Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,059
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,407
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
19 members (FishinRod, Justin W, Augie, bstone261, jpsdad, emactxag, Ron crismon, Dave Davidson1, Saratznj, Donatello, Layne, Freg, Sunil, tws3, rjackson, jludwig, Shorthose, DenaTroyer, Theo Gallus), 694 guests, and 160 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#383224 07/24/14 07:32 PM
J
jakeb Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
J
Hello all, I know I shouldn't even be fishing in this hot weather but I cant help myself. I went out today in the heat of the day and fished deep and found the big girls. But also as my punishment I gill hooked a 5 lb 12oz prize bass and she died. (Bill I will report length/gape in the mouth thread, 20.25 inch and 3.5 inch gape inside to inside.)

I was using a medium to large size crankbait and the fish was so large she just inhaled the bait and got a treble in each gill. Is there anything I can do to stop this? I have a pretty flexible cranking rod, and reel that is very low geared. I don't know if the slow retrieve and bend of the rod allow the fish to take the bait better?

Then once I gave up on saving the fish I continued to fish with the same bait and a 4+ lb fish also inhaled it and got a minor gill hook. I immediately got the hook out and let the fish go, she swam off but did bleed some. Who knows she may not make it either.

Any suggestions? just retire that particular crank? use smaller hooks? Also I guess I cut the fish lose with the crank in its mouth/gill? and hope she spits out on own?

It may just be that the bigger fish are able to inhale it so well that there is not much I can do?

Any help would be appreciated.

Get out and fish.
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Here are a few of my thoughts on this topic. Other experienced big bass anglers will have thoughts about this.
1. It always makes me sad to see a deep hooked fish. Big bummer. I kick my self when this happens to me. I don't think many deep hooked fish survive, especially if they are bleeding. Swim away yes,,, survive 2 weeks not likely, even though you never see it floating. Often turtles and crayfish will attack a weak and struggling fish and keep it down before it is fully dead.

2. To help reduce your problem try using larger lures. Another thing I have seen done is remove one of the trebles. Be aware this may change the action of the lure. Compare and check lure action before and after.

3. My general rule is the warmer the water the easier a fish will die due to angling stress. This is because the fish during the 'fight' develops a large oxygen deficit (high lactic acid content) in the muscles which is why the fish tires. Lactic acid needs to be processed out of the muscles and this takes time and large amounts of oxygen in the blood. Less oxygen is present in water the warmer the water gets. Thus it is harder for fish to put high amounts of oxygen into the blood if lower amounts of oxygen are present in the water. Angling during the warmest water days of the year is risky, especially if you put a high value on your fish.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 07/24/14 08:00 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Try changing out the treble hooks for single hooks. See if the bait action is the same. You could also bend down the barb on the hook (s).

You could also do like George1 does when fishing in warm weather. He has a fish first aid revival station. It's a rubbermaid tote, water, a micropore diffuser and an Oxygen cylinder. He places the fish in the highly ocygenated water to revive.

That's all I got.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
G
Lunker
Lunker
G
I hate to kill a fish, especially gut/gill hooked fish!
Caught a nice HSB last week on a single barbless hook and it went belly up - dumb me - didn't have my O2 live well Scott spoke about earlier. I worked her back and forth and she swam away but likely died from stress as Bill Cody mentioned.
100 degree daytime temps forecast for today - fishing season closed!
G/

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
George, just a thought here. Is there any way you can bring the O2 livewell to the Pond Boss Conference to show the people that attend? I'm sure they would be interested. You ARE coming, right?

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
G
Lunker
Lunker
G
Originally Posted By: esshup
George, just a thought here. Is there any way you can bring the O2 live well to the Pond Boss Conference to show the people that attend? I'm sure they would be interested. You ARE coming, right?

Scott, I'll get the O2 system to you for PB Conference "show and tell" - it's a good inexpensive piece of equipment.

I am having trouble with feasibility of spending $300 bucks for PB Conference ticket for strictly social purpose since I am not into pond management any more - just writing the checks. grin
G/

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: george1
Scott, I'll get the O2 system to you for PB Conference "show and tell" - it's a good inexpensive piece of equipment.

I am having trouble with feasibility of spending $300 bucks for PB Conference ticket for strictly social purpose since I am not into pond management any more - just writing the checks. grin
G/

O.K. let me ask you this then. How much have you spent over the years on vacations or visiting friends where it's mostly a "social" visit? wink No need to answer, I just wanted to give you food for thought.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

G
Lunker
Lunker
G

G/

O.K. let me ask you this then. How much have you spent over the years on vacations or visiting friends where it's mostly a "social" visit? wink No need to answer, I just wanted to give you food for thngought.

Not much - children of the Great Depression would have a difficult time explaining it to the curent generation.. grin

G
Lunker
Lunker
G

G/

O.K. let me ask you this then. How much have you spent over the years on vacations or visiting friends where it's mostly a "social" visit? wink No need to answer, I just wanted to give you food for thngought.

Not much - children of the Great Depression would have a difficult time explaining it to the curent generation.. grin

Scott, this ain’t got nuthin’ to do with gut hooked fish but you took the bait and I’m setting the hook…
You are gittin’ too big for your britches and gonna git taken to the wood shed.
laugh
I probably done more travelin’ than many folks on this forum except HighFlyer and he cheats….
Before you were even born, I worked on a pipeline in Kansas when only 16 years old and went to California but union kept me off the pipeline so worked in apricot shed and came back home and worked as a welder in a shipyard at 17 years of age…….

Uncle Sam put me on a pleasure cruise that took 39 days to get to where I was going and almost as long cruise to get back home.

First few years on career worked in Texas, Louiiana, Arkansas, Olkahoma, Colorado, Utah, with side trips to Canada, Arctic and Alaska that I can recall.
Owned homes in Houston, Midland, Tulsa, back to Houston and finally settled down in Plano…..
Naw, I don’t take cruises or much on tourist travel…. grin

So how’s that for setting the hook? tired
George

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker

George, just like Mom & Dad. They haven't taken a "vacation" in probably 50-60 years. But, they will drive to their friends to socialize, sometimes 100 miles each way. FWIW, dad was born in '26, mom in '28, so when you say "children of the Great Depression", I know what you are talking about.

My "vacations", since the '80's, have consisted of either an out of state hunting trip, or trips to Texas to visit with friends and socialize.

I'm nibbling but I haven't swallowed the hook yet. wink grin

www.hoosierpondpros.com

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
Yep, I'm one year older than your Dad - who was it said "Getting old is not for sissies"?
OK - we have high jacked this thread long enough - back to Gill/Gut hooking Bass .... frown

J
jakeb Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
J
Thanks for the info guys, I guess I didn't realize how much stress the heat puts on bass. I should probably look into a tank like the one George has.

I am still in college, so I only get to fish my pond from May to August, that does not leave much time for fishing when I wont kill my fish.

I guess there are studies on how the heat affects LMB specifically or maybe you guys have just been around it enough to know they can die easily? Like was mentioned before often it takes time for these fish to stress and die, hours to even weeks. and we don't often see floaters. Im not saying I don't believe that the heat stresses them, I guess I just never thought it was that bad.

Get out and fish.
D
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
D
As water temp increases, so does metabolism.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Through-the-Gill Hook Removal - TPWD

I know this works with LMB, but it can be more difficult with a smaller gaped fish.

AL

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
This tool is a must-have when live bait fishing...or fishing with single hooks....

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

J
jakeb Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
J
Thanks for all the help, I have one more question on the subject of the heat stress.

This week we have had a cold front and outside temp has maxed at 80 and has been rainy and overcast. The pond water temp has dropped 10 degrees (estimated). Is it safer to fish while the water has cooled off? Have the oxygen levels changed much just because the drop in water temp and weather conditions.

Basically is there less stress in the cooler water right? even though its still July and in a week water temps could be back up high again?

Get out and fish.
J
jakeb Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
J
Bump for temp question in my above post. Thanks!

Get out and fish.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Bass do the best in water temps of 55-80 (°F).

Read the data in II. Non-salmonid waters for O2 levels.
http://www.lakeaccess.org/russ/oxygen.htm

Now look at the chart in the following link regarding amount of O2 in water according to temperature:
http://water.epa.gov/type/rsl/monitoring/vms52.cfm

You will have to convert °C to °F.

What does the information in those charts tell you about fishing in water that is over 80°F?

Forget air temps and concentrate on water temps. That's where the fish live. Don't estimate. If you don't have a water temp gauge, even a cheap pool thermometer, get one and check the water temps. You might be suprised at how much they can change.

Last edited by esshup; 08/01/14 03:38 PM.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by jpsdad - 03/28/24 08:04 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by jpsdad - 03/28/24 07:40 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 07:28 AM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by Bill Cody - 03/27/24 10:18 AM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy