Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
macman59, jm96, flowindustrial, ksueotto58, John Folchetti
18,480 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,944
Posts557,782
Members18,481
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,505
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,140
Who's Online Now
10 members (Augie, Bill Cody, Groundhog7, Sunil, gehajake, CentexSaj, catscratch, wps456, teehjaeh57, Shorthose), 886 guests, and 239 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
3z3k3l Offline OP
OP Offline
Yep,, the pond literally filled up to full pool in 24 hours...

I dug a little creek channel from the creek to the pond to get some run off..

It trickled at first, I was thinking it would take a couple weeks to get this going..

Not too bad after a couple hours...

Then the flood waters opened up...

I checked the next morning and the pond was filled to over full pool...

I guess its time to go fishing?

Very lucky this happened, literally built the pond last weekend and its full this weekend...
I see I am going to have to dam off the creek into the pond now to retain that run off water in there..and I think I need to raise the banks another 2-3 feet in case of a major storm..

You guys were right on the money...I won't have to worry about the pond being empty long...I really thought it would take a year to fill up..but this took just 24 hours..

Now I need some fish, ground cover, dock, plants and landscaping... can't wait...

3z3k3l, congrats on the quick water rise. We're still draining water off the pastures like crazy here too.

I would think you're gonna deal with turbidity issues for a while, so expect that. Once your construction settles down, and you get a good stand rye started, you can help eliminate the cause of that turbidity, and it should help keep the pond clearer. IMO, the timing of this rain/sleet/snow we got couldn't have hit at a better time for you.

Good luck, and keep the pics coming.

AL

L
L
Looks to me like you could crank up the pond size a bit ;-)

3z3k3l Offline OP
OP Offline
@liquidsquid - Yes...When the pond was full I was thinking...this things needs to be bigger...much bigger...haha but right now my budget is done for pond stuff for a while... although my neighbor has a huge bull dozer I may see if I can trade out some work for him to use it for a week or two..

@FireIsHot - What do I need to test the turbidity of the water? I was thinking of heading to Walmart for a ph test kit..is that all you need?
You're right about construction run off, until I get some grass and finish the area I think the pond will be muddy. I was thinking of trying to get some winter rye started..is it too late to plant? Right now is just muddy clay and no vegetation at all.
Any suggestions?

Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: 3z3k3l
@liquidsquid - Yes...When the pond was full I was thinking...this things needs to be bigger...much bigger...haha but right now my budget is done for pond stuff for a while... although my neighbor has a huge bull dozer I may see if I can trade out some work for him to use it for a week or two..

@FireIsHot - What do I need to test the turbidity of the water? I was thinking of heading to Walmart for a ph test kit..is that all you need?
You're right about construction run off, until I get some grass and finish the area I think the pond will be muddy. I was thinking of trying to get some winter rye started..is it too late to plant? Right now is just muddy clay and no vegetation at all.
Any suggestions?

You can test turbidity with the jar test. Pond water sitting in undisturbed jar for several days or weeks. If it settles out, your pond water will also once you have vegetation established and things settle down. If your water doesn't clear, you may have an ionic imbalance with which we can help with management methods [Alum, Gypsum, etc.].

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
Originally Posted By: 3z3k3l
Yep,, the pond literally filled up to full pool in 24 hours...

That is pretty crazy!...lol
Who'd a thought?
Dig a pond in drought ridden Texas & it fills in 24 hours!

Fishing has never been about the fish....

3z3k3l Offline OP
OP Offline
Yep...here are some more updated pics..

After the rain, some grass grew in but the turbidity of the water was bad...without grass the water was coffee brown...my kids wouldn't get in it...so decided to do some water dye...
Kids actually swim in it now...

As for the forage plan I currently have:
Stocked some BG and TFS early in the spring..and watched the bluegill spawn all summer...We also have a ton of crawfish naturally and Gambusia Minnows
No grass yet for the shrimp or snails...anyone have any recommendation on aquatic plants to plant?

We did have a major rain event...the whole pond flooded...I realize I am going to have to build up the banks in the back of the pond to do some flood control..I'd hate to lose my fish or gain new ones every time it floods..

I have already found that to be the case...I have found 1 largemouth, I have a school of baby catfish about 200-300 swarming the pond...not sure what type..(I hope it's not bullhead)... and I have green sunfish now...ughh...
None of the three did I stock, ha... oh well the joys of floodwater.. So I must have a momma catfish in there if there are a ton of babies...at some point gotta go fish them out but at this point I think they are here to stay...

But so far so good...

Also Phase 2 (bigger pond) is around the corner if the weather cooperates... I'll keep you guys updated as it's happening...very exciting..

Last edited by 3z3k3l; 10/21/15 03:12 PM.
If they're schooling then my guess is bullheads. LMB will chop them up.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Jenna
Recent Posts
How many channel cats in 1/5 acre pond?
by CentexSaj - 04/18/24 03:32 PM
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves
by Joe7328 - 04/18/24 12:48 PM
Hi there quick question on going forward
by Joe7328 - 04/18/24 11:49 AM
Chestnut other trees for wildlife