Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,116
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,420
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
5 members (RogersTailgate, anthropic, Brev, Dave Davidson1, jpsdad), 665 guests, and 210 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
You are very welcome - I'm eager to help Dale's family with the business, and happy helping my PB family. Please let us know how things work out for you - you're gonna love these critters - they are awesome!

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

C
C
Kudos to TJ for helping with this. I too got my shipment yesterday. Carol was great to deal with, sent me lots of good information about the lifecycle, eggs, habitat, hatching times, maturation times etc. Great communication, tracking numbers and the box arrived right on cue.

Nothing special is needed to acclimate them but I did give them some time in a bucket and slowly added pond water. They seemed to be happy so I put them in by my pallet structure. They headed for cover... A mix of larger and smaller ones, all active on arrival.

I have no predators except predatory bugs, water bugs? Hopefully some of the adults will get busy making babies soon.

I think I'm going to wait with my planned minnow stocking and see if I can allow the shrimp a head start. I'm told minnows will go after them if they don't have places to hide.

My kids were fascinated by the see through bodies and visible black eyes and 'spinal cord'.

I hope to order again!

Can they be used as bait on a tiny hook somehow? for what type of fish?

When I have more, will my kids find them in the shallows and will they be able to net them out? I imagine they would be fun to watch on an indoor aquarium as well.

Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
I'm from the deep south so my experience my be different...
I've caught just about any gamefish using grass shrimp we would "net" out of local bayous. Including, but not limited to: LMB, BG, RES, GS, warmouth bass, and garfish.

1 ac pond LMB, BG, RES, CC
M
MSC Offline
M
Canyoncreek, We have the saltwater kind here that we catch, they can't live in freshwater. But they are excellent bait for yellow and white perch. They are commonly sold in bait stores here.

Free expert fishing tips. Just call BR-549.
C
C
The ones I stocked are very tiny, mostly 'gelatinous' and not sure how it would stay on a hook.

This picture shows size (not a very good closeup). They also call it a 'glass shrimp' maybe a typo?

http://www.enviro-analysts.com/about.html

Some call them 'ghost shrimp' Certainly eery to find how see through they are smile

technical name: Palaemonetes kadiakensis

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
The females are the ones that get bigger, and top out at around 1.25". The males stay smaller. The females will get "berried". In about a month or so, you will see females with a glob of greenish brown eggs under her tail. You again see the females berried in late summer again. Grass shrimp make amazing bait for BG, RES, YP, crappies and just about any other panfish. I've caught bass over 4 pounds on them and catfish over 10. I've caught carp over 20 pounds on them. I simple slip flat set up and you're in business.

They do go by several common names. Grass, glass and ghost are all common names for them. There are several species of this type of shrimp in America. The one best suited to ponds are the PK shrimp though.

A
Online Content
A
I well remember using glass shrimp as bait on False River outside Baton Rouge, LA. Both coppernose and redear (we called them shellcracker) absolutely loved them! And yes, the occasional bass or catfish would eat them like candy, too.

They were sold in certain bait stores in Baton Rouge, typically in a container with damp mossy type material rather than in water. My dad remembers putting ice cubes at the bottom of a containers and then moss. The melting cubes kept the shrimp moist and cool even on the hottest days. He says the cool vapors rising from the ice seemed to keep the shrimp particularly lively.

I remember being puzzled at how an aquatic creature survived outside of water, but they did quite well.

Hope to begin building a pond soon in NE Texas. When I do, grass shrimp will definitely be on the list. They are fascinating and fun, especially for kids!

7ac 2015 CNBG RES FHM 2016 TP FLMB 2017 NLMB GSH L 2018 TP & 70 HSB PK 2019 TP RBT 2020 TFS TP 25 HSB 250 F1,L,RBT -206 2021 TFS TP GSH L,-312 2022 GSH TP CR TFS RBT -234, 2023 BG TP TFS NLMB, -160

M
MSC Offline
M
Yes when using the kind of grass shrimp we have for bait, they do better not in water. Sorta like crabs, keep them cool and damp but not in water. Wet marsh grass from where you caught them, in a small cooler works. Ice under a mesh screen is perfect.

You can put 2 or 3 on the same hook for bait also. I don't use them for bait in freshwater but I'm sure they would be great for BG's and RES. Come to think of it, I am going to catch some and try them on bedding BG's.

Free expert fishing tips. Just call BR-549.
S
S
Originally Posted By: joelleye
I got my PK shrimp today from Carol Fattig. All shrimp were alive and looking good. No photo's yet. It is sleeting and snowing here and 31 degrees. Hard to get to the ponds where I would like to release the shrimp so I put them in 50 gallon tank with pond water after equalizing the water temperatures. I have some 100 gallon tanks also so may try and grow out some of the shrimp in the tanks. Hope this current cold weather isn't to hard on them.

Mine are supposed to ship this Monday. I tarried a few days getting home from the last PBF get together in Texas and was not home so she held off the shipping date for me. Good to hear yours arrived in good shape.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
L
L
Can they ship to NY? Thought of collecting them myself, but don't want to introduce anything nasty into my pond.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Yes, they ship to NY. Where would you collect them from? They are not native to your part of NY...

S
S
Got the shrimp order Wednesday after lunch. Put the order of 400 in the <.1 (.065) mini forage pond.

Had grand plans of placing a few numerous places around the bank, save a few and put just a little in the big pond. Tempered the bag for about five minutes in the water. Took the rubber band off, and promptly dropped the open end.

Oh well, really intended for all of them in the forage pond anyway.

Checked on them the first night and also tonight. Surprisingly, they are not that hard to find around the shoreline. I found a couple dozen. Hopefully more are deeper or I just missed a bunch. The ones I saw seem to be doing fine.

Saw one 3" RES cruising around shallow. There are a few dozen FHM and probably about 40 2-3" RES in this pond. Been feeding the FHM twice a day in hopes they chow down on the pellets and not the PK shrimp. We will see.

This pond is about a foot above the main pond at full pool and overflows into the big pond. So hopefully if the PK shrimp do well either I can trap some and move to big pond, or maybe even with larger rain events some will naturally spill over into the other pond and get them started there.

But, just like the plan for placement of the PK shrimp from the bag................. the grand plans of men and mice. We will see how it goes.

Last edited by snrub; 05/09/14 12:48 AM.

John

J
J
Got my order and was shocked at the $128 shipping charge! Doubt I would have ordered had I known it would be that high!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Shipping live animals is very time sensitive and is never inexpensive. Plus they require special handling during shipment too.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
S
S
I kind of knew what to expect because had previously checked into having some tilipia shipped.

The shipping is definitely a problem. Be it delivery by FedX or be it by a truck that brings them to you. Costs a lot of money for labor and fuel to move time sensative stuff, cause it can't follow the normal shipping channels.

It would be nice to be able to always find a source locally for everything for pond stocking. Just not always the case.

If I can get mine established in my forage pond, it will be worth it. Then eventually if the numbers get big enough there, can transfer and get them established in the big pond. Otherwise they will be the most expensive fish food on a per pound basis I have ever bought. So I look at the ones I bought as breeder stock. A little different than someone buying them in a store for bait or pet food.

John

J
J
I was just under the assumption that the shipping went up from $35 to $50 this year and when I talked to Carol Fattige she said it would be $80. When the shrimp arrived my bill was $128 for shipping, so I think I was justifiably surprised. Guess it's water under the bridge now and I'm glad to have the shrimp. I posted so others who may be ordering won't get the same surprise I did.

Last edited by JamieE; 05/10/14 10:36 AM.
A
Online Content
A
Interesting article about how to find these shrimp in the wild and fish with them...

http://www.louisianasportsman.com/details.php?id=4253

I never heard of the corn meal trick, we just used ice cubes under damp moss or a screen.

7ac 2015 CNBG RES FHM 2016 TP FLMB 2017 NLMB GSH L 2018 TP & 70 HSB PK 2019 TP RBT 2020 TFS TP 25 HSB 250 F1,L,RBT -206 2021 TFS TP GSH L,-312 2022 GSH TP CR TFS RBT -234, 2023 BG TP TFS NLMB, -160

S
S
Decided to check and see if I still had any in my mini forage pond. Went out about 3 am. Found two. Netted one and saw one in about two inches of water, the latter one appeared to have eggs. Would have liked to have seen a lot more, but in all honesty I don't have very good habitat for them. Reading some of the thread from 2012, Cody says fine grass is the best and without good habitat they do not do well. I have mud and 2-3" limestone rocks, so not the habitat they need. I wish now they were in the main pond, because the FA there seems to harbor all kinds of critters and I wonder if the PK shrimp would have done better there.

At least I still have some alive, so maybe there is hope.

Oh, also as I was trapping half grown FHM out of the forage pond to put in my new sediment pond, I noticed there was a PK shrimp in the minnow trap. Let him go in the sediment pond. So maybe will get PK shrimp eventually established.

John

S
S
I must have more than I thought I had. Left minnow trap over night and along with the FHM were three more PK shrimp. So I assume they must like the feed. They were full size and seemed alive and well.

Putting out a crawdad trap tonight. The mesh is big enough they may be able to go through it, but if I bait it about sundown and go out in a couple hours, maybe some will still be in it.

I think a person could make a trap similar to a crawdad trap, only smaller with smaller opening and out of screen wire or very small mesh wire.

U-Tube video on catching and using grass shrimp for bait

Last edited by snrub; 08/30/14 07:36 PM.

John

Lunker
Lunker
Snrub,
The grass shrimp can and will stay hiden if they share the pond with predators(ie; RES). While grass is best, rocks will work also. Some uniodized salt and seashells (calcium) help as well.

Thought the shrimp and crawfish didn't survive in my 150gal rubber maid. Occassionally I'd find a pincher or tail shell. My big RES was spending hours cruising his tank nose down, while eating less and less of the delicasies tossed to him. When it came time to free him and clean the tank there were 200 - 300 grass shrimp and 100 - 200 crawfish, that I didn't know existed, hidden under 3 gallons of 3" rocks!! The water was 20" deep, clear, and I spent loads of time daily feeding, cleaning, rearranging, or just plain viewing the big boy in his tank. Don't be surprised if your shrimp are there, just hiding.

So, update us. The shrimp appear few, but are there. What about the other creatures in the pond?

Last edited by SoSauty; 09/01/14 03:00 PM.

Self-educated rednecks, the real intelligentsia.
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Grass shrimp are nocturnal and their eyes glow when hit by a beam of light. Shine a bright flashlight or spotlight in the shallows near cover at night...

S
S
Thanks guys for the info. Good to hear they will use rocks for cover.

When I get a little time will start a thread on this very small forage pond and give an update of its status with pics.

John

S
S
Here is the thread I promised of the forage pond.

snrub's mini forage pond with PK grass shrimp stocked in it.

Forage pond

John

S
S
Wanted to add links to this thread which has several links to other threads concerning grass shrimp. That way if anyone runs across this thread, they can find out more about PK or grass shrimp by following this link.

Catching wild Fresh water shrimp/ grass shrimp

John

C
C
Originally Posted By: joelleye
I got my PK shrimp today from Carol Fattig. All shrimp were alive and looking good. No photo's yet. It is sleeting and snowing here and 31 degrees. Hard to get to the ponds where I would like to release the shrimp so I put them in 50 gallon tank with pond water after equalizing the water temperatures. I have some 100 gallon tanks also so may try and grow out some of the shrimp in the tanks. Hope this current cold weather isn't to hard on them.

Joelleye, I'm really interested in how your shrimp are doing. Did you keep some in the 100 gallon tank? Did they do well inside in the tank? How about the ones in the pond? Do you ever see them? Where do you see them? Do you trap or capture them somehow? That always is a tough job and any tips is appreciated. Do you think they are self-sustaining or at least reproducing now?

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by jpsdad - 03/29/24 05:43 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by RogersTailgate - 03/29/24 05:36 AM
pond experience needed
by esshup - 03/29/24 12:45 AM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Newly Uploaded Images