to make a wish with these things, and if it takes to flight, your wish will come true. I guess my wish was way too big wink

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
"Ball of flames" where's the pics of that? Good story.

Do nature a favor, spay/neuter your pets and any weird friends or relatives.
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Used to have a lot of fun with Cincinnati fire kites as a kid.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
J
JKB Offline OP
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Originally Posted By: sprkplug
Used to have a lot of fun with Cincinnati fire kites as a kid.

Is that anything like a balloon filled with Acetylene and Oxygen, in proper proportions tho, then you take about 10' of bailers twine that's been soaked in fuel oil, tie it to the balloon, light it and run like hell!

The key to success here is when your father comes home from a long day at work, you are able to distract him enough so he won't notice the blown out windows on the house he is busting his butt to pay for.

Well, my father is pretty keen, and let's just say, that never happened again!

I mean, it was a BIG Balloon!

B
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
B
I bought a case of these a couple of years ago. The first one I lit went straight up about 100 feet, hit some kind of air current and took off straight north. We tracked it a little over two miles and found it in a road ditch right beside a newly combined wheat field. It looks like it could have caused quite a fire, but I am not sure how hot they are when they land. Since then I have been told that the authorities frown on them, your insurance agent probably does too, so I have a case less one.

"I love living. I have some problems with my life, but living is the best thing they've come up with so far." � Neil Simon,
J
JKB Offline OP
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
These were not burning ferociously. I mean, where the fuel cake is attached to is just plastic, and was really surprised they even worked, but they did!

T
T
Originally Posted By: JKB

Is that anything like a balloon filled with Acetylene and Oxygen, !

Just so you know static electricity from the balloon can ignite this mixture while being put in. wink Found out the hard way, just stand on my right side to talk to me. If you do you might get a "what did you say?". Good news is the hair will grow back lol.

As a firefighter I can tell you we aren't big fans of those things. Had some turned loose last year at some event that caught several dozen acres of field and timber on fire.

Very pretty, kinda neat, and a great way to start something burning you didn't intend to.

Dale

[Linked Image from i90.photobucket.com]

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water." - anonymous
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Just like a lot of other instances these days, I think it boils down to needing to be smarter than a fence post before making that "do I launch or not" decision. Sending a flaming device up into the air certainly carries a significant risk potential, but I believe a little common sense would greatly lessen the chances of disaster. Eliminate altogether, no.....reduce, yes.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
It does sound somewhat like "Hold my beer and watch this.".

Last edited by Dave Davidson1; 09/25/14 11:19 AM.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Not surprisingly to those who know me - I love night lanterns and typically deploy a fleet here around Independence Day - they are a blast to watch slowly disappear from view miles away.

July in NE is humid and we're surrounded by irrigated green corn and soybeans so the fields don't pose much of a fire hazard. In fact, I haven't heard of any fires ever being ignited around here, but have to admit it seems a fully irresponsible act to send a floating ball of flame up into the night with zero control or idea of where or when it will descend. This is likely why it appeals to me so much following a few cocktails...they typically wipe away any hesitation. I figure they can't be legal much longer.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

J
JKB Offline OP
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1
It does sound somewhat like "Hold my beer and watch this.".

I would say that sums it up about right, Dave.

There was a recent event in or around Grand Rapids where they launched 300 of these things, but heck, that's all concrete.

The few successful launches we had, you could see them go out in the sky. They didn't burn very long, even on the ground.

Now, this brings up the chicken little thing about the sky is falling laugh

O
O
We have lit them on several occasions and never had any problems.. Like mentioned a little common sense goes a long way.. When used properly they are out and completely cool before ever hitting the ground..

J
JKB Offline OP
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Originally Posted By: Tums
Originally Posted By: JKB

Is that anything like a balloon filled with Acetylene and Oxygen, !

Just so you know static electricity from the balloon can ignite this mixture while being put in. wink Found out the hard way, just stand on my right side to talk to me. If you do you might get a "what did you say?". Good news is the hair will grow back lol.

I knew all about static electricity and this concoction about 40 years ago when we touched this one off. It was not your every day balloon!

Did I ever mention I hate kneeling? Not only did I have to pay for the windows, but after all the furniture was cleared out, glass cleaned up... I had to kneel in the middle of the room on a hardwood floor for 4 hours facing the windows, without flinching very much. I remember I had to pee really bad after a while, and the john was just right around the corner, but I stuck it out to the end.

Not too long after this, my dad won me a dune buggy in a poker game with his friends. Yep, no more balloons, but who the hell welded this cage up? I mean, I had to redo it all! It was a homemade rig and really cool, but falling apart with the chicken poop welds.

Had a lot of fun with it after it was made right, then sold it for some decent cash.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by jpsdad - 03/29/24 09:57 AM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by jpsdad - 03/29/24 09:19 AM
pond experience needed
by esshup - 03/29/24 08:19 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by RogersTailgate - 03/29/24 05:45 AM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday