Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,080
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
6 members (Justin W, DenaTroyer, Freg, Donatello, jludwig, catscratch), 759 guests, and 182 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
G
GaryS Offline OP
OP Offline
G
This is my first post here.
I have a site that I am considering building a 1 acre pond. It is in an area of a 10 acre woods and will be surrounded by trees. I have cleared the area of smaller vegetation and will remove the remaining large trees (10-12 trees). My question is, would building inside of this woods cause me problems with leaves building up residue in my pond? The site is ideal with a nice drainage area feeding it and a nice location.
Thanks in advance for your response.

F
F
First off, welcome to the forum.

The short answer to your question is yes. However, each of us has to decide what we want aesthetically. If you clear the trees back far enough from the pond's edge, then that helps a lot. The other thing is the trees will block some of the wind getting to your pond, and that can reduce some 02 levels and the water gets more stagnant. I personally like the look of trees and water, and my pond has a mix of it, and I live with the side effects.

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Our ponds were built by damming ravines, and they are surrounded by trees. Certainly there is a lot of organic material that finds its way to the pond bottom every fall, but after 40 years they still haven't caused any serious issues that I am aware of.

On the other hand, my efforts to try and improve things over the last 5 years have resulted in more than a few dead fish.

Do you envision it being possible to rake out some of the leaves when they are blown to one side of the pond? I know some folks do.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
G
GaryS Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Thanks guys for the replies. The idea of removing the leaves as they blow to one end would sure be doable.

G
GaryS Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Back again with another question. The 10-15 trees I need to remove are pretty big. I would like to have them cut down and sold (along with some others in the woods), but was wondering if this would make it more difficult for the guys that will eventually do the excavating to remove the stumps. Do you think this will be a problem, or is this something that they routinely deal with?

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Some guys like the trunk remaining to give them some added leverage for pushing them over. If they simply dig the stumps out, it probably wouldn't be an issue.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Are there saw mills in your area? they can suggest good, selective cut loggers for you. If there are not enough trees to make them (and you) money, they won't come out to your site, unless you pay them. A dozer can take down a large tree in seconds, as sparky said, using the leverage and weight of the tree. Often, a dozer cannot even budge a stump and needs a backhoe or other digger to get it out, at much more time/expense.

ie...a $200 tree may cost you $300 to remove the stump....

V
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
V
Welcome Gary. You have found a great place where many people come together and share vast amounts of knowledge for little more than friendship, laughter and to better mother earth. If you don't subscribe to the magazine, please do. It is a great one.

We have a guy around here with a mobile sawmill. If you think you may ever want to build something on your own and want you own wood - this may be an option. It would be neat to say that this item or that item came from the wood removed from the site. We used ours to heat the house for several seasons. I removed all of the trees prior to pond build, but we only did a small pond in very rocky soil. Our excavator had no problem pulling stumps. He used a track loader, which isn't ideal for ponds but it was a unique site. I am unsure how a dozer would have fared.

Welcome again!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
We cleared 7 acres for a 5 ac pond site, clean as a whistle. Lusk diplomatically pointed out to me shortly thereafter that removing all the veg may have been a questionable decision since it costs time/money and leaving stumps & trunks is excellent natural habitat for fish. Looking back now, some 8 years later, I have no regrets. We got what I wanted: a beautiful body of water. The fish thing was a far second place in that decision.
Regarding leaves, there is NO way we could even begin to think about trying to collect or control it. It is what it is....they were what we thought they were. When weather fronts come in during the fall and we get the gusts on either the front end, or the reverse gust on the back end, you ought'a see the leaf ticker-tape parade blowing out, all across the pond.
Regarding affecting the efficiency of tree stump removal, my dirt guy used a track hoe and a High track D6. In both cases, they would typically cut the root ball on each side, then push it over. The track hoe had the advantage of being able to cut the root ball in the front, too. That helped him, too. When I mentioned that I might have a lumber company harvest the biggies, he reminded me that removing the remaining stumps will be additional time/labor because he will be unable to push them over and pop 'em outta the ground.
pond clearing album #1

Pond clearing album #2

Lunker
Lunker
I had the pond builder push over the trees and I harvested the wood after they where down. Worked well aspect I had to be quick getting the logs out of the way. I cut and dried them on site for 2 years and then had them milled into wood flooring. The wood flooring is installed in the house I built on site.

