Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,128
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,422
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
16 members (jpsdad, rjackson, esshup, Boondoggle, jbird5986, Sunil, Rick O, Angler8689, anthropic, Justin W, Bing, bstone261, DenaTroyer, Theo Gallus, Shorthose, Freg), 959 guests, and 191 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#382029 07/12/14 04:38 AM
H
OP Offline
H
Instead of the usual bluegill/bass mix... has anyone tried bluegill with rainbow trout as a predator specie instead of largemouth? As the 'bows won't spawn here I could maintain pretty good control of the number of predator fish in the new 1/4 acre pond. Plus... I like 'bows more than bass! Thanks in advance for your experience and opinions.

Pond Boss subscriber

Would those that say "it can't be done" please refrain from interrupting those that are doing it...
F
F
Not that I have tried what you are proposing, but I have used RBT to try and control GSF early in my pond stocking. In short, I don't think it will work. They have worked on the GSF (and I also have bass), but not enough. Keep in my, I am always up for experiments, while others only want tried and true methods.

GSF don't spawn as often as BG, so BG will be more prolific.

You won't want to pellet feed. The RBT will eat that instead of the BG.

Don't have cover for the BG to hide in. I have way to much.

You are going to need some big RBT to eat BG over 3". If you can get the trout to live year round, that's possible. If the RBT die, then the BG will grow all summer and get ahead of the trout that will be stocked in the fall.

Now, you can combat all these problems in some way. Possibly have a selective predator that will take over eating the BG when the trout are done/gone. Lots of variables in your pond setting would dictate whether you even have a fighting chance with this idea. If it don't work out, are you willing to start over? Possibly you could add LMB later if the BG start getting out of control. If you can get trout to live year round, it might be a god idea to get them in, feed them a year to grow, then stock BG and stop feeding. Do you care if the BG get stunted? If not, then may be it would actually be good for a trout pond ?

Do you really want BG at all? If you just want trout, put FHM in and let them spawn till fall. Add trout in fall and let them go to town on the FHM till June(and feed pellets). Repeat process. Pretty easy pond to take care of IMO.

It will be interesting to see if others can come up with feasible possibilities for this scenario.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I think it all depends on water temperature. RBT *might* survive if the water temps get to the mid 70's, but the O2 levels have to be at saturation. RBT do much better if the water temps barely kiss 70°F tops. BG need water in the low to mid 70's to spawn.

So, if you can keep water cool enough for RBT, BG spawning might be held to a minimum or not spawn at all.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
F
F
That's interesting Esshup. Didn't know that about BG. In my pond this year, I definitely had BG spawning about a month before the trout disappeared. So there was an overlap of that schedule in my region. I Don't know if that would be on a regular basis, or just a weather related once-in-ten-year thing. My pond has a spring in it to, which might let the trout live a bit longer in cold pockets and yet warm enough in other areas.

Seems like Hollywood would need to be very up on that, as a change of spawning from one year to the next would dictate management direction and whether the stocking plan is successful or not.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I had RBT alive with BG nesting, but I was trying something in the pond to allow the RBT to live longer into the summer. I've had RBT die off in my pond in early May all the way to the 2nd week in July. Water temp and resulting drop in O2 levels were the cause.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
H
OP Offline
H
This pond is about 14 feet at the deepest. We hit an underground spring at about the 9'10 foot section. It is deepest by the dam and I left a large shallow area at the head of the pond(for warmer water) I haven't taken a temperature yet... but it was QUITE refreshing last night when I went for the first swim to get rid of the dirt & sweat after putting in the road. I moved 10 rainbows and a couple brookies to this pond this morning to see how they fare.

Pond Boss subscriber

Would those that say "it can't be done" please refrain from interrupting those that are doing it...
H
H
At what depth would a guy want to temp the water to determine suitability for RBT?

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Hesperus
At what depth would a guy want to temp the water to determine suitability for RBT?

Temp alone isn't the limiting factor. It's the amount of dissolved O2 in the water. IIRC RBT need a minimum of 7 mg/l to survive for any length of time.

I've seen RBT alive in a 7' deep pond pond with water temps readings of 76 -77 degrees F. But, that pond had both bottom diffuser aeration and surface agitation aeration systems running at the same time.

Here's some reading for ya.

http://www.lakeaccess.org/russ/oxygen.htm

www.hoosierpondpros.com

H
H
I guess the simpler question is do you think I'd be wasting my money trying some?

Also what would you suggest for a thermometer setup to check temps? I'd like to poke around a bit and se if I can "temp out" a spring if there is one where I think it is.

T
T
I have brook trout and pumpkinseed and the trout (char really) love the fry and will eat lots of it but there may still be overpopulation of BG

3 ponds mountains of NC. One 5 acre and two 1/4 acre ponds. SMB Redbreast sunfish LMB YP CC brook trout WE and warmouth perch
T
T
And any trout caught should be kept as bows are sensitive and die of stress more often than not. I used to have a few but they don't spawn, however are cheap so you can keep what you catch without concern

3 ponds mountains of NC. One 5 acre and two 1/4 acre ponds. SMB Redbreast sunfish LMB YP CC brook trout WE and warmouth perch
T
T
I have brook year round as the water here is cold and they live fine into the low 70s. I may stock a few rainbow trout this summer.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by jpsdad - 03/29/24 08:24 AM
pond experience needed
by esshup - 03/29/24 08:19 AM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Sunil - 03/29/24 07:31 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by RogersTailgate - 03/29/24 05:45 AM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday