Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,116
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,420
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
1 members (Dave Davidson1), 781 guests, and 228 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#383171 07/24/14 10:17 AM
RC51 Offline OP
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
Hey All,

I have a quick question.

My pond is in an area believe it or not that no one sells live bait. Well at least no minnows. I was wondering if I could put a 150 gallon very nice black Rubber Maid tub in the water by my dock and hold Shiners in it? The tub has a drain hole in the bottom of it which I could cover with a screen or some plastic mesh to keep the minnows in. I could also put a cover on top of it fairly easy.

If I set this in 2 feet or so of water in my pond would that work for shiners to live in? Would I need some other form of air if I have a drain hole in the bottom where water can get in and out of from the pond? Or would that be good enough? I am thinking I could sustain at least a 100 shiners in it for bait?

Is this doable or am I way off?

Thanks
RC

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
RC51 #383176 07/24/14 11:13 AM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
RC,

I don't see why that won't work. I did something like that many years ago on the lake at our family farm. I built about a 1-foot cube shaped cage out of 1/4 inch hardware cloth -- same kind of material as my minnow traps. As I caught shiners in the creek leading into the lake, I'd put them in the cage. I did that for a couple of seasons, and we always had plenty of minnows when we needed them. There were very few morts.

Ken

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
RC51 #383179 07/24/14 12:05 PM
RC51 Offline OP
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
Hey Ken thanks for the reply I apprecaite it. I already have the 150 gallon tub doing nothing at the moment and would love to put it to good use! Hard to believe a town of 10,000 and no live bait anywhere.... Maybe I should open a new buisness!! smile

Thanks I think I am going to give it a shot! The worst that could happen is I lose some minnows....

RC

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
RC51 #383187 07/24/14 12:43 PM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
One more thing that my old brain forgot.

I have two 10 gallon aquariums that I've used for a long time to keep my supply of minnows and baitfish.

I have a dual output aerator designed for a 50 gallon aquarium and airstones for each aquarium that are about 1 x 1 x 12 inches. The air pump and stones cost a total of less than $20 at a pet supply store.

I also have the original aquarium filter pumps in place. They have little pumps that pull water from half-way up the aquarium side, pass it through two stages of filtering -- coarse and fine. The water then dumps back into the aquarium above the waterline, adding a little more air, and hopefully taking out a little bit of ammonia.

I use "cuttable/trimmable" furnace filter material for the big pieces. The 20 x 30 inch piece I bought several years ago will be around longer than me. I use about 16 square inches each season. It was about $5.

I don't buy the charcoal/cloth filters for the fine filtering. Instead, I use 3-M sponges that have the rough scrubbers on one side. It is very similar to the furnace filter material. I find that they work better than the normal aquarium filters, plus I can rinse and squeeze them out a couple of times per week without any issues. Then I use them to scrub the aquarium sides, and re-rinse them before putting them back in the filter. They last a whole season. Actually, they'd probably last a lot longer, but I clean everything out at the end of the fishing season.

I can't find a source for shiners around here, but I can catch all the creek chubs I want in a creek just down the road. I can also trap darters there. My hybrid bluegill successfully spawned this year. I've been using a casting/throwing net to catch their YOY for bait.

Lastly, I have an old electric coffee grinder. I use it to grind the fish feed I use in the ponds. It comes out -- well, like ground coffee. Perfect for feeding the minnows and baitfish.

Anyway, this all works great until we have several days of temps in the mid-90s/upper-30s F/C degrees. Needless to say, I'm starting over this week. All my fish died last week when the water got really warm and I wasn't cleaning it everyday.

Ken

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
RC51 #383188 07/24/14 12:52 PM
D
D
I think a mesh-walled cage would be much preferred as it allows a free interchange of water with the pond. A drain hole in the bottom will not do much to exchange water. If you have an aeration/filtration system, then a tub in or out of a pond would do the job of keeping O2 up and detritus down. If you pumped pond water into the top of the tub, or got fresh water in somehow and let it flow out the bottom, that would help keep the tub water in decent condition.

RC51 #383189 07/24/14 12:54 PM
RC51 Offline OP
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
Yeah that's my fear that's why I was wondering if I submerge half of it in my pond and let the pond water flow in and out of the drain would it get to warm? I was also thinking of putting a partial cover over it so it wouldn't get direct sun. The tub has a 2 inch drain on the bottom side of it. I figured that would be enough in / out flow to help keep them alive? At least I hope anyway. It's not like I am going to have tons of them in there. I would just like to keep a few dozen or maybe a pound of them at a time.

RC

RC51 Offline OP
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
Originally Posted By: DNickolaus
I think a mesh-walled cage would be much preferred as it allows a free interchange of water with the pond. A drain hole in the bottom will not do much to exchange water. If you have an aeration/filtration system, then a tub in or out of a pond would do the job of keeping O2 up and detritus down. If you pumped pond water into the top of the tub, or got fresh water in somehow and let it flow out the bottom, that would help keep the tub water in decent condition.

Hey Nick that's what I am wondering. If that drain would be enough or not? Was also thinking of putting some pea gravel on the bottom of it. But like you said will that drain be enough? Not sure... Have to try I guess and see what happens. I don't want to drill holes in this tub as it was pretty expensive!

RC

RC51 #383192 07/24/14 01:00 PM
RC51 Offline OP
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
I may have to think about putting it closer to my air station. I have an extra plug over there and I could use it for some kind of small pump. I could put it on a timer to run at night when the air is running.

Rc

RC51 #383202 07/24/14 03:56 PM
D
D
with a drain hole, what would make water move through it? If there's a pressure differential, water would flow to equalize, but once equal it will cease to flow. If you can get new water in the top an equal amount would try to flow out the bottom. Just adding air would keep DO up, but you need water out to carry waste. The small tank guys can advise from experience, but just because you set a tub in a pond, that wouldn't make water flow in or out a single hole.
Hrm. Perhaps a small ejector design.. use the air to create a small water pump. Could you slightly tip the tub, inject a water/air mixture in the drain hole and let excess water spill over the top? Netting to keep them in. Wouldn't get sunk solids out. Would have to go out the drain to get any solids out at all, but getting water up over the lip would be harder than simply pushing it from outside the tub to inside thru drain hole.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
If you have power at the pond, place the smallest fountain pump you can buy in the tank, and pump water out of the tank. Water will come in via the drain. 1/10 gpm is way more than enough.

Or, tie it onto the outside of the tank somehow and pump water from the pond into the tank, letting it exit the drain.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
RC51 #383228 07/24/14 08:09 PM
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
You may need to put floats on the rim on the tub so it always floats and does not completely fill with water due to the pumping and sink??

Last edited by Bill Cody; 07/24/14 08:09 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/29/24 01:06 AM
pond experience needed
by esshup - 03/29/24 12:45 AM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails