Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Kanon M, KWL, Homestead 101, Willy Wonka, gautprod
18,494 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,956
Posts557,909
Members18,494
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,531
ewest 21,493
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,145
Who's Online Now
3 members (catscratch, victortechy, Dave Davidson1), 544 guests, and 175 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
H
OP Offline
H
Last Wednesday we sunk 2 super sacks of AquaBlok Pond Seal in a suspected leaky area of the pond. The fish (BG + LMB) disappeared, and I haven't seen one since. Not even a minnow. Now these fish are spoiled by hand feeding, and I swear they hear me coming as they'll be waiting on me when I get to our feeding spot. They're just completely MIA since the Pond Seal was added. Additional 411, the bentonite made the water look like aqua milk. (Hasn't settle out at all, assume that it eventually will???) But it should be no different to the fish than the occasional "muddifying" that can happen after a gully washer, correct?

how big is the pond? I guess it'd be possible to suspend enough particulate in the water to make oxygenation difficult depending on volume?

Dale

[Linked Image from i90.photobucket.com]

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water." - anonymous
P
P
Probably just the change in clarity and color of the water. A heavy rain will throw most of mine off feed for a few days. I never used the product but I would think it would settle out soon.

H
OP Offline
H
Update on the AquaBlok experience: As noted above, it made the previously clear water opaque. It is just now starting to clear/settle, so minimum two weeks for clearing. Some vegetation die-off, too, so have to keep that cleaned up. Some of the fish decided to show themselves a couple of days ago. I kept expecting them to show themselves as *floaters*, so was very happy to finally see them in our regular spot.

As for the performance of the AquaBlok, it has definitely slowed down the seep, regardless that it didn't get distributed as carefully as I intended (husband fell extremely ill the day the AB was delivered; a neighbor kindly helped me get it in the pond -beggars can't be TOO bossy...) I'm saying it would work fantastic with proper application.

Now, if only we could get something approaching normal rainfall amounts. Yep, another man-made drought year here in the Ohio R. valley of Indiana. Growing weary of fighting this year after year.

T
T
Originally Posted By: heartlander
Update on the AquaBlok experience: As noted above, it made the previously clear water opaque. It is just now starting to clear/settle, so minimum two weeks for clearing. Some vegetation die-off, too, so have to keep that cleaned up. Some of the fish decided to show themselves a couple of days ago. I kept expecting them to show themselves as *floaters*, so was very happy to finally see them in our regular spot.

As for the performance of the AquaBlok, it has definitely slowed down the seep, regardless that it didn't get distributed as carefully as I intended (husband fell extremely ill the day the AB was delivered; a neighbor kindly helped me get it in the pond -beggars can't be TOO bossy...) I'm saying it would work fantastic with proper application.

Now, if only we could get something approaching normal rainfall amounts. Yep, another man-made drought year here in the Ohio R. valley of Indiana. Growing weary of fighting this year after year.

What did you all do to man make your drought? Some of us are wondering how we man made all this rain.

I just got a new pond, I made it twice because I aint so bright.
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
This has been one of the wettest summers in recent memory in my part of the Ohio River valley.....one of the coolest also. Got another 2" early this morning. That brings July to almost 5" total. Unheard of.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
P
P
Originally Posted By: sprkplug
This has been one of the wettest summers in recent memory in my part of the Ohio River valley.....one of the coolest also. Got another 2" early this morning. That brings July to almost 5" total. Unheard of.

Same here in Illinois. Been trying to let my small pond dry up after pumping it dry so it can be dug out. Normally this time of year it would be no problem. Seems every week or so we get a downpour that puts a foot or more of water in the bottom and I have to pump it out again.

Last edited by poppy65; 07/27/14 10:03 PM.
H
OP Offline
H
Originally Posted By: timshufflin

What did you all do to man make your drought? Some of us are wondering how we man made all this rain.

Howdy Tim. Whether flood or drought, "we" don't make it; it's made for us these days. Do a search for weather modification and geoengineering.

H
OP Offline
H
Originally Posted By: sprkplug

Hi sprkplug. Here, a quick quad ride from the river, we'd had exactly 3" of rain since the end of May. As you can imagine things are crunchy, and ponds hereabouts are suffering. Our pond is down so much I'm actually getting worried about the fish; if something doesn't give soon, I'll have to move them.

Yesterday (Sunday) we finally got 1 7/10", but it was a like a drop on a hot skillet. Has been this way 4 out of the last 5 years.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Same here. "crunchy"

Warsaw, 30 miles East had almost 2" this weekend. Couple weeks ago Knox which is 15 miles south had 4". We've had none of that here. This weekend large drops made divots in the dust. I've lost about 7" from evaporation alone, but since the farmers kicked on the center pivots, the pond had dropped almost 24". I can run the well into the pond (25 gpm) and it will only bring the pond up 1/2" in a 24 hr period. Roughly 18 gallons leak out for every 7 that stay in.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
T
T
Originally Posted By: heartlander
Originally Posted By: timshufflin

Howdy Tim. Whether flood or drought, "we" don't make it; it's made for us these days. Do a search for weather modification and geoengineering.

I'm so confused. It's always made for us I thought. God just drizzles where God drizzles.

I just got a new pond, I made it twice because I aint so bright.
D
D
2.5" overnight Sat night in Lawrence Co. Overflow pipe had a bit of flow, so I took the opportunity to open the drain to get some water off the bottom.

The new grass on the dam is a bit stressed, but the weeds on it are green. Leaving all the weeds but ragweed for now, just for soil containment.

No crunchies. odd how it varies across the state eh?

L
L
We had a wild ride today of 3" in a relatively short period of time. Can't wait to see the mud bowl again this year. This kind of rain this time of year is rare for us.

Doesn't help my neighbor thought it was a good time to dig out his ditch in the pouring rain which leads into my pond. Grrr. My wife said it looked like thick chocolate milk going in. I assume he was rescuing washouts in his driveway.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
island_beam
Recent Posts
Horizontal vs Vertical (big bass)?
by catscratch - 04/23/24 05:34 AM
Happy Birthday Theo!
by teehjaeh57 - 04/23/24 12:35 AM
Happy Birthday Sparkplug!
by teehjaeh57 - 04/23/24 12:34 AM
American Feeder H 125 Fish Feeder
by teehjaeh57 - 04/23/24 12:33 AM