Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,116
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,420
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
1 members (anthropic), 750 guests, and 227 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 14
S
S
Thanks for reporting on and providing pictures of the fish in the shipping containers. I've never ordered any fish via being shipped, but nice to know it works in case I need to order some tilipia or something in the future.

Please take pics when you get your crayfish. I'd like to see those.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Don't forget the above fish for JamieE were shipped during cool weather of April. This is very important when shipping fish. The warmer it gets the less likely they will arrive in real good shape with low stress.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 04/13/14 02:56 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
What size were the banded killifish? If 2" or more, they should begin spawning once temps hit 70 or so. My only concern is GSH are quite a bit predacious. I just hope they don't go eating the fry and eggs or all your more valuable forage fish. I may have waited to stock them a little later...

J
JamieE Offline OP
OP Offline
J
The source on the FHM and GSH was Jones fish. They had a fish day in Ft.Wayne and it was convenient. I talked to a couple of the guys and they swore that I wouldn't find anything but FHM in the bag, but I told them I'd sort just to be sure. They laughed and said "go for it, hope you have a lot of time". It did take a little time but it wasn't too bad and I think it was well worth the peace of mind...

We'll hopefully since I stocked the GSH at a very low rate all will be fine. The killifish were probably a little under 2", but Brian acted like they would be ready to spawn pretty quickly this summer.

J
JamieE Offline OP
OP Offline
J

J
JamieE Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Also I managed to catch what I believe to be a calico crayfish that's full of eggs and I want to confirm the the ID. Also a couple of the eggs hatched while I had the crayfish in a container so I included a photo of the baby crayfish; pretty cool stuff!

http://i1065.photobucket.com/albums/u392/JamieE38/c243abb31fe476a9681a8185c48611d2.jpg

http://i1065.photobucket.com/albums/u392/JamieE38/18d9d839f1978ae54dc390314bceaf5e.jpg

http://i1065.photobucket.com/albums/u392/JamieE38/7512cd224aa15eddad93ca500442b649.jpg

http://i1065.photobucket.com/albums/u392/JamieE38/b10f49d52d1c7a4e1c418230d23d4479.jpg

J
JamieE Offline OP
OP Offline
J
I have a quick update on the pond. It appears that the forage base is well on its way as I've noticed literally hundreds or possibly even thousands of fry along the banks of the pond. Not sure what they are as of yet, but when they start to get a little more size I'll catch some for ID. I've been feeding the FH and GSH ground up fish food for at least a couple weeks now and they are really hitting the food.

The pond is very close to full pool and the clarity is getting to be pretty good now that the water line is up to the rock along the bank.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
jamie:

If you catch some that are 1/2" long or so, put them in a clear plastic bag (ziploc) and take a clear picture from the side. We can ID some pretty small fish! grin

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
J
JamieE Offline OP
OP Offline
J
I've been walking the edge of the pond almost nightly and feeding the FHM and GSH. The progress they are making is amazing to me. The number of fry in just a few short months is quite surprising to me! Everything I've managed to net so far look to be FHM fry. I haven't added any spawning substrate for the GSH so they may not be spawning yet, but they are definitely growing... They are schooling up and really aggressively feed on the crushed pellet feed that we toss in the pond in the evenings. Also there are thousands of tad poles and frogs already establishing themselves. Looks to be a great start on establishing at least a short term food base for the SMB that will be stocked in the fall of 2015.

I have put my order in for 3000 paper shell crayfish that I hope to add in the next few weeks. Smith Creek is a little behind schedule on the crayfish. They say the crayfish are smaller than usual at this time due to colder waters.

I have been seeing a few 3" fish that are a bit different looking and they tend to live under a specific conrete or rock chunk in shallow water. I'm having a hard time identifying them as they don't sit still long enough for me to get a good look. I throw fish pellets out and they swim out to grab a chunk and go right back under the structure. The same fish seem to stay under the same rock day after day... Does this sound like LCS? The fish look to be darker colored then the FHM and GSH swimming around them. I thought they would be using the deeper water? These fish almost act like they are spawning? There is quite a lot of fry hanging close by to these rocks as well, but I'm not sure if they are FHM or something else? Any guesses as to what this could be?

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Do those fish have a dark body but a light colored head?