Last edited by lassig; 08/01/14 03:12 PM.

I
I
I have a unique opportunity in eastern Oklahoma on Lake Eufaula.I've inherited appx 33 acres of lakefront property and wish to use about 5 acres for pond(s) and need some input about how many ponds?What kind of fish?Can bluecats be farm raised?As I understand it,this area would be too cold for Talipia.The water board has granted me permission to pump lakewater and I have a 66 water temp well.This all must be planned within the next month to ensure funds from class action suit(Keepseagle)I am an Indian Farmer which doesn't prevent me in investing some of these funds-370 mil-in other people's dreams.My farm is located about 3 miles east of Checotah(US 69)where I -40 crosses east shore of Lake Eufaula.Any ideas appreciated.Any deals-construction,furnishing stock,establishing either solar or wind driven pump etc.Land is appx 150 ft above lake.Also will need a filter used before returning water to lake.johndson2626@yahoo.com

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Welcome to the forum!

Whoo Whee! Not much time for planning. O.K. First some goals. What are your goals for each pond? Think of short term (1 year) and long term (5+ years). What do you want to use the ponds for? What types of fish do you like? Want one pond for a kids fishing pond where they see lots of action? Want a put-n-take type of fishery where the fish don't reproduce (or don't reproduce much)?

Yes, Blue Catfish can be farm raised, it all depends on how large you want to get them and how fast.

66°F water is warm enough to overwinter Blue Tilapia. They will survive water temps in the lower 50's, but not thrive at that temp.

You can grow some pretty large fish in a small pond if you supplementally feed pellets, have good water quality and aerate. Small ponds (under 1 acre) are easier and less expensive to manage than one large pond.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
J
J
GaryS I wish I had known about Pond Boss 20 years ago when I built my pond. I live in an 8 1/2 acre woods with, I have been told by lumber buyers, I have 250 years oak trees, and I really wanted to build my pond in my woods. A man from the DNR came out and said not to build in my woods but found a place 700 foot from my house in a corn field so I put my pond there and then planted thousands of trees which make a woods today around my pond. So what would you rather have 250 year old trees or 20 year old trees to look at.

It's pretty but could have been so much better.

G
GaryS Offline OP
OP Offline
G
The trees in the pond area have been cut down by the log cutters (I hired a consulting forestor and sold the lumber) and I have cleaned up the leftover tops. It turns out that most of the trees were ash and were infected with EAB and on the way out. I have included a first pass drawing of the contour and habitat of the pond and would like feedback on things I may be overlooking or anything I may need to think of. In my drawing you can see the pond will be surrounded by woods. It will be about 1 acre in size

R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
I spent most of today clearing invasives from my next pond site in the woods. I will not cut down the trees until I am sure that I have the money to have the pond constructed.

B
B
Our pond is smack dab in the midst of the woods. When I see the snaps of the flatland ponds on farms - I get it, and a pond is miles ahead of no pond, but I much prefer the woods around our pond.

Kids enjoying playing hide and seek, the wild things love the cover, forage, and water.

Our layout makes bringing in heavy equipment pretty near financially prohibitive (helicopter is an option). But the trees and nature just make all the hours of elbow grease labor worth it.

Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
basslover that is quite the picturesque setting

Fishing has never been about the fish....

B
B
Originally Posted By: Zep
basslover that is quite the picturesque setting

Thanks, Zep! We are nestled in the middle of many, many acres of hard and soft woods and this land really is quite scenic. There are always critters afoot out here.

Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
Originally Posted By: basslover
We are nestled in the middle of many, many acres of hard and soft woods and this land really is quite scenic.

basslover....what state are you in?

Fishing has never been about the fish....

B
B
Originally Posted By: Zep
basslover....what state are you in?

The devil went down to Georgia!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by Donatello - 03/28/24 11:35 AM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 11:01 AM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Theo Gallus - 03/28/24 10:27 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Freeze Danger? - Electric Diaphragm Pump
by esshup - 03/26/24 09:47 PM
Newly Uploaded Images