Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,116
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,420
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
2 members (Dave Davidson1, jpsdad), 719 guests, and 204 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#385233 08/17/14 11:12 PM
K
OP Offline
K
I am brand new to pond ownership! I'm looking forward to the possibilities with this small pond. It's about 1/3 acre in area. I am going to close on the property next month and I'd like to get a head start on managing the pond. Right now there is no aeration system. From what I've heard from guys I work with that have ponds of their own, aeration keeps the pond from stagnating and becoming basically toxic. There are no fish in the pond and no liner. The current owner dug the pond about 8 years ago. He uses rain water from his home downspouts which run through PVC underground and into the pond and also has an outlet on the lower ground side which allows excess water to run out if the level would get too high. The pond has a max depth of about 12 feet and a very gradual taper. I would guess average depth is between 4-5 feet. The pond looks like the water has fairly good water color/quality. They also have aquatic plants on the deep side which they told me helps to filter the water. I am wondering if the current set up with water coming into the pond when it rains would be sufficient to maintain a good quality water and/or able to sustain a small bluegill/perch/bass population for recreational fishing with my kids and some swimming. There are a pair of ducks that have taken up residency on the pond. I'm sure there's more info you might need to give advice but any/all is much appreciated!

T
T
I'll chime in as an owner of pond, but I'm no expert. What I've learned from buying our home with 2 acre pond, is that ponds go through many phases. Some years it's clear, sometimes you have algae, sometimes you have weed and plant blooms, etc. I have absolutely no idea why either.

Ponds with geothermal tubing in them you don't aerate the same way you do ponds without those setups.

You can use Roundup to kill cattails and lily pads

You can use copper sulfate to kill algae (most types)

You can aerate but it probably won't do what you think it will, especially if you don't have lots of fish or tons of plants.

Knowing what I know now, I'd probably put in aeration, but I'd also probably start adding muck eating bacteria too. If you can stay ahead of the pond curve you'll be way ahead in the long term.

Ponds are expensive, you will HAVE to spend the money on them. It's better to stay out ahead of them and have a clean pond you can enjoy instead of one with crap growing in it that you're constantly trying to control. You WILL have to spend the money either way, do it early. You'll probably have to spend a lot more time and money if you wait.

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Welcome to the forum Kurt! Aeration (done right) is almost always a benefit, especially in a small pond. Take some time to find out for sure if any fish are in the pond....put out some traps, watch the water, fish it with a worm and very small hook....I doubt there are no fish at all. Ducks/geese are poop machines that can cause algae issues from excessive nutrients...you'll have to decide if you want them around in time.

Read the forum! Search topics that come to mind. Buy Bob Lusk's book, Perfect Pond, Want One? It will help you form some goals and what can and can't be done easily.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Welcome Kurt. Good advice so far, keep askin ?s and do lots of research. I have a 1/4 acre pond about 10 or 11' deep with a two diffuser system. I run it for about 4 hrs early every morning June-Oct. and when needed in the winter. I am sure it saved lots if not all of my fish last winter when we had snow cover for better than two months straight. Also two summers ago when it was 90+ for many days. I have YP WE and SMB that don't get along well with warm water. Be sure to research what fish to stock. LMB and YP ain't gonna turn out so well. Good luck and the Packers rock!!!

Do nature a favor, spay/neuter your pets and any weird friends or relatives.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Timinator
You can use Roundup to kill cattails and lily pads

Not legally. The label is the law. Roundup is not labeled for use in or around ponds. What you do with your own pond is up to you, but as a licensed applicator, if we are caught doing that our butts would be in trouble big time!

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
G
Lunker
Lunker
G
Scott, am I going to jail being a long time Roundup user?
Excellent results on cattail and willows but just spray tops and not the water.
What I do on my own pond is my business... wink
G/

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
George, PM being sent.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
G
Lunker
Lunker
G
I know - we don't want you to go to jail! laugh

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)

K
OP Offline
K
Thanks for the advice guys! I really would like to mainly stock BG because they are fun and easy to catch and delicious eating. Would it be beneficial to stock any other species for forage and/or predators?

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
If you use BG then use LMbass. If you want yellow perch then use smallmouth bass, walleye, or hybrid striped bass as predator.

For weeds sticking above the water use Shore-Klear Plus available in quarts often at Rural King or online.

For other problems just ask your questions. Always double check the info here that your friends have told you.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 08/19/14 10:49 AM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/29/24 01:06 AM
pond experience needed
by esshup - 03/29/24 12:45 AM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails