Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,901
Posts557,097
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,415
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
11 members (Dylanfrely, Angler8689, Sunil, esshup, jpsdad, azteca, BillyE, H20fwler, FishinRod, Augie, PRCS), 713 guests, and 264 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#386226 08/29/14 08:06 AM
OP Offline
I was wondering if any of you have personal experience with backup generators? I've set a self-imposed budget of $1,000.

I've been looking at the dual fuel models because that's the fuel we currently have the most of, but we're not locked in to that. Winter's gonna bring power outages, and rarely is our power out for more than 3-4 hours.

Thanks

AL

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
I have 2, Al. They are both the same model with 15hp Honda GX390 clone engines. Portable gen sets are noisy! You can adapt a new-take-off rocket bike muffler onto them to eliminate exhaust noise, but the engine noise itself is just about as loud.

Mine are both 10KW peak with 8KW constant output. Mine will run the entire home, including central A/C, 26cu deep freeze, 28cu fridge, plasma TV/surround with a high end electrical filter that shuts down power if the electric feed gets dirty, spikes or drops only 2 volts...I have used my gen set many times, for hours/days at a time the past 4 years and only once did the power filter cut power due to surge/bad current feed.

Mine are also both gasoline, electric start (easy to manual start also) and reliable! Parts are cheap and readily available for the Honda clones (you just need to figure out the Honda model it's a copy of). I rarely fill my tank and run it dry after a month or so if it isn't reused so the fuel doesn't go stale. I Made a long extension cord to plug into the generator and back feed my home AFTER flipping off my main electrical breaker switch, by plugging into my 220V Dryer electrical outlet. I'd invest in an automatic feed/start switch, but just don't use the gen enough to justify the cost.

Mine was sold through Buffalo Tool's "Sportsman Tool Series" One unit is being modified to be installed on my new Live Haul truck as the main power source for AC electric needs...

I paid $549 6 years ago in a 14 day black out in the St Louis Metro area and $350 for a new return unit that cost me $25 for a NEW carb/shutoff solenoid to fix the fuel bowl leak...(Bowl gasket set was $19)

Last edited by Rainman; 08/29/14 08:31 AM.

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
I love the propane or natural gas units. No worries about carb issues like you get with liquid fueled versions, although gasoline IS convenient and usually easily obtainable.

I would recommend a unit with a Honda, Kawasaki, Or Briggs Vanguard engine if possible. Rainman is correct in that many oem Honda parts will fit the clone engines, but it's been my experience that it can be a pita to cross everything over, locate the part, and then hold your breath that it will fit.

As always, service after the sale is important....if you can find what you want from a local dealer, I would encourage you to purchase it there. I understand that sometimes that isn't feasible, however.

I use a generator intended for a motor home as my standby unit. They take great pains to keep them quiet, (so you don't disturb the neighbors parked right beside you), with many units being double wound so they will still produce current at 60 cycles per second, but at 1800 rpm rather than the 3600 that is more prevalent. Very quiet.

Whatever you get, institute an exercise program for the unit and stick to it. Running them every month will keep things operating smoothly, so when you need it, it's ready to go. Letting them sit without a regular schedule of operation will almost always guarantee frustration, most often at a time when you're in no mood for delays.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Amen to what sparky said! When it came to the carb I replaced, it just happened to be the exact same manufacture unit used on true Honda engine copied.

V
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
V
Al - been a long time. Hope you are well.

After many outages we bought a Generac XG8000E for around $1,100. I found the Honda's pretty expensive for the number of times I expect to use it - but we had a budget too. We also had to run a well pump which caused us to buy larger.

I wanted to share this important point, though, that you may already know. Back-feeding a panel is dangerous for linemen if you forget to turn off your main supply. Automatic switchgear is expensive. So, enter this awesome little interlock. Mounted on the panel, it won't allow you to turn on the generator supply without turning off the main. It was an inexpensive way for me to save a linemen's life. Best of luck Brother.

Interlock Kit

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker

OP Offline
All very good advice guys. My outdoor power shop is a certified Generac shop, so that's a big plus. I'll check all the others out soon.

So far, it's been interesting here since I posted the question. I burnt the beef tips and rice for dinner while I was talking on the phone with DD1, while at the same time trying to stalk a skunk who took up residence under the house and decided to come out in broad daylight.

Dinner's burnt, Dave's fine, skunk is dispatched.

AL

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
How's it smell around there now? A mixture of burnt rice/beef tips and Eue De Skunk?

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
OP Offline
It's been raining here all morning, so it smells like a wet mixture of burnt rice/beef tips and Eue De Skunk. Not appealing at all.

AL

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Did you say....raining??

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
OP Offline
Yep, nice little shower. No runoff, but the lawn and pastures got a good soaking. More supposed to come tomorrow.

AL

OP Offline
This was a tougher decision than I thought it would be. After advice given here (thanks so much), and internet info, I decided to go with either the duel fuel Sportsman Series like Rex has, or a Generac 7,500 Watt gasoline only model.

The bottom line was no generator at my price point was going to do everything I wanted. So we decided to buy a generator that could keep the freezers and refrigerators going for a day or two, and spend a little extra money to get the house wired properly. We've got a great electrician, and Victor's post about the interlock kit pretty much sealed the deal. If we pull the trigger on a whole house generator down the road, we should have all the electrical stuff ready to go. Besides, any portable generator we buy now can always be used around the farm if needed.

Thanks again guys.

Last edited by FireIsHot; 08/31/14 12:25 PM.

AL

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Good decision. I'd at least opt for the dual fuel.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by Sunil - 03/28/24 05:33 PM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by jpsdad - 03/28/24 04:51 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by BillyE - 03/28/24 04:35 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
Alum vs Bentonite/Lathanum for Phosphorus Removal?
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 04:23 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by ewest - 03/28/24 03:37 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass