Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Mcarver, araudy, Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi
18,502 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,962
Posts557,975
Members18,503
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,148
Who's Online Now
7 members (Sunil, catscratch, jludwig, sprkplug, canyoncreek, gehajake, STG), 1,146 guests, and 335 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#384063 08/02/14 08:49 PM
J
OP Offline
J
I have read a lot of information on LMB harvesting lately and I think I u derstand it pretty well. But there doesn't seem to be much on BG harvest. What are some general rules of thumb on BG harvest?

Lets start with two examples often found in Texas. Both would be 10 acre ponds but with different goals.

Lets say example #1 was stocked and managed for trophy LMB. It has good water quality and is fed and furtilized. The stocking was a 30-1 ratio and its a 3-4 year old BOW. What would be a good base line to start when it comes to BG harvest, as far as pounds per acre? Do you even care about the condition of the BG or just use the condition of the LMB WR and recruitment to dictate BG harvest?

Example #2 would be the same size and conditions, but managed for a balanced fishery stocked at a 10-1 ratio of LMB and BG. How many pounds per acre would be a good start here?

Any and all inforamtion regarding BG or CNBG harvested from ponds and the goals of said strategy would be appreciated.

Thank you

James, IMO if the CNBG are just for forage, then the LMB should handle the harvest. In either scenario, 30-1 or 10-1, I would still provide adequate cover for the CNBG. One thing you would want is for them to continue to have large enough numbers of good sized CNBG for continued spawning, and not get wiped out by hungry young LMB. 10-14" LMB are eating machines, and can get a pond out of whack in a few years if their numbers are not controlled..

I also think a balanced 10-1 pond could also be referred to as a recreational pond. There is a point when the overstocked forage can make it much harder to catch LMB. I've personally only seen 2 ponds that kept the fun aspect of fishing for oversized LMB intact. One was Bruce Condello's pond, and the other is a completely unmanaged 35 acre pond that my buddy has. They both are forage rich, but the LMB remain catchable.

I have a 1/2 acre pond that I'm trying the 30-1 scenario on. The female only LMB should be brutes right now. I say should, because the only problem is I can't get them to hit a hook. LMB usually hit a lure because of hunger, bed defense, or reaction. A 30-1 stocking scenario removes one of those options.

AL

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
And stocking only females removes another option. wink

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
J
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted By: FireIsHot
James, IMO if the CNBG are just for forage, then the LMB should handle the harvest. In either scenario, 30-1 or 10-1, I would still provide adequate cover for the CNBG. One thing you would want is for them to continue to have large enough numbers of good sized CNBG for continued spawning, and not get wiped out by hungry young LMB. 10-14" LMB are eating machines, and can get a pond out of whack in a few years if their numbers are not controlled..

I also think a balanced 10-1 pond could also be referred to as a recreational pond. There is a point when the overstocked forage can make it much harder to catch LMB. I've personally only seen 2 ponds that kept the fun aspect of fishing for oversized LMB intact. One was Bruce Condello's pond, and the other is a completely unmanaged 35 acre pond that my buddy has. They both are forage rich, but the LMB remain catchable.

I have a 1/2 acre pond that I'm trying the 30-1 scenario on. The female only LMB should be brutes right now. I say should, because the only problem is I can't get them to hit a hook. LMB usually hit a lure because of hunger, bed defense, or reaction. A 30-1 stocking scenario removes one of those options.

Im only 1 1/2 hours away. Want me to come show you how to catch em?
If I dont catch a fish they sprouted legs and walked off. laugh

Allen,
Are you going to take that? LOL!!!!!

Brian

The one thing is the one thing
A dry fly catches no fish
Try not to be THAT 10%
Brian, there's nothing to take. I guess I should dust off the old Zebco's and try harder.

AL

J
OP Offline
J
Its all in good fun buddy.

Oh, no problem for sure.

AL

S
Lunker
Lunker
S
No BG harvest is needed in either of these 2 situations. The LMB will do all the harvesting. A 30 to 1 ratio is approaching the norm these days. We are stocking 40 to 1 ratios in lakes where the goal is Trophy LMB.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
In addition to the above comments keep in mind that a variety of other factors come into play. Water quality , natural fertility, harvest and natural morts. That is why "it depends" is an often used comment here.

In the south using a 10/1 ratio with fertile water (natural or fertilized) and sup feeding you can keep balance for years if done correctly provided you have no major problems (increased morts - via fish kill , otters , cormorants , etc. ,over harvest , poor year class (bad spawn), drought).

Using a 30/1 ratio and the same situation you should be able to raise some trophies again depending on circumstances.

In short you have to match harvest with natural morts (predation mostly)and your conditions. A good guide is to not harvest lots of your biggest BG but harvest medium sized ones as long as you have lots of forage.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Once carrying capacity is reached and original bass have spawned abt 3-4yrs and the YOY bass are thriving, consider removing 5-10 adult bluegill for every pound of bass harvested in the general balance fishing pond. It is easy for some ponds to produce too many fish that tend toward smaller sizes over time - crowding. Wise, well monitored harvest reduces the standing crop and allows remaining fish to have more natural foods and they continue growing well. Supplemental feeding increases the average standing crop (production) which allows for more harvest.

In good habitat LMB often are too productive (prolific) and perform too much harvest (consumption) outpacing the forage crop. Monitoring numbers and sizes of forage (panfish) and predator are important parts of good pond management. Harvest can be adjusted to skew the population in terms of numbers and sizes.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 08/11/14 09:19 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Prolific is certainly right in warmer weather ponds.

James, the "average" Texas pond is what we call bass heavy. The catch and release and too small to keep mantras have gotten those ponds out of balance when you figure the predator/prey ratio. Add to that the tendency for fish to become hook shy. In essence, we wind up loving our bass to the point that they lose weight and body condition.

I've recommended that pond owners eliminate small bass but really concentrate on the forage base, environment and water quality. Too many bass eliminate small bluegills and other forage/prey to the point where they never get large enough to feed mid size and larger predators.

Just keep culling bass and raising BG.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
G
Lunker
Lunker
G
Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1

Just keep culling bass and raising BG.

Man of few words -classic!
G/

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays