Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
BamaBass9, Sryously, PapaCarl, Mcarver, araudy
18,505 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,964
Posts558,005
Members18,506
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,541
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
1 members (Willy Wonka), 803 guests, and 186 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#3804 05/29/06 06:05 PM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I just had another of my planning sessions with my contractor as we set out the details for setting the 6" PVC drain. The entire drain run will be approx 280 ft. The drain valve will be set about 100 ft from the inlet end in front of the dam. There will be 2 anti-seep collars set within this 100 ft section. Downstream, after the valve, will be the balance of the drain run, emptying into the existing seasonal brook that runs off the property.
THE QUESTION: As we talked about setting the drain, he noted that he had picked up a plate compactor and wanted to use it to help seal the clay soil around the drain pipe. He said it is a killer unit. I forgot the weight, but it was alot...maybe 300 or 400#, 18" x 24 or 30" base? He was pretty pumped on it's application to the job; looks like I get to run it while he and the crew run the heavy equipment. I have used smaller rental units; they work great. Should I have any concern for this application? It sure seems like the right thing to do. The only thing I can think of is that I will want to make sure the solvent joints are well cured (24 hours) before I go vibratin' the krap out of 'em. What am I missing, if anything?

Z
Lunker
Lunker
Z
Brettski,
I prefer to add the first lift of fill to both sides of the pipe while leaving the pipe mostly exposed on top. Then work beside the pipe and not on top of it. I actually use my motorgrader front tire to do the packing, and it would probably squish the pipe if I ran over it.
Getting dirt shoved down around the bottom 1/2 of the pipe is what I think is most important. Moist material is easier to get packed into that area.
After that add a lift over the top of the pipe and go.

Make it look easy,
http://zhkent.com
J
JBL Offline
Lunker
Lunker
J
I agree zhkent the bottom half is the most critical and if it is going to leak that is where it will be. We have used jumping jacks and the walk behind plate compactors and they just don't seem to shove the dirt under that bottom section of pipe. A plate compactor on a hoe may do a better job, never used one so can't say for sure. The best thing I have seen for compacting around pipes is an air wacker. Make no mistake it is alot of work but I have 100% confidence in the job it does. Here is a link to one.
http://www.gciron.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=MBT-6

Administrator
Lunker
Administrator
Lunker
Brettski - Whatever method you use for the packing, make sure your flux capacitor is fully charged as it sounds like some serious work! \:\)

Life is Good on Bremer Pond

Bremer Pond Weather
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Thanks for the tip, Dwight. I have rigged a portable Coleman generator to operate on nitrous. This, with the re-wound field, should produce the required 1.21 gigiwatts. There have been a couple of engineering issues, mostly with adapting the drive of hi-track D-6 to propel to 88 MPH. The stainless steel body has been less of an issue, albeit a bit expensive. I should be able to save on yellow paint, tho.

Lunker
Lunker
I may not be Biff, but I can recognize a load of manure when it's coming at me. :rolleyes:

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
Administrator
Lunker
Administrator
Lunker
If that D6 Hi-Track gets to vibrating too much at high speed you may need to install a butt-compensator to assist you in remaining in control.

Do you have the specs on the nitrous installation on the Coleman? Is it a staged system? Photos maybe? Perhaps you should market a Nitrous kit for us do-it-yourselfers out here!

Obviously Theo doesn't understand high performance dirt work as there is no way he would be able to differentiate manure from dirt at these speeds.....
:p

Life is Good on Bremer Pond

Bremer Pond Weather
P
P
I think a butt plug would work wonders to control the prolific flow of manure! :rolleyes:

Please no more rain for a month! :|
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Quote:
Do you have the specs on the nitrous installation on the Coleman? Is it a staged system? Photos maybe? Perhaps you should market a Nitrous kit for us do-it-yourselfers out here!
I think Theo answers these proprietary related questions best: If I show you, I will have to kill you. (it should be noted that there is an entire line of Coleman nitrous-enhanced camping gear on the Brettski Engineering design table. The Nitrous Lantern will rock! The Nitrous porta-potti has offered a special return, identifying an unanticipated fuel source. Testing continues as we re-design the fuel output port adapter)

Lunker
Lunker
 Quote:
Originally posted by Brettski:
The Nitrous porta-potti has offered a special return, identifying an unanticipated fuel source.
Now THAT'S Nitro-methane! \:D

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Dwight lays out fair warning:
 Quote:
Whatever method you use for the packing, make sure your flux capacitor is fully charged as it sounds like some serious work!
HOLY PAC-MAN! A couple of hours in 90 degrees and no breeze, trying to hold onto this 2 cycle kangaroo and I'm ready for Motrin 800!
When my contractor said that I get to run the compactor, I thought he meant a vibratory unit...I've run those before and only remember their weight as a man-handle factor. This thing is a jumping jack on steroids. I have new-found respect for the construction trades.

E
Lunker
Lunker
E
Brettski,

Nice Job! Compactor, two anti seep collars, slopes laid back. Should work very well.

Is that 4 or 6 inch schedule 40 I see?

By looking at the length of that pipe, this old girl is going to have some height and storage capacity when completed. ;\)

Ed

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Quote:
Brettski,

Nice Job!
Comin' from Ed, that means alot to me....thank you!
6" Sched 40 rated for pressure (not just DWV). All 310 ft of it. The anti-seeps are the 48" square PVC units; they made a big difference in handling and installation. I can't imagine the headaches handling the neoprene/rubber units.
That old girl should be holdin' about 35 ac/ft over 5+ surface acres.

D
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
D
Brettski, how's your back? Been worried about you since i discovered this thread and saw pic.

GSF are people too!

J
JBL Offline
Lunker
Lunker
J
How do you like that new cat hoe you bought the contractor, Brettski? \:D

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
...back's OK, but wallet has an appointment with the chiropractor.

D
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
D
i hear you, i am still recovering from last year, but hey....did it w/ no debt (by skin of my teeth).

i couldnt help but see myself in that pic.....just reminded me of all the dumb things i've done thinking "i'm gonna do this myself", ....no pain, no gain, it'll be all worth it when you're floatin around, catchin BGs, and sippin a cold one.

looking forward to hearing your continued progress.

GSF are people too!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
HookedUp, nhnewbee, orgeranyc
Recent Posts
American Feeder H 125 Fish Feeder
by Willy Wonka - 04/29/24 05:23 AM
GSH - Spawning Habitat
by Snipe - 04/28/24 11:22 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by Boondoggle - 04/28/24 10:44 PM
Concrete pond construction