Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,900
Posts557,095
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,415
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
9 members (esshup, Sunil, jpsdad, azteca, BillyE, H20fwler, FishinRod, Augie, PRCS), 719 guests, and 270 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Organic chemistry

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Organic chemistry is a chemistry subdiscipline involving the scientific study of the structure, properties, and reactions of organic compounds and organic materials, i.e., matter in its various forms that contain carbon atoms.[1] Study of structure includes using spectroscopy (e.g., NMR), mass spectrometry, and other physical and chemical methods to determine the chemical composition and constitution of organic compounds and materials. Study of properties includes both physical properties and chemical properties, and uses similar methods as well as methods to evaluate chemical reactivity, with the aim to understand the behavior of the organic matter in its pure form (when possible), but also in solutions, mixtures, and fabricated forms. The study of organic reactions includes probing their scope through use in preparation of target compounds (e.g., natural products, drugs, polymers, etc.) by chemical synthesis, as well as the focused study of the reactivities of individual organic molecules, both in the laboratory and via theoretical (in silico) study.
The range of chemicals studied in organic chemistry include hydrocarbons, compounds containing only carbon and hydrogen, as well as myriad compositions based always on carbon, but also containing other elements,[1][2][3] especially:
• oxygen, nitrogen, sulfur, phosphorus (these, included in many organic chemicals in biology) and the radiostable of the halogens.
In the modern era, the range extends further into the periodic table, with main group elements, including:
• Group 1 and 2 organometallic compounds, i.e., involving alkali (e.g., lithium, sodium, and potassium) or alkaline earth metals (e.g., magnesium), or
• metalloids (e.g., boron and silicon) or other metals (e.g., aluminum and tin).
In addition, much modern research focuses on organic chemistry involving further organometallics, including the lanthanides, but especially the:
• transition metals (e.g., zinc, copper, palladium, nickel, cobalt, titanium, chromium, etc.).
, organic compounds form the basis of all earthly life and constitute a significant part of human endeavors in chemistry. The bonding patterns open to carbon, with its valence of four—formal single, double, and triple bonds, as well as various structures with delocalized electrons—make the array of organic compounds structurally diverse, and their range of applications enormous. They either form the basis of, or are important constituents of, many commercial products including pharmaceuticals; petrochemicals and products made from them (including lubricants, solvents, etc.); plastics; fuels and explosives; etc. As indicated, the study of organic chemistry overlaps with organometallic chemistry and biochemistry, but also with medicinal chemistry, polymer chemistry, as well as many aspects of materials science.[1]

Last edited by ewest; 07/24/14 12:35 PM.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Yes, mostly organic. The chloroplast inside the diatom shell is basically a plant with most of the typical algae components. The diatom is just a soft bodied algae (phytoplankter) with a glass shell. When consumed the organism digests the inside contents and expels the shell. Sometimes the shells are fractured depending on the thickness of the shell; some are thin, some are thick, some single and some in chains or linked together.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 07/24/14 08:18 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
J
J
OK, I just have layman's questions. A diatom has a silica valve made up of two walls made of glass (sand) and I am guessing the valve sifts water for nourishment and wastes for the organic part of the diatom. I never knew that inorganic and organic materials together existed to make a living plant or animal. Is inorganic and organic combinations in life forms a rare thing or is it common? Wouldn't that be the unlikely prospect of a human heart having a glass valve? I wonder why a diatom evolved this way?

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
John asks - "Is inorganic and organic combinations in life forms a rare thing or is it common?" Inorganic and organic combine numerous times in living organisms. Inorganic minerals are incorporated into various types of hard surfaces. I will list a just a few examples. clams, snails, exoskeletons of crustaceans such as crayfish, crabs, lobster, and in higher animals teeth and bone have lots of inorganic structure. Otoliths of fish are inorganic. Many animals have hard structures that appear to be inorganic, but are really hard structures comprised of hardened organic proteins; examples are horns, toenails, porcupine quills, etc.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 07/25/14 02:06 PM.

J
J
Thanks for your answers Bill. That was surprising to me and it leads to another question. Since DNA is the program instructions for all organic life from a flea to an elephant or a diatom, and a diatom's valve is made up of inorganic material, then it would seem to follow that inorganic material can be programmable by DNA as long as it has organic help. Or in the case of the diatom valve made of silica sand (glass) having the DNA instructions to reproduce itself. That would seem to imply some kind of life to inorganic material. So perhaps silica instructed by DNA could produce a glass bottle. Where am I going wrong in my thinking?

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
John - in theory you are probably correct. I'm not sure that your statement is sound: "That would seem to imply some kind of life to inorganic material." I'm not sure what you mean by "life". However "life" does utilize or incorporate inorganic elements such as calcium, iron, nitrogen, zinc, etc in the living cells, tissues, and organs that comprise living organisms.

The DNA of the diatom and other organisms is responsible for instructing specialized cells or organelles to produce specialized inorganic deposits. The software of a diatom does allow it to create a perforated glass bottle around itself. Aren't the wonders of nature amazing!? However it is probably much cheaper and easier for us to manufacture glass bottles and many other mechanical and electronic things. The potential of controlling DNA in cells has a lot of future benefits especially in the medical field where we cannot with machines manufacture replacement living body parts. Controlling DNA will be our salvation. Medical science is continually getting closer to this goal.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 07/26/14 08:33 AM.

J
J
Originally Posted By: Bill Cody
John - in theory you are probably correct. I'm not sure that your statement is sound: "That would seem to imply some kind of life to inorganic material." I'm not sure what you mean by "life". However "life" does utilize or incorporate inorganic elements such as calcium, iron, nitrogen, zinc, etc in the living cells, tissues, and organs that comprise living organisms.

Bill the DNA instruction in the specialized cell would utilize calcium for making bones but then if you took a sample of that bone you would find the complete instructions for say a dog in the bone if it was a dogs bone. And we would call that bone organic. So I guess I am thinking if you sampled the glass diatom valve would you find find the complete instructions for a diatom in a glass valve we would call inorganic? Maybe the glass valve is impregnated also with organic cells and if so then that might be a kind of life. I probably need to get off this subject but thanks for your reply's Bill.

R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
Think of this more like the outer covering of a caddisfly larvae.

http://chamisa.freeshell.org/caddis.htm

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
John, DNA in bone in located only in the inner bone aka bone marrow the living part or bone core. The silica shell itself of diatoms has no living part, it is pure silica thus no DNA. An animal bone and glass diatom shell have a completely different structure. The skeletal system is a complex living organ; multiple cell structure. Remember each diatom is a single cell. The glass diatom shell is not impregnated with DNA nor any organic material. The nucleic material and plant chloroplast are inside the inorganic shell. The glass shell of diatoms will withstand incineration to burn the inner organic contents and/or treatment with oxidizers such as nitric acid or strong hydrogen peroxide to digest the cell contents so one can better observe the shell structure.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 07/27/14 03:02 PM.

J
J
RAH I will do some reading on the caddisfly larvae. I'm amazed how building a simple relaxing pond can lead to exciting thoughts about nature. And Bill I really appreciate you answering my questions.

Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Great questions John, enlightening science, Bill. Great thread...

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

M
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
M
I want to go back to my twenties...that's when I thought I knew everything. The older I get the dumber I get smile

Very cool stuff and thanks for the teaching!!!

D
D
Originally Posted By: Bill Cody
John, DNA in bone in located only in the inner bone aka bone marrow the living part or bone core. The silica shell itself of diatoms has no living part, it is pure silica thus no DNA. An animal bone and glass diatom shell have a completely different structure. The skeletal system is a complex living organ; multiple cell structure. Remember each diatom is a single cell. The glass diatom shell is not impregnated with DNA nor any organic material. The nucleic material and plant chloroplast are inside the inorganic shell. The glass shell of diatoms will withstand incineration to burn the inner organic contents and/or treatment with oxidizers such as nitric acid or strong hydrogen peroxide to digest the cell contents so one can better observe the shell structure.

This is why silica is a very important element in nature but it is very abundant as well.

Bills probably forgotten more than I know.

Cheers Don.

[Linked Image from corvettejunkie.com]
http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4

7/8th of an acre, Perch only pond, Ontario, Canada.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by jpsdad - 03/28/24 04:51 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by BillyE - 03/28/24 04:35 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
Alum vs Bentonite/Lathanum for Phosphorus Removal?
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 04:23 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 04:13 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by ewest - 03/28/24 03:37 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass