Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,051
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,407
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
2 members (Rainman, Bobbss), 458 guests, and 152 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#387816 09/19/14 09:56 PM
C
OP Offline
C
I am thinking about maybe stocking some hsb next year but what I was wondering is I have a creek feed 1/4 acre pond and I have tried looking up some info is there any legal issues with stocking hsb in a creek? I have nets on the entry and exit of my pond so nothing should leave. I have tried looking and I haven't had any luck. I live in Texas and I know that there are several lakes near by in Oklahoma that have hsb but I didn't know the difference there. I am really leaning towards hsb since I won't have reproduction to deal with since my pond is so small. any info would be greatly appreciated

Clay White #387823 09/19/14 10:52 PM
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Is your pond an excavated pond that happens to have a creek as a water source, or did you dam up a ravine that the creek ran through to create the pond? It is nearly impossible to prevent HSB from escaping a pond during high water events. It is the reason some states have banned them statewide or in certain watersheds. Research has been done showing that HSB can compete with pure striped bass in estuaries and possibly cross back with them causing genetic issues. Now in Texas, there is no native striped bass population so that isn't an issue and any lake they would end up in likely already has an HSB and striped bass population in it. So I wouldn't see a biological reason to not allow them...

Clay White #387829 09/20/14 06:25 AM
G
Lunker
Lunker
G
Originally Posted By: Clay White
I am thinking about maybe stocking some hsb next year but what I was wondering is I have a creek feed 1/4 acre pond and I have tried looking up some info is there any legal issues with stocking hsb in a creek? I have nets on the entry and exit of my pond so nothing should leave. I have tried looking and I haven't had any luck. I live in Texas and I know that there are several lakes near by in Oklahoma that have hsb but I didn't know the difference there. I am really leaning towards hsb since I won't have reproduction to deal with since my pond is so small. any info would be greatly appreciated
Clay, the part of the country you are from and the current drought conditions in Texas, especially in the panhandle, I would worry more about having water in that creek than HSB... grin
Yes, it is legal to stock HSB in any private water in Texas.

In fact TP&W stock HSB every year in public reservoirs each year.
They are fast becoming one of the most sought after game fish in Texas reservoirs - and my favorite.
Best of luck!
George

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)

george1 #387833 09/20/14 07:33 AM
G
Lunker
Lunker
G
Clay,just thinkin' - you are in deep well country with more water than we have ...you got a well?
Also, where are you getting your HSB?

Our closest supplier is in Buffalo Texas and that's close to 450 miles from Mobeetie.
Keo Arkansas is 530 miles.
Lincoln Nebraska is 530 miles! crazy
Most folks outside of Texas don't know our size!

Tell us more about your plans for you creek and pond?
I love HSB and small ponds!
G/

Clay White #387839 09/20/14 09:34 AM
C
OP Offline
C
CJ my pond we widened out the edges where the creek was originally flowing and we kinda damned up a little as well. That's kinda what I was thinking I have heard of them stocking them a lot in lakes but I was just kinda wanted to make sure. What I was worried about was them competing against lmb.

George yea that is a pretty good point but we have drought problem every year it's just how bad haha. I have been delivering 500 gallons at a time down there to keep as much water in it as I can but it's slow going to say the least haha.
To the water well question actually the land the creek is located on the people that had the land before my grand parents they had an irrigation system installed so I'm trying to get my uncle to come help me pull the well so we can replace the pump so I can just use it to try and fill the creek whenever needed. Also on our land right before the creek there is 70 feet bluff that drops off and then goes to the creek. The water table must be really low right there cause about half way down you can see where the water comes out of the ground and helps feed the creek with water also.
Yea I'm know Overton's is about the closest I went there to get my bluegill back in July I got 250 bluegill and I think I had 2 of them die. They were in the bags for 8 hours I was pleasantly surprised. Will the hsb be as forgiving for the long drive back as the bluegill were or not?
As for goals I'm just looking for a nice place to go fishing I'm not looking for trophy fish just catch several fish and have a place to relax at and spend time with my family. I would say my pond is about 1/4 acre and average depth is probably 5 feet and max depth is 10 feet.

Clay White #387844 09/20/14 10:19 AM
G
Lunker
Lunker
G
CJ my pond we widened out the edges where the creek was originally flowing and we kinda damned up a little as well. That's kinda what I was thinking I have heard of them stocking them a lot in lakes but I was just kinda wanted to make sure. What I was worried about was them competing against lmb.

George yea that is a pretty good point but we have drought problem every year it's just how bad haha. I have been delivering 500 gallons at a time down there to keep as much water in it as I can but it's slow going to say the least haha.
To the water well question actually the land the creek is located on the people that had the land before my grand parents they had an irrigation system installed so I'm trying to get my uncle to come help me pull the well so we can replace the pump so I can just use it to try and fill the creek whenever needed. Also on our land right before the creek there is 70 feet bluff that drops off and then goes to the creek. The water table must be really low right there cause about half way down you can see where the water comes out of the ground and helps feed the creek with water also.
Yea I'm know Overton's is about the closest I went there to get my bluegill back in July I got 250 bluegill and I think I had 2 of them die. They were in the bags for 8 hours I was pleasantly surprised. Will the hsb be as forgiving for the long drive back as the bluegill were or not?
As for goals I'm just looking for a nice place to go fishing I'm not looking for trophy fish just catch several fish and have a place to relax at and spend time with my family. I would say my pond is about 1/4 acre and average depth is probably 5 feet and max depth is 10 feet.

