Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Mcarver, araudy, Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi
18,502 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,963
Posts557,988
Members18,503
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,537
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
3 members (catscratch, Boondoggle, Steve Clubb), 933 guests, and 260 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#385291 08/18/14 01:37 PM
P
OP Offline
P
I have been a offshore charter captain( retired) for a long time and have a way to process any kind of fish, fresh or saltwater. First we add lots of ice, then add enough water to make a slush. Then add enough salt to make it very salty. This will drop the water temp around 32 deg. Chunk the fish in alive as you catch them. This will set up hyperthermia in the fish causing the blood in the fish to go into the organs and out of the flesh,death is quick and after awhile when you clean them all the blood will be in the innards not the meat, causing better tasting fish, this method is used by commercial folks on tuna that will be sushi grade.... Try it and good eating

Pat

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Dang Pat, thanks. That is a great tip. I used to do the same with Crappy to keep the flesh firm.

Do nature a favor, spay/neuter your pets and any weird friends or relatives.
Bob-O #385297 08/18/14 02:18 PM
P
OP Offline
P
Bob, I'm 62 years old and dangit why sit on something that makes all the Dif in the world how Fisk will taste... Never been one to keep stuff to myself . I've been doin it for years and it really works

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Pat, I'm 63 and winter in Fl. If ya ever get to the good side of the gulf, let me know. Bet we could exchange lots of good secrets and probably some good lies.

Bob-O #385302 08/18/14 02:37 PM
P
OP Offline
P
Bob
I know that is for sure and probably would have a time doin it, I know we have seen a lot of cool things in the gulf that people prolly wouldn't believe . Good fissen

Pat

Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Im a fan of this cooler method. Firms the meat for easier filleting too.

If you ain't gonna fart, why eat the beans?
RES,HBG,YP,HSB,SMB,CC,and FHM. .seasonal trout.
S
S
Thanks for the tip. Might have to try that.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Proper handling after the catch, storing until cleaning, cleaning, and storing after the cleaning are so very important for good tasting fish. There are few fish that are not delicious when properly cared for.

We had a church pastor who brought some autistic/ADD/ADHD kids, and some of their parents and grandparents to our ponds this past Saturday and Sunday evenings.

One of the grandparents asked how long I'd been fishing and how often we eat fish. I told her that it goes back to before I was born - looking out my mother's belly button at a bobber! We joked about it, but I told her I could never remember a time in my life when I wasn't fishing or eating fish. I'm 66, quickly heading 67. My wife and I eat fish about twice a week. We have many recipes. Our recipes range from the equivalent of steak or pork chops (fillets or steaks), to McNuggets (beer-battered fish chunks), to hamburgers (fish patties using crab cake recipes), to soups/stews (our favorite is fish poached for 8-minutes in homemade tomato/jalapeno/onion salsa), and smoked fish (think jerky).

As one of the kids caught a 3 lb. channel cat we had our first lesson in preparing a fish for dinner. We threw it in a cooler of ice and water in the back of my UTV. I explained why I was doing what I did, starting with it being humane way for the fish to die in peace. We got several other catfish, a few eating size LMB, and some nice HBG and BG from the two ponds.

When it got too dark to fish anymore, we took the iced cooler of fish to my cleaning station. It is a sink at the edge of the woods, down hill from the house. By then, the fish were all dead, or at least comatose. All watched as I filleted and skinned them. We went through anatomy and identification lessons. We examined the skeletons, gills, and heads of each type of fish. We looked at the air bladder, intestines, stomach, liver, and heart. One of the catfish hearts was still pumping. We found good sized pariah sunfish (offspring of my HBG) in some of the catfish stomachs. We mostly found fish food pellets in the stomachs and intestines.

The rinsed, skinned, and boneless fillets went back in the cooler of refreshed ice water. We took the cooler into my "game kitchen" where we half filled the large stainless sink with at least five gallons of water, and then added about a cup of kosher salt (non-iodined is OK too), and a bunch of ice cubes. Wew stirred it up and let it sit for a while as they played pin ball.

The bluegill and LMB fillets went straight into the sink. The channel catfish fillets were cut down the lateral line, and the dark red meat was carefully sliced out from the top and bottom halves. It can be very strong tasting due to the heavy concentration of blood. Soaking in saltwater helps take out the remainder of the blood.

The catfish bellys were skinned inside and outside. They are like lobster.

The fish were divided up and put into zip lock bags filled with water and about a teaspoon of kosher salt. All the air and bubbles were squeezed out of each bag.

Everyone went home with sealed bags of fish in water. All were told they could keep the fish for a day or two in the bags before preparing them for dinner. If not, they should be frozen. They will retain their freshness for several months. Freezing them in a water bath without any air prevents freezer burn and drying. When thawed, they are hard to distinguish from fresh fish.

All species are a little different. There are only a few kinds of fish that aren't good, either because of bones, or very strange tastes. Saltwater fish, like puffers, need special attention because there are parts of them that can cause poisoning. But, most everything else can make a pretty tasty meal.

Last week my wife and I enjoyed a number of different kinds of ocean fish we caught when we were at the beach. Bluefish, speckled trout, flounder, croaker, etc. By themselves they are good. Mixed with fresh caught shrimp (head still on), clams, etc., they sure are hard to beat in a low country boil.

Ken

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
S
S
We have friends that live in Slovakia on the river between Slovakia and Hungary (Danube). Right on the river in a floating house. When talk got around to fishing and eating fish I ask if they ate a lot of fish and what kind. There were mostly catfish and carp caught. I ask them if they ate the carp. "Oh yes, very delicious". A lot of Asians also eat carp. Yet around here they are considered a trash fish, mostly left on the bank by anglers.

Wife pressure cooked carp once, and the results were very similar to canned white Tuna. Carp Salad sandwiches were hard to tell apart from Tuna Fish Salad sandwiches.

Not going anywhere particular with this post, other than to say that it is interesting to see the different cultures that eat foods that others wouldn't touch.

Personally, I'll go for the Hogfish (Bocaneti in Mexico) when it comes to ocean fish.

Last edited by snrub; 08/18/14 10:55 PM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
snrub #385348 08/18/14 10:42 PM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ken:

Remember the waxed paper milk cartons? My grandmother ALWAYS froze her fish in water, in those cartons.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
P
OP Offline
P
Esshup they laugh but it still works today! Sometimes the old ways ain't so bad at all

Pat

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Neat posts guys. Pat, thanks for getting it started.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: esshup
Ken:

Remember the waxed paper milk cartons? My grandmother ALWAYS froze her fish in water, in those cartons.

Yes. When I was a kid we also froze our fish that way.

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
I guess the next time I get some larger catfish and some 2-4lb range I will video my cleaning method. Quick, no blood, no guts.

Forced to work born to Fish
P
OP Offline
P
40 years on the gulf and you're bound to pick up a few things that work... I also have a way to filet the fish where you get all the meat and no bones and never cut into the guts or ribs or skin... Even works on catfish...

Pat

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Pat, is it similar to how a Tuna is filleted into 4 fillets?

Now, getting on to taste, My #1 and #2 preferred fish is Wahoo followed by Bluefin Tuna. Both cooked fresh, not after they are frozen. I think freezing changes the taste/texture.

Bluefin is almost like steak.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
C
C
Could someone please start a new thread on best ways to fillet fish? This would be SO helpful.

I've heard some have worked out new ways to filet bluegill with little waste and no bones. I'm sure everyone has their techniques, probably a description is good but a video is better.

Then Bass, LMB, SMB, is this different than stripers, wipers, or HSB or are they the same?

Then we would need one for catfish, one for walleye

I hear pike are a different beast to filet but not sure how many people eat pike.

I think I would enjoy KEEPING fish much more if i felt like I could do justice to fileting them and not butcher everything into a mess. because I tend to feel like i'm wasting the fish, I tend to throw them back more. If I had a good filet technique and a good batter/prep my wife might even warm up to serving fish more.

Thanks in advance!

P
OP Offline
P
Canyon

It has taken me many years to perfect fileting of fish . I have a method that leaves just a boneless ,skinless peace of fish it is a little slower than just hacking away but gets the max fish. I will try to write it down where it can be understood. In the meantime a sharp thin blade is a starting place. My fishing buds now filet the way I do

Pat

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Are there any good You Tube videos of fileting fish?

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
P
OP Offline
P
Esshup

There is only one fish that even in the same room with fresh tuna... Crappie... Even then it is distant... Fileting is basically fine surgery you have to have a sharp knife

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
I found a couple of good films of filleting Stringrays on Utube. Have'nt been able ta get one yet tho. Rumored to taste like Scallops (YUMMY) Any experience with em Pat?

Bob-O #385452 08/19/14 10:30 PM
P
OP Offline
P
Bob
I've heard that same thing before, I tried one once and it close to...... Shoe leather...
So I haven't tried another. Maybe mine was having a bad hair day . Te he

Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Tuna...
Mahi
Yellow Perch

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

P
OP Offline
P
Tuna
Wahoo
Mahi
The rest we can argue about

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Fresh winter bluegill
Fresh summer bluegill
Bluegill that's been refrigerated
Everything else is good, just not great like bluegill.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Recent Posts
YP Growth: Height vs. Length
by Snipe - 04/26/24 10:32 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by esshup - 04/26/24 10:00 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by esshup - 04/26/24 09:48 PM
Non Iodized Stock Salt
by jmartin - 04/26/24 08:26 PM
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves
by Bill Cody - 04/26/24 07:24 PM
Happy Birthday Sparkplug!