Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,082
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
9 members (Sunil, Jared015, Freg, Justin W, LeighAnn, Donatello, Theo Gallus, homewardbound, DenaTroyer), 786 guests, and 227 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#387372 09/14/14 08:55 AM
F
Flame Offline OP
OP Offline
F
My contractor said he could pile my 2-4 inch wide pine trees that are about 15 foot tall in my 2 acre pond for cover.I have 21 acres so he could push them aside and put them anywhere or burn them if needed.The whole 2 acres to be cleared is covered mostly in these small pine trees.Thousands of them I would guess. My questions are is that much pine rosin and needles going to be toxic to fish? Is it going to be too much decay and debre and make the lake unpleasant? We have no intentions of ever swimming in the pond so what do you think?

Dear Alcohol, We had a deal where you would make me funnier, smarter, and a better dancer... I saw the video... We need to talk.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
How will he keep them from floating? I wouldn't put them all in the pond, but I can't tell you how many is too many.

There is a good cover/structure thread in the archives. You might want to take a look at it if you haven't done so already. There IS a rhyme and reason where/why to put cover in a pond for the fish.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
W
W
Flame, I second the note from Essup. There are some great threads in the archives. In my case, I've created some piles along the shoreline with a mixture of rip rap, dirt and brush in my two-acre pond. I used rip rap (cinder blocks would be a cheaper option) and dirt to help hold the brush in place. I also have a shallow area, a sort of shelf, where I can place brush until I can establish some aquatic plants. Like you, I have an abundance of pine trees as well as cedar trees and I plan to add them over time for cover as I clear my fence rows. So, I've researched this a bit and there's not a wealth of information out there specific to conifers. But, here's what I've found... wink

A general rule of thumb is that 20% of the pond should have cover. For a 2-acre pond, that's 0.4 acre of cover. It seems to me that a mix of pine & cedar brush with aquatic vegetation would be a good goal. Regardless, if you have more than 20% cover, your predator fish may not be able to keep the population of your forage fish in check and the forage fish will soon overtake your pond.

Given that guideline, brush has a number of benefits in a pond. The bacteria that break down brush generate beneficial enzymes which reduce phosphorous and nutrient levels and, in turn, the amount of 'muck' and (smelly) algae in the pond. Bacteria break down the sap (terpenes) of conifers such as pines and cedars much faster than the cellulose material. The decomposed sap produces isoprenoids and essential oils which are beneficial to micro-organisms and plants. I can't find any mention of toxic by-products for fish. However, an excess of brush (and by inference, bacteria) will lower the DO which is essential to maintaining healthy fish. On the flip side, aquatic plants generate DO and, of course, you can provide artificial aeration to increase the DO level as well.

So, if you have a lot of aquatic vegetation and/or an aeration system, then (in theory) you could use a larger percentage of brush over other types of cover. Regardless, I wouldn't add more than 20% of total cover to the pond. smile

If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.
- Doug Larson

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E

W
W
Flame, Ewest knows a considerable amount about cover and has the photos to prove it. There's also a note in the link below from Bob Lusk specifically talking about tannins from green wood causing the water to turn black. Very informative. smile

http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=6629#Post6629

If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.
- Doug Larson

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 11:01 AM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Freeze Danger? - Electric Diaphragm Pump
by esshup - 03/26/24 09:47 PM
Newly Uploaded Images