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
J
JamieE Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Not really esshup... I did get a little closer look at one today as I was attempting to catch one for a pic.. The fish looks like a large FHM, but darker in color... Maybe it is a FHM and its spawning under the rock? I haven't looked at too many larger FHM so maybe thats what it is. I was hoping it was a LCS, but don't think it is now. I'll see if I can get a pic of one of them for conformation.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: esshup
Do those fish have a dark body but a light colored head?

Jeez, the brain was thinking one thing but the fingers typed out another. blush

I meant dark head with light colored areas on the body.

That's a breeding Male FHM.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

J
JamieE Offline OP
OP Offline
J
You nailed it essup! That's what I've been seeing... Thanks for helping me clear that up.

J
JamieE Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Can someone identify this young fish please? I'm pretty sure it's not a FHM, as I've been looking at a lot of them lately and it looks a lot different swimming around. I've just now noticed a few of these feeding on the crushed pellets I've been feeding the FHM and GSH. I'm reasonably sure it's a GSH fry, but I'm hoping this pic is clear enough for conformation. Thanks for any help.

http://i1065.photobucket.com/albums/u392/JamieE38/2d9cd79b11fc27f055220acf00ba7d7f.jpg

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I may be wrong, but I'll take a stab at it. Try googling Gambusia.....

It's hard to tell in that pic. Take a good close look at the lateral line. If it takes a large dip down then it's a Golden Shiner fry.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Lunker
I agree with Scott's take - Gambusia or some kind of a topminnow maybe.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

J
JamieE Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Okay, thanks guys. Ill try and catch another and get a pic of one in a clear plastic bag.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Mosquito fish aka Gambusia.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
R
Fingerling
Fingerling
R
Where did you get the LCS from? I have been trying to find them for an eternity!

Lunker
Lunker
I am working to raise Bluntnose Minnows, Spotfin Shiners, and Lake Chubsuckers and provide nationwide LEGALLY as fish will all be NE disease tested and will pass all state importation permit requirements. No more inadvertent violations of state fish import laws so everyone can rest easy at night. Since these are not commercially available, we need a source and I'm trying to change that. Stay tuned!

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

R
Fingerling
Fingerling
R
Well I am very interested! When you get this up and running please keep me on your list of people to notify!

Lunker
Lunker
When we're ready to roll I'll post on the forum, with Lusk approval. It's a tedious process to get everything situated from a legal perspective...raising and shipping fish out of state requires very thorough research to avoid violating state and federal laws. Most fish shipments being made from online sources for what the state may consider "exotic" or "non native" fish are violating state and federal regulations for anything other than aquarium stocking. I was surprised to discover that most of us, including myself, are ignorant of that fact - it was enlightening and a wee bit scary, too.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
The problem is that there isn't a universal regulation - each state is different. Each state is so different, that there could be different regulations for whether the fish is for food, aquarium use or pond use. If for pond use, then you can possibly break it down into 2 groups. Ponds with permanent inlets/outlets or ponds without - at least that's how Michigan designates ponds.

Then it also could be broken down into areas of the state. I believe Texas has different regs for GC that are in the Lake Fork watershed vs. not in that watershed.

VERY complex!

www.hoosierpondpros.com

Lunker
Lunker
Scott is correct. Every shipment must be researched and scrutinized as it can vary widely and ignorance is no excuse for violating laws that govern export/importation of fish. Been hearing many stories lately of bait/fish dealers and hatcheries getting into federal issues, hefty fines, bankrupt businesses, and prison time due to minor infractions. It can be done, but must be performed carefully and with deliberation. Consequences are potentially terrifying for both shipper and client. Cross your Ts!

Scott answered the question about state regulations I was about to ask.

Same thing with herbicides. Some online shops will sell herbicides that require applicators licenses in some states, and others won't.

Here for instance, I can buy 2-4D in quarts only. Any volume more than that requires an applicator's license. MSMA, which I use a lot of, is now only available in 2 1/2 gallon jugs. It makes no sense, but that's the law.

TJ, I know you'll do all the legwork, but it seems like a daunting task.

AL

Page 5 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 14

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/29/24 01:06 AM
pond experience needed
by esshup - 03/29/24 12:45 AM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails