Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi, Lumberman1985, Bennettrand
18,500 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,961
Posts557,952
Members18,500
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,497
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,146
Who's Online Now
11 members (LeighAnn, Bobbss, Jambi, catscratch, jludwig, John Folchetti, shores41, Theo Gallus, Shorthose, phinfan, Zep), 1,132 guests, and 312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
Yo Fish - Talk about serendipity - I got a notification on my IPhone of your post literally while I was tossing the cast net for BG off the dock. cool

So, yes, I'm still using it, and yes I still like it - but it can be a tad trying at times. Here's some general feedback and tips:

1. Throwing a cast net is far easier when elevated from a boat or a dock. Further, it helps being North of 5'8" if you're using a 5' or larger cast net so the net doesn't drag which really impedes casting motion and deployment.

2. I learned the frustrating way via trial and error with a 5' net over several days. 5' isn't huge, but they make them smaller [3.5'; 4'; 4.5'; etc.]. I recommend starting with something 5' or smaller per Dave's suggestion.

3. Review online tutorials as they can teach you some great tips and help ease the learning curve. It never occurred to me to look online for tips until my bad habits were already fully ingrained - but encourage anyone learning to go there first.

4. I personally prefer nylon vs. mono nets. I think they are easier on fish and tangle less frequently. Also, think Douglas Net Company - I love their products thus far and they are far more affordable than other inferior brands I've tried.

5. The harder I throw, especially into the wind, the less my net deploys. I learned it's far more important to perfect the timing/motion of the throw than to muscle it. Casting into the wind can be a frustrating/fruitless enterprise at least for someone at my skill level.

6. I learned to never cast where larger fish may be cruising [deeper water under pellets]. I have accidentally caught a few large HSB and SMB and I had to cut them out of the nets so I didn't lose them. Extricating them would have taken too long - likely ended as morts or at least uber stressed. Cast net repair is rather tedious work - so I focus my casts in areas where my target size/species will likely be. I only use cast nets for FHM, GSH, and panfish [BG, RES].

7. Removing BH from cast nets is a slow and sometimes painful process. I now simply stomp them in the net then shake them out in the grass. They are far more docile that way.

8. Get your target species feeding on pellets prior to casting - you can increase your success exponentially than throwing into dead water and hoping.

9. Fish get wise to cast nets rather quickly - I agree they must see the net coming. Smaller fish are less experienced/wary so temper your expectations in smaller BOWs - especially if you're casting from the same position like on a dock. Don't expect 10" BG and RES in every cast. Following 10 casts I typically don't catch much else from the dock unless I wait 30+ minutes for things to mellow. Casting at dusk or night increases the take significantly per other's experiences in the thread.

10. Don't be afraid to cast into vegetation - many fish hold in shallow vegetation and depending on the species the cast net won't pick up much green on the retrieve. American Pondweed is a great example - holds lot's of fish and I often don't come back with a leaf.

11. I also enjoy using an umbrella net for collecting BG around the dock. I've used several brands and they rarely hold up [Frabil, et al] until I found Douglas Net Company. So far I'm super pleased with it's construction and integrity. I typically will catch 50-75 YOY BG per net every 2-3 minutes even without bait. Helps me feed my YOY SMB in the reproduction pond for free. I hear they're good for Crayfish, too.

http://www.douglasnets.com/product.php?productid=6&cat=0&page=1

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
A cast net is something to learn about before you get too damned old. I used to be able to throw a 10 ft. one. At 71, I'd be lucky to throw a 4 foot one. I've tried my 5 ft one but tacos are more usual that good throws. When you mess up, the fish scatter and the next toss is not productive.

Like a big trap, a snake in there is a character builder.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
F
F
Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1
A cast net is something to learn about before you get too damned old. I used to be able to throw a 10 ft. one. At 71, I'd be lucky to throw a 4 foot one. I've tried my 5 ft one but tacos are more usual that good throws. When you mess up, the fish scatter and the next toss is not productive.

Like a big trap, a snake in there is a character builder.

Ha, That gets me to wondering if I'll catch some snappers!

F
F
Thanks TJ for all that info.

Good point about 5' being big enough because of personal height. Didn't think about that. I was leaning towards an 8' because that info said if you go smaller the thrower tends to throw it to hard, but bigger than 8' was for professionals. I wonder how they toss them if they are taller than the thrower. Must be different techniques in gathering it up and throwing? I will look into the videos to try to find out more on it.

The cast nets on Douglas say they are a combination mono-nylon. You have a nylon only? Looks like they are discontinuing their cast nets with a close out sale.

You mention bigger fish being a problem. One of the main reasons I'm thinking about getting one is for Tilapia. I wonder if that is not a good idea with a cast net? Of course my intention is for harvest, but will they tear up the net and get to tangled?

Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
Yes, larger nets require bundling net over either shoulder I think - never tried it, looks challenging and loading the net takes a lot more time/effort it appears.

I have several cast nets, my favorite are Douglas the mono/nylon. If they are on sales I'd go for it.

Bigger fish are a problem to remove, meaning 20-24" HSB and bigger SMB I have no intention of harvesting. It's super stressful on them and not worth putting my net or them through the trauma if I have no intention of harvesting them. If your intention is harvest, I wouldn't worry about netting anything - given time you can remove anything from the net - it just might not be alive when you finally get it out if it's large and super tangled. Doubt your tilapia are big enough to cause any extraction issues anyhow - cast net might be perfect for that task.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
One thing I learned is that the cast net is dimensioned by the radius, not the diameter.

I still can't throw one!

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
G
Lunker
Lunker
G
Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57
Yes, larger nets require bundling net over either shoulder I think - never tried it, looks challenging and loading the net takes a lot more time/effort it appears.

I have several cast nets, my favorite are Douglas the mono/nylon. If they are on sales I'd go for it.

Bigger fish are a problem to remove, meaning 20-24" HSB and bigger SMB I have no intention of harvesting. It's super stressful on them and not worth putting my net or them through the trauma if I have no intention of harvesting them. If your intention is harvest, I wouldn't worry about netting anything - given time you can remove anything from the net - it just might not be alive when you finally get it out if it's large and super tangled. Doubt your tilapia are big enough to cause any extraction issues anyhow - cast net might be perfect for that task.

My one serious attempt with cast nets was a learning experience.
Brood pond stocked with CNBG and FHM stocked with fingerling HSB stocked following spring grew to 8 inches by fall.
OK - easy to harvest with cast net - right?
Bought a cast net and practiced on the grass but still an occsaionsl taco. Disappointed with my cast net skill I asked my long time Texoma striper guide buddy that used a cast net daily to help me out.

Long story short - chummed up the HSB with a handfull of feed and my guide buddy threw a perfect cast an caught 5 nice 8 inch HSB - 2nd cast 3 HSB 3rd cast ZERO - his comment "those suckers learn fast"!
Game over!

All of my harvest is by hook and line!
George

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cobra01, Dan123, micam5, Rich B, woodster
Recent Posts
Prayers needed
by Zep - 04/25/24 10:36 AM