Clay, I have been dealing with Todd since he went into the fish business - I believe I was his first customer...yes the HSB will make the trip just fine - I have never lost a fish that came from Overton's boxed with O2!

Only CNBG in pond presently and no predators?
If so, best of both worlds - you can stock fingerling HSB and in future grow them out in creek with a net as Ewest has done.
I would put a feeder in the creek and another on pond - fun fishing!
Todd will advise - good folks!
G/

Clay White #387854 09/20/14 07:12 PM
G
Lunker
Lunker
G

Clay, some of our experts need to chime in about predators to help HSB control BG over population. Do you plan to stock, or have you stocked any LMB?
I am somewhat a maverick on my small pond management but may not work for everyone. Early on, one LMB will suffice to help control BG over population and 2nd or 3rd year one Blue Catfish has done the job.

Also what about aeration plans?
I use bottom diffuser system in water deeper than ~6 ft and surface aerator in shallow end of 2 acre pond but no aeration in 1/4 acre pond. "It all depends" on water quality and availability - I know that this is a major issue in your part of the country.

Lots of information in archives about small pond management.
Budgets also come into play.
G/

Last edited by george1; 09/20/14 07:25 PM.

Clay White #387856 09/20/14 09:29 PM
C
OP Offline
C
Sorry George it's only the creek not a pond sometimes I refer to the creek as a pond sometimes haha. I stocked cnbg and fathead minnows but I think there were already a couple of lmb already in there. I'm thinking about trying to get rid of the lmb for now so I can get my forage base going for now and maybe put in some golden shiners also. I wouldn't mind having some lmb in there later on that are feed trained but I would like to only put in one sex of lmb so I don't have to deal with reproduction. I have just been hand feeding every night or every other night so far all my bluegill are well over their weight they should be for their length but I bought I feeder today so I can feed them at least twice a day. Thanks for the ideas about the lmb and the blue cat controlling the bluegill overpopulation. I'm always open to ideas and would like to try it. Do you get rid of the blue cat after it gets so big or what do you do there? Yea I would like to put an aerator in maybe next year but it will have to be a solar one since there is no power anywhere around. I have heard hsb feed train pretty well are Todd's feed trained? Also I haven't really heard a number of how many to stock per acre really?
thanks for all the info

Clay White #387859 09/21/14 05:52 AM
G
Lunker
Lunker
G
Clay, I'm getting way over my head discussing a pond that has more in common with central Oklahoma than N.E. Texas.
With perhaps a couple or so LMB already in pond, I would not stock any LMB and only consider a BC if and when BG become overpopulated.
Talk to Todd about numbers of HSB.
Our BC has become a "pet" and is likely 10 to 15 lbs.
We continue to have good numbers of CNBG from fingerling size to 8-9 inches - amazing little pond with no aeration.

If you have CNBG as far north as you are, the experts on the forum would be concerned about their survival.
I have no experience with ponds in your area.
Pictures will help.
Good luck,
George

Clay White #418101 07/09/15 10:43 AM
C
OP Offline
C
Sorry George I haven't been able to get on here I have been so busy at work. Now that the oil and gas has slowed down I can work on my pond again. I really like the idea of a catfish kinda keeping everything in check. I will have to try and do this. I was kinda worried about the CNBG surviving over the winter but spring came and it looked like I still had most of them if not all of them.

Clay White #418110 07/09/15 11:38 AM
G
Lunker
Lunker
G
Sorry George I haven't been able to get on here I have been so busy at work. Now that the oil and gas has slowed down I can work on my pond again. I really like the idea of a catfish kinda keeping everything in check. I will have to try and do this. I was kinda worried about the CNBG surviving over the winter but spring came and it looked like I still had most of them if not all of them.

Hi Clay, good to hear from you but just maybe you needed a work break to get back on your pond project. smile
Glad to hear your CNBG survived a harsh Texas winter - good news!

Here is my latest project - a 12v solar powered surface aerator system - working like a charm!
http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=416416#Post416416

Permian Basin still producing at record levels - as you know most of layoffs have been vertical hole drillers, whereas newer drills capable of drilling multiple wells from one pad site are going strong. I know the Wolfcamp/Sprayberry trend well - like drilling into layer cake.

Good work break until things pick back up - enjoy your creek ponds!
Let me know if there is anyway I can help even if unfamiliar with ponds in your part of the country.
Best,
George

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Rainman - 03/28/24 02:53 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Mark Dyer - 03/27/24 10:18 PM
Reducing fish biomass
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:17 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by Bill Cody - 03/27/24 10:18 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??