Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,113
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,417
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
9 members (anthropic, Boondoggle, Fishingadventure, phinfan, jpsdad, Brett B, catscratch, jbird5986, Freg), 644 guests, and 171 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
esshup #367304 02/25/14 06:55 AM
G
george1 Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
G
Originally Posted By: esshup
[quote=george1][quote=esshup]You can practice roll casting in your back yard.
I stand corrected! This makes thing #2 that I learned today! Thanks George.

Not really a correction Scott, maybe a useful tip for a beginner, depending upon the fly caster skill level. Backyard grass just doesn’t create the tension on the fly line that water applies that “loads” the rod.
Very useful cast.
Best,
George

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)

george1 #367309 02/25/14 08:40 AM
C
Lunker
Lunker
C
I do have a "cement pond" back there but don't want to get hung up in the wires.

It's true hard work never killed anybody, but I figure, why take the chance?
Ronald Reagan

george1 #367380 02/26/14 07:00 AM
Cisco, I start every practice by casting my fly rod horizontal to the ground for a few minutes. This does several things. 1) It stays under my power lines. 2) It's an easy visual if I'm breaking my wrists and opening up the loop. As the line falls, I can easily see if I have a tight or open loop. 3) I think, "pass a plate" this gives me a mental picture and helps keep me from rolling my wrist over during the cast. 4) It's much easier to see if I'm keeping my fly rod tip moving on a straighter line.

It's kind of hard to explain, but just a few minutes each practice gets me started correctly.

With the weather we've been having, a flatter cast really helps the fly line stay under the wind.

AL

george1 #367419 02/26/14 01:12 PM
C
Lunker
Lunker
C
Thanks Al, I'll give that a shot. I'm going over to get some professional training this weekend if the weather holds.

Ronald Reagan

Cisco #367449 02/26/14 05:57 PM
Originally Posted By: Cisco
Thanks Al, I'll give that a shot. I'm going over to get some professional training this weekend if the weather holds.

Great! Educated eyes really speed things up. George trained me, and what I thought I was doing was not necessarily what I actually was doing.

With his help, I've learned to hit the water almost every time now. laugh

AL

george1 #367795 03/03/14 02:45 PM
G
george1 Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
G

george1 #367799 03/03/14 03:06 PM
G
george1 Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
G
Originally Posted By: george1
Originally Posted By: esshup
[quote=george1][quote=esshup]You can practice roll casting in your back yard.
I stand corrected! This makes thing #2 that I learned today! Thanks George.

Not really a correction Scott, maybe a useful tip for a beginner, depending upon the fly caster skill level. Backyard grass just doesn’t create the tension on the fly line that water applies that “loads” the rod.
Very useful cast.
Best,
George

Scott, you may find this you tube helpful for the roll cast.
I use more of a Lefty Kreh side arm presentation but this style is popular.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eSKa6Pt3R0

G/

george1 #367812 03/03/14 05:29 PM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Thanks George! That helps.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
george1 #367823 03/03/14 07:43 PM
C
Lunker
Lunker
C
Yes sir, I actually watched those videos late last week then went out back to the cement pond and practiced some. The videos are a big help as I did cast "pretty" good but I still need some hands on instruction. I can almost "shoot" the line. I can cast the length of the pool that is about 40 ft. I can see how the roll cast works now that I tried it and I can see why some people I've talked to compared it to golf. Starts to get addicting. But I don't golf either! YET! Nope, golfing is not for me. Now I need to figure what to do IF I catch something(besides me)

Ronald Reagan

george1 #367871 03/04/14 12:50 PM
C
CMM Offline
C
Cisco,

I have always believed that golf is for people that don't know how to fish smile

CMM

CMM

george1 #369142 03/17/14 10:08 AM
V
Fingerling
Fingerling
V
Here's a little something to maybe give this thread a little boost again...

Had one of our first spring-like days Saturday with temps up around the 70 degree mark and coincidentally took a ride to Bass Pro Shops in Ashland so kid #1 could pick out a new flyrod for his birthday. He settled on a TFO Lefty Kreh Pro Special, 8'6" 4 piece 5wt. We had to check it out 'cause it was on sale for half price. Later I did a little research and discovered they've discontinued this model, but who cares it's a sweet rod and still comes with the lifetime no-fault warrenty. Then we paired it up with an inexpensive reel and some WF line. The 5wt may be a little light for LMB, but he also wanted it for panfish and trout.

So here it is, 1st fish on a flyrod from the pond this year. Right before dark he caught several HBG and this BG using a weighted nymph and a renegade fished wet with no weight.

When I edited this pic, I cut his head off on purpose 'cause he was in mid-blink and it looked like he'd been smoking one of them left-handed cigarettes laugh

george1 #369153 03/17/14 11:37 AM
G
george1 Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
G
CONRATULATIONS!
TFO Lefty Kreh Pro Special, 8'6" 4 piece 5wt - a very good fly rod at a VERY good price.
I have one just like it except 9 footerl

The new model changes are mostly cosmetic except new tech stripping guides.
My original stripping guides are titanium which I like very much.
Nice fish!
George

george1 #379690 06/15/14 06:24 AM
G
george1 Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
G
This is a really good thread about fly lines, leaders and tippets.
Don't miss it....
http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=379686&page=1

S
S
A week ago finally bit the bullet and bought one of the White River $100 fly rod combo kits (9' 5 wt), at my wifes urging to get off the fence and just do it. Also bought a few "store bought" flies. Fished with it a little and caught a few fish. So far, so good.

Salesman at Bass Pro was a nice guy to talk to and seemed to know a lot about fly fishing. Mentioned they were having classes on using a fly rod and also fly tying. I had mentioned to my wife that tying flies might be right down her alley. She does all kinds of crafts including beading, knitting, spinning, making jewelery, and I don't know what all else. So she signed us both up for the free fly rod casting class and herself for the free fly tying class. Both 2 hour classes were well worth the time (bout a two hour drive for us to get to the store).

Well she tied 4 flies while in the class and we came home with three parts to a kit for fly tying. So far she is working on the 7th fly for the day, and mentions "this is addictive". So looks like I will no longer have to worry about buying store bought flies.

Looks like we are both into fly fishing, in one fashion or another.

Last edited by snrub; 08/23/14 10:35 PM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Look on-line. There are some really, really realistic looking flies being made!! (I think they are made mostly for the competitions tho) https://www.flyfishingpoint.net/en/artic...ampionship-2013

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
G
george1 Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
G
Originally Posted By: snrub
A week ago finally bit the bullet and bought one of the White River $100 fly rod combo kits (9' 5 wt), at my wifes urging to get off the fence and just do it. Also bought a few "store bought" flies. Fished with it a little and caught a few fish. So far, so good.

Salesman at Bass Pro was a nice guy to talk to and seemed to know a lot about fly fishing. Mentioned they were having classes on using a fly rod and also fly tying. I had mentioned to my wife that tying flies might be right down her alley. She does all kinds of crafts including beading, knitting, spinning, making jewelery, and I don't know what all else. So she signed us both up for the free fly rod casting class and herself for the free fly tying class. Both 2 hour classes were well worth the time (bout a two hour drive for us to get to the store).

Well she tied 4 flies while in the class and we came home with three parts to a kit for fly tying. So far she is working on the 7th fly for the day, and mentions "this is addictive". So looks like I will no longer have to worry about buying store bought flies.

Looks like we are both into fly fishing, in one fashion or another.

Snrub, CONGRATULATIONS to you and your Lady – fly tying is opening the door to fly fishing - it’s an addiction.
To catch a fish on your own hand tied fly is really fun.
Start simple and don’t spend a lot of money on materials until determining what patterns you like that work for fish targeted.
Craft store and fabric stores are good sources for materials as well as beauty supply for wig hair.
Fly shops and big box stores for specialty items.
Don’t forget roadkill..
I have tons of links for fly tying sources.

Ask questions - there are fly tyers on the forum.
Thanks for your post,
George

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
That's the exact same rod and reel I bought form the BPS. I like it for a start up combo! Works for me just fine! I have had a blast with it! You have sooooooo much more flexability as to what you can cast with a fly rod! The more I use the more I like it!

RC

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
S
S
I saw that in your post above and was happy to see you were pleased with it.

Now if only these hundred degree temps and wind would stay away, I could get some more use out of it.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
george1 #386273 08/29/14 06:22 PM
I have a habit of treating myself to an early birthday present so since I was close and they were having a good sale on what I hope is a good combo, a trip to Cabela's was in order and luckily they had 1 left! It's Cabela's RLS+ Fly Combo, 9' 6wt, 4pc.

The "fly guy" at Cabela's was very knowledgeable, has his own fly tying business, guide service, knows all the greats, and written a book (and so much more he offered to share) wink . So, I asked him to set me up with some flies for BG, LMB and HSB, which is what you see pictured.

Needless to say I'm a bit stoked and just waiting for it to stop raining. And hopefully I'll have a picture to post of my first catch on my (own) new fly rod!

grin grin grin grin

Keith - Still Lovin Livin

https://youtu.be/o-R41Rfx0k0
(a short video tribute to the PB members we met on our 5 week fishing adventure)

Formerly: 2ac LMB,HSB,BG,HBG,RES
george1 #386278 08/29/14 08:26 PM
I got about an hour in before I got dumped on and took several casts before the first hit, then ended up with 9 total before the rain hit again.

The first 3 caught were BG, HBG(?) and surprisingly a RES!

What a blast!!!!

I first tried the curly tail on the jig head as shown in the upper right of my previous post but found it very difficult to cast due to the weight of the jig head. And had the same trouble with the wooly bugger. Instead of casting the line I felt like I was casting the fly and it was definitely a struggle! But the bumble bee popper (much lighter) was much easier and it's what I caught all the fish on.

Any suggestions or tips when using the heavier flies?
I'm also struggling with getting much distance. It seems the more line I let out, the more it loads up(?) yet I'm trying real hard to not go forward or back until the fly/fly line has fully extended.

Maybe it's just a matter of more practice, but thanks in advance for any help!

Keith

Last edited by Lovnlivin; 08/29/14 08:27 PM.

(a short video tribute to the PB members we met on our 5 week fishing adventure)

D
D
Originally Posted By: Lovnlivin
I got about an hour in before I got dumped on and took several casts before the first hit, then ended up with 9 total before the rain hit again.

The first 3 caught were BG, HBG(?) and surprisingly a RES!

What a blast!!!!

I first tried the curly tail on the jig head as shown in the upper right of my previous post but found it very difficult to cast due to the weight of the jig head. And had the same trouble with the wooly bugger. Instead of casting the line I felt like I was casting the fly and it was definitely a struggle! But the bumble bee popper (much lighter) was much easier and it's what I caught all the fish on.

I'm also struggling with getting much distance. It seems the more line I let out, the more it loads up(?) yet I'm trying real hard to not go forward or back until the fly/fly line has fully extended.

Keith

Heavier fly, more practice will help. Another thing is when throwing weighted flies use shorter leaders and tippets. On the gear side of things a heavier rod (8wt) makes casting weighted or larger flies easier. The reason fies are weighted is to get them to sink. Duh!! Another solution to getting the fly to sink is to use a sink tip with an unweighted fly. A sink tip is basically a heavy leader that goes on the end of the fly line and the tippet/leader goes on the end of the sink tip. Sink tips come in different lengths and different sinking rates.

G
george1 Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
G

Keith

Keith, Cabela's RLS+ Fly Combo, 9' 6wt, 4pc. really a nice combo rig – CONGRATULATIONS on fly combo – nice fly selection as well!
Maybe a faster action than a beginner rig but not sure - a friend of mine just bought a 5 wt but haven’t cast it.
Kirk’s suggestions are well taken – fly rods are like golf clubs – hard to play a round of golf with one club, so as you go forward a heavier fly rod will be needed for tossing big bass bugs. Also his thoughts on sink tips, integrated sinkers etc are good info.

But that stuff will come in time, so have fun with your new found “addiction” with your smaller panfish flies.
If the RLS+ is a fast action as I believe it to be, I would “up-line” it with an 8wt floating line – as you know, you are casting the fly line and not the fly – an 8 wt fly line has a heavier “belly” and I believe will handle your larger/heavier flies.

Just my thoughts with early morning fuzzy brain – need another cup of coffee.
Have fun with this stuff and don’t let it get complicated.
George

george1 #386294 08/30/14 06:46 AM
Dirk and George, thank you both so much for the great info!

The fly rod my cousin taught me on and left with me for a while I'm guessing was 8' 6" and possibly 8wt since I had no troubles at all with casting heavier flies so that certainly makes sense. And with struggling with just the wooly bugger, I can't imagine trying that jitterbug looking fly!

And I too am still fuzzy-brained and on my first cup of coffee so as I soak all of that in, can you also address the issue of not being able to get much distance, even on the lighter flies?

Yet maybe that too is just a matter of needing more practice, and maybe without a fly tied on?

Thanks again!

Keith

PS - It's 7am and feeding time so I'm off for more 'practice'

Last edited by Lovnlivin; 08/30/14 06:56 AM.

G
george1 Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
G
Keith, I wouldn’t worry about distance right down – focus on fundamentals and practice on your pond, or as I practice do, “on the grass” in my back yard. When fundamentals and line management is achieved, a “double haul” will increase your distance and handle windy conditions.
You are doing well – keep up the good work!
George

george1 #386324 08/30/14 02:36 PM
Thanks, George!

I at least got a little more practice in this morning, until,,,,,,

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by jpsdad - 03/28/24 09:45 PM
pond experience needed
by jbird5986 - 03/28/24 09:39 PM
Alum vs Bentonite/Lathanum for Phosphorus Removal?
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:28 PM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails