Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,080
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
14 members (jludwig, Donatello, catscratch, DrLuke, esshup, Requa, Shorthose, Blestfarmpond, JasonInOhio, H20fwler, Theo Gallus, Justin W, LeighAnn, Bob Lusk), 844 guests, and 210 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline
I'm so pissed, mainly at myself for allowing it to happen, but things were going so well this morning with cool temps, fish feeding well and catching BG on the fly rod. Then changed to a different (sinking) fly and hooked this Snapper.

Here's a 1 minute clip of the Snapper, giving a good chomp at about 48 seconds in the video
http://youtu.be/68LF9d2_Vxc

I was just trying to get it close enough to the dock but while trying to navigate the 9' rod and a 30-40 lb(+?) Snapper on the other end, the third section of the fly rod snapped.

So now it's a trip back to Cabela's in hopes they will replace the rod or at least the third section.

So much for a long weekend of fly fishing cry

Keith - Still Lovin Livin

https://youtu.be/o-R41Rfx0k0
(a short video tribute to the PB members we met on our 5 week fishing adventure)

Formerly: 2ac LMB,HSB,BG,HBG,RES
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Damn! mad

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I learned a long time ago that landing nets are your friend when it comes to things on the end of the line that either
1) Weigh more than the breaking strength of the line 2) have things in their mouth that you don't want to get your fingers near or 3) flop around too much to make grabbing them with your hands difficult. (trout, large catfish, northern pike, walleye, turtles)

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
G
Lunker
Lunker
G
Originally Posted By: Lovnlivin
I'm so pissed, mainly at myself for allowing it to happen, but things were going so well this morning with cool temps, fish feeding well and catching BG on the fly rod. Then changed to a different (sinking) fly and hooked this Snapper.
So now it's a trip back to Cabela's in hopes they will replace the rod or at least the third section.

So much for a long weekend of fly fishing cry

OOPS!
Back to Cabelas - 10 year limited warranty?
G/

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)

OP Offline
Originally Posted By: esshup
I learned a long time ago that landing nets are your friend when it comes to things on the end of the line that either
1) Weigh more than the breaking strength of the line 2) have things in their mouth that you don't want to get your fingers near or 3) flop around too much to make grabbing them with your hands difficult. (trout, large catfish, northern pike, walleye, turtles)

Appreciate the tips, Scott and my landing net was nearby, but was of no use in this particular situation due to size, weight,,,,, fear,,,etc.

Crane with bucket would have been helpful wink

(a short video tribute to the PB members we met on our 5 week fishing adventure)

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
I've ruined a few perfectly good landing nets by attempting to scoop up a turtle. When they get that big, you need a hydraulic grapple! laugh

Y
Lunker
Lunker
Y
Originally Posted By: sprkplug
I've ruined a few perfectly good landing nets by attempting to scoop up a turtle. When they get that big, you need a hydraulic grapple!

Forget it, Sparkie.
I nearly bit on the Yeti cooler until I checked the price.
There's no way in heck I'm sending you a freakin' hydraulic grapple.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
You guys need to start catching bigger fish. That way you'll have to upgrade your landing nets too! wink grin

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Next time I get a snapper in the pond I know who to call. Wow you don't have to see the snapper to snag it!

Who you going to call?

Snapperbusters!

What do you charge? grin

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 08/30/14 07:11 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Cecil, I've got some 65# Power Pro braid here, I can tie on a small single strand wire leader and a #2 circle hook. A piece of chicken gizzard and tie it to something that the turtle won't drag into the pond. Leave it in the pond until the crawfish clean the hook or the turtle eats it.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
You guys need to start catching bigger fish. That way you'll have to upgrade your landing nets too! wink grin

It's not the weight of the turtle that does the damage, it's the bite force. What's your landing net woven from....aircraft cable? grin

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Cecil, I've got some 65# Power Pro braid here, I can tie on a small single strand wire leader and a #2 circle hook. A piece of chicken gizzard and tie it to something that the turtle won't drag into the pond. Leave it in the pond until the crawfish clean the hook or the turtle eats it.

I've doubled up on the steel leaders ever since I had a couple of 20 lb single leaders bitten in two. But, that was probably my fault for leaving the lines in overnight without checking them.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: sprkplug
It's not the weight of the turtle that does the damage, it's the bite force. What's your landing net woven from....aircraft cable? grin

Kevlar grin

I used to catch large softshells and the only way to get them in the boat or up on the pier was with a landing net.

I was using the blue nylon knotted ones (that's what the net bag was made from). I did have one where it wouldn't fit into the net and the hook caught on the netting as it bounced off of the frame of the net. Hook stayed with the net, turtle disappeared into the lake. That was a BIG softshell!!

Yeah, the single strand ones are prone to kinking, and if that happens, it'll break pretty quickly. But, you don't need to crimp them like you need to crimp sleeves on the multi-strand.

We used both for saltwater fishing - wahoo and sharks. The single strand worked better because it was thinner and harder for the fish to see.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

OP Offline
Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1
Next time I get a snapper in the pond I know who to call. Wow you don't have to see the snapper to snag it!

Cecil, this is the third snapper I've caught while fishing and yes, just from snagging and each time it's been on the front foot, or paw or whatever it's called. The first two were removed, weighing the second one at 22 lbs. And as much as I really don't like being close to them I'd love to know how much this one weighed.

Has to just be dumb luck because I can't seem to catch them any other way! And dumb luck seems to follow me quite closely,,, or maybe that's overstating the obvious crazy

Which is also why I no longer sit on the dock with my feet dangling in the water shocked

Last edited by Lovnlivin; 08/31/14 06:43 AM.

J
J
Smith and wesson 40 works real good for landing snappers.

F
F
My snappers must have dull teeth!! For the past month, I have been catching them on 20# mono. while trying for CC. I drag them along with the canoe to the shoreline and haven't lost one yet. I have been catching them often enough that they are becoming a real nuisance. I guess they don't get hook shy like CC!!!

OP Offline
Originally Posted By: fish n chips
I have been catching them often enough that they are becoming a real nuisance. I guess they don't get hook shy like CC!!!

How big have they been and what have you been using for bait?

Thanks!

F
F
My guess is between 15# to 30#, but haven't weighed any. You have me curious on that now and I might try to weigh a few. When I put the one into a full size trash can, the shell almost didn't sit down in the bottom.

I have been trying chicken livers for the CC, and the snappers REALLY like those. However, in trying worms or live/dead fish, they take those easy enough. I switched to the livers because I didn't want to gut hook any LMB with the worms, etc. I have been jug fishing with hook depths set from pond bottom up to 1' deep. As long as I check the lines within 12 hours I am OK, if longer the snapppers seems to break the line. When I do catch one, they almost always go to shore and bury themselves in so you can't see them. Don't try to pull them free with the line because you probably will break it. A paddle, stick, etc, till they are loosened up and floating/swimming.

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Originally Posted By: fish n chips

. When I do catch one, they almost always go to shore and bury themselves in so you can't see them.

My experiences also. A hooked turtle will go to shore and attempt to free itself. And they can get a LOT of leverage with those claws...if they're not hooked too deeply in the throat, they can pull or straighten a hook once they get a front paw on it.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by Donatello - 03/28/24 11:35 AM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 11:01 AM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Theo Gallus - 03/28/24 10:27 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Freeze Danger? - Electric Diaphragm Pump
by esshup - 03/26/24 09:47 PM
Newly Uploaded Images