Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Mcarver, araudy, Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi
18,502 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,963
Posts557,993
Members18,503
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,538
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
5 members (Freunb02, anthropic, Fishingadventure, bmicek, KenHorton), 1,180 guests, and 214 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
D
OP Offline
D
I have just recently bought a 100 acre farm and am planning on building a pond. The topo map shows a stream, but it must only be there when it rains.

My objective initially is a general purpose pond: swimming, fishing, wildlife. Those plans may evolve.

In general would it be good to place the pond near this seasonal stream.

I imagine I will have to drill a well to fill the pond and was also wondering if it reasonable to think a small windmill could pump water from a well and aeriate as well?

I don't know too much detail about the soil yet, but will find out more once the snow melts.

Thanks for any help/Doug

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Doug, I think the first step is, of course, the soil quality. Next consideration would be how much water the creek gets when 'seasonal' occurs. Talk to neighbors but also look at trees, etc. around the stream for flood debris. That should tell you something about the amount of water to expect. Using a well to fill a water hole is dependent on the size of the hole and how much well water you can pump. Windmills look good in the Mother Earth News magazine but are seldom dependable as either an aeration power source or as a high output water source. I think the first step would be the neighbors; then local dirt movers and well drillers. Oh, yeah, another consideration is the amount of silt and debris that the stream carries. Most beaver dams on creeks, at least in Texas, are notorious about silting up for awhile before they wash out.

G
G
Doug, it may sound strange for Texas pond owners to respond to your Canadian questions, but the site selection process may not be that much different. We are presently in the process of building a forage pond, downstream from our two acre, two-year-old pond. In fact the dozer is running as we speak.

Dave is right on with his comments about consulting with neighbors and dirt contractors, and especially observing conditions of your present stream.

Not knowing size and budget constraints for your pond, if any, the topo map is the place to start.”Walk out” your property, observing elevation changes and soil types across entire area. With 100 acres to work with, your options should be excellent to choose the right site, providing drainage area and soil conditions are adequate. I would strongly consider utilizing existing streams or “ditches” before even thinking about wells or windmills.

Our soil condition in our N.E.Texas area is ideal for ponds, but our major concern is century old oak trees that we will not put at risk by heavy equipment, or flooding. Our site was selected to drain into the main stream, even though we had to clear standing timber and underbrush.

Hope this helps,
George Glazener

D
OP Offline
D
Thanks for your replys. As with any recreational project, I think the excitement sometimes puts pressure on the planning. I doubt I will do anything this upcomming summer and take the time to really get the lay of the land.

On the topo, the stream appears to start on my property. So I imagine that it is the smallest here as well.

How feasable is a pond supplied from 100 acres +/- of rain runoff. The property is just north of Lake Ontario, 90 minutes east of Toronto. Not particularily wet or dry. My thoughts regarding the windmill were that, although its not perfect some aeriation and some fresh water should keep the pond fairly healthy. I also like eliminating dependancy on electricity.

Thanks/Doug

W
Lunker
Lunker
W
You are starting out right by doing your homework, search the archives here, plenty of hands on experience to gain and avoid the headaches later. Check these links for local Gov't agencies. Good luck with your pond and stick around. [URL=# http://www.lrconline.com/Extension_Notes_English/pdf/pnds.pdf ]landowner resource Ontario[/URL] [URL=# http://www.fish-habitat.com/waw/english/dfoe9.html ]dfo Ontario[/URL]

D
OP Offline
D
Wood,

I just wanted to say that I read your post on how to use photobucket.com, for posting pictures. That has been a great help.
I also tried out your satalite photo link. Seems the availability out west is better than here in Ontario. Toronto shows up, but once you get 50km out of the city the hight resolution stuff really stops.
Anyway, thanks for the great links./Doug

M
M
Hi Doug,

All of the previous information are very good. One thing that may dictate the pond potential for you is listed in the following link from the ministry of natural ressources of Ontario. http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/mnr/forests/extension_notes/pdf/pnds.pdf
You might be aware of that document?
Here in Quebec, we cannot touch any brook even dry ones, its better to get advice from a representative from the MNR around where you live to get the proper permit instead of waiting to find that the excavation was illegal...
We always test the soil composition and the water table levels before proceeding. It may tell you what you need to know and if a liner is needed. We have been succesful building ponds in dry gravel beds with GCL (geosynthetic clay liner) membrane. Easy to use and it works better than plastic membrane in a rough excavation project.

Also, windmills are good for aeration if you have a windy area. Imagine a hot summer week where most nights are still and quiet, you would not get much aeration. Electric and wind aeration can be installed together also. We have recently started to install Superior Windmills and their Turbo-Jet-Stream model will generate 3,0 cfm of air with winds of 9 mph (15kmh). Which is in fact twice the amount of air generated with a regular windmill.

Regards / Mario

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bobbss, dap, Gearhead, gman5298, hidden pastures
Recent Posts
Concrete pond construction
by esshup - 04/27/24 07:04 PM
Caught a couple nice bass lately...
by nvcdl - 04/27/24 03:56 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Fishingadventure - 04/27/24 01:11 PM
1/2 Acre Pond Build