Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,113
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,417
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
9 members (anthropic, Boondoggle, Fishingadventure, phinfan, jpsdad, Brett B, catscratch, jbird5986, Freg), 644 guests, and 171 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline
So I am currently draining/lowering my pond to do some work in the shallow areas and on the damn to repair 30+ years of errosion/and sediment before restocking it. So I am trying to educate myself better on how/what/when to restock and what structure is most useful to LMB,BG,RES, and CC as all of these things will be much easier to place and make sure they are set right on dry dirt instead of underwater.

My pond renovation thread here
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I think the reason why this hasn't been answered is because there is no one "best" book.

There's a number of good books out there, all with varying levels of detail, from basic to graduate study level. You can go from a basic pond management paperback that's 85 pages to a hardcover 450 pg. small impoundment management book.

Look in the archives for the structure/cover thread and all the related links. That will give you a good idea on cover for the fish. What to stock all depends on your goals for the pond, and how you will utilize it.

People who want swimming ponds will have different fish than people who want large LMB and don't care about the size of the panfish.

"Perfect Pond ..... Want One" is a good basic book to have in the library. Available thru the Pond Boss on-line store. But, for the most up to date information, that's here on the forum.

Many people that are here on the forum don't realize the dollar value of the information that this forum provides at no cost. (donations are accepted!) People can hop on here and get information that is worth thousands and thousands of dollars if they were to get the same info. from hiring a professional pond manager.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Perfect Pond is good. I also like Raising Trophy Bass by Lusk. Although an entry level book, I still refer to it.

The most comprehensive I've seen is Small Impoundment Management in North America by Wes Neal and Dave Willis. It's the most comprehensive textbook I've seen and is at University level. You name it and it's in there.

The best thing about the books is that they answer questions that you don't know enough to ask.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1
Perfect Pond is good. I also like Raising Trophy Bass by Lusk. Although an entry level book, I still refer to it.

The most comprehensive I've seen is Small Impoundment Management in North America by Wes Neal and Dave Willis. It's the most comprehensive textbook I've seen and is at University level. You name it and it's in there.

The best thing about the books is that they answer questions that you don't know enough to ask.

Dave, I just bought a used copy of "Introduction to Wildlife and Fisheries" by Dr. Willis. Lot's of great info, and "Small Impoundment Management in North America" is probably my next purchase.

AL

C
C
I did a quick google search for "Small Impoundment Management in North America" and found the following link:

http://web.fisheries.org/proofs/sim/SIM_Complete.pdf

Interesting reading...

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Scott is right CarpNter that is the best single source I know of in book form. This Forum is very good and the archives have a lot of sources noted.

OP Offline
Originally Posted By: esshup
I think the reason why this hasn't been answered is because there is no one "best" book.

Agreed, poor wording on my part for sure!

I am really looking for recomendations for books more at the beginner level per say. I have been reading a lot on here but I am currently in the process of draining my pond to do some work on it. So I am trying to get a game plan together on what to do for structure and restocking after I am done with reshaping as well as some ideas on if I should make the pond have any irregular contours or anything on the bottom before the time is here.

Also any books specifically better for a well balanced pond with BG, LMB, & CC (might put some RES in to) located in the midwest? I am most interested in nice LMB & BG the CC wont be many in number and more of a novelty than anything.

My pond renovation thread here

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by jpsdad - 03/28/24 09:45 PM
pond experience needed
by jbird5986 - 03/28/24 09:39 PM
Alum vs Bentonite/Lathanum for Phosphorus Removal?
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:28 PM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails