Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
MidwestCass, Bucyrus22B, Steve Clubb, macman59, jm96
18,483 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,944
Posts557,788
Members18,483
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,508
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,141
Who's Online Now
2 members (Foozle, Croakin' Toad), 712 guests, and 276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
D
D
Originally Posted By: Sunil
vamaz, I also use the 'loop to loop' method to connect tippet back to the original leader.

Seems to work OK, but perhaps just isn't 'purist' enough??

There are reasons why one would shy away from loop to loop on tippets/leader connections, but that's mainly for moving water. Rivers and streams. Ponds and lakes no biggie.

As far as purists go, I don't know any. And I know alot of fly fisherman. I spend probably 80-100 days a year fly fishing. Almost all of them have been very helpful and friendly. I've met many on the rivers over the years. I think it's mostly a negative stereotype. All it takes is one bad apple to ruin the bushel.

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
Originally Posted By: Dirk
vamaz, I also use the 'loop to loop' method to connect tippet back to the original leader.

There are reasons why one would shy away from loop to loop on tippets/leader connections, but that's mainly for moving water. Rivers and streams. Ponds and lakes no biggie.

As far as purists go, I don't know any. And I know alot of fly fisherman. I spend probably 80-100 days a year fly fishing. Almost all of them have been very helpful and friendly. I've met many on the rivers over the years. I think it's mostly a negative stereotype. All it takes is one bad apple to ruin the bushel.

Originally Posted By: Dirk

Dirk, I am really glad that you joined PondBoss, not just for the fly fishing part, but your knowledge of fish and fishing will be a real asset - and good folks to be associated with.

I also cringe at the word “purist/elitist” but the movie “A River Runs Through It did more to bring folks into fly fishing but also drug a few fly fishing snobs along.

I also fished many 100 days a year for many years, but old bones took me to ponds and private waters - yeah I’m old - bought my first fly rod in 1951 - a bamboo SouthBend.

We have had “our” ponds now for over ten years and have only used conventional gear a couple of time to cull come bass.

Most fly fishermen don’t realize that pre WWII small spoons and spinners were often used by fly fishermen - when spin tackle came along the light weight spinners and spoons could be cast on spin tackle.

Back to “purists”- fly fishermen on Pond Boss are really snobs - we use flies with spinners - “panty hose” pellet flies - Stubby Steves and one of our famous members even uses earth worm - Shame - Shame... laugh

The Pond Fly Fishing topic has just been recently added to the forum. Interest cooled down over the winter but is picking up steam recently and hopefully becomes more popular - some folks just don’t get it.. grin ..ponds and fly-fishing are made for each other.

Again - welcome to Pond Boss.
George Glazener

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
I didn't mean my comment as an insult to anybody, but can see how it could come across that way.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

Y
Lunker
Lunker
Y
I didn't mean my comment as an insult to anybody, but can see how it could come across that way.

It's the Peroni, Sunil.
No one would give it a second thought if you were a Bud Light man.

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
Good discussion of leaders and tippets!
One thing not mentioned are furled leaders which I now use exclusively for LMB, HSB and salt water species - they are tapered with loops on each end, made of mono of fluorocarbon for float ot sink.
http://www.robinscustomleadersandflies.com/leaderpage.htm

As Kirk mentioned, newer fly lines have built in loops, but for years I made my own “double catch” braided mono loops.
It’s loop to loop for every thing for me these days, as mentioned in prior discussion. The only mono tapered leaders I have used in the past are for destination trips for tarpon or trout.
Like many others, I use loop to loop straight mono for smaller species.

Robin is good friend that makes furled leaders for me - no memory and perfect roll out.
G/

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Originally Posted By: Yolk Sac

It's the Peroni, Sunil.
No one would give it a second thought if you were a Bud Light man.

Nah, Sunil is just a flat out meanie wink

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
My own version of "A Peroni Runs Through It."

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

Y
Lunker
Lunker
Y
Peronis don't run. They perambulate.

Originally Posted By: george1
Like many others, I use loop to loop straight mono for smaller species...

George showed me the straight mono tippet deal early on, and that's all I do too. A spool or two of mono and fluro gives me easy to change options, and it's far cheaper than buying prepackaged tipets.

AL

Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
I also often use tippet tied directly to the furled leader like George mentions. However, in defense of tapered leaders - their upper section is stiffer, heavier mono and it helps your fly lay out gently and consistently. If you don't change flies often, can tie knots with very little waste, and don't get hung up often, one can fish a tapered leader for a long time and in my experience it helps with smooth presentation. However, if you have a penchant for tying new flies often thinking it will stimulate a bite[like me], sometimes wasteful knots[like me], and get hung up in trees on your back cast from time to time [like me], direct tippet to leader is a lot easier and more efficient!

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57
I also often use tippet tied directly to the furled leader like George mentions. However, in defense of tapered leaders - their upper section is stiffer, heavier mono and it helps your fly lay out gently and consistently. If you don't change flies often, can tie knots with very little waste, and don't get hung up often, one can fish a tapered leader for a long time and in my experience it helps with smooth presentation. However, if you have a penchant for tying new flies often thinking it will stimulate a bite[like me], sometimes wasteful knots[like me], and get hung up in trees on your back cast from time to time [like me], direct tippet to leader is a lot easier and more efficient!

Yep T.J. - tapered store bought leaders are the way to go - and they will come that way if advice is followed to buy a basic starter kit with fly rod, reel, backing, fly line and a tapered leader.

If you are a DIY guy and want a stiffer butt section there are all kinds of formulas on the internet to make your own.
Before I switched to furled leaders, I made my own leader/tippets using Hard Mason Nylon leader material for stiffer butt section to help turn over the fly.
Have fun,
George

RC51 Offline OP
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
Hey guys thanks again. Sorry I been on Vacation in Wisconsin. I am back now and looking forward to going to BPS and getting a setup. Thanks for all the great info. I will keep you all posted as to what I get!

RC

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Froggy Joe
Recent Posts
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves
by Bill Cody - 04/18/24 08:53 PM
How many channel cats in 1/5 acre pond?
by Dave Davidson1 - 04/18/24 08:41 PM
1/4 HP pond aerator pump
by esshup - 04/18/24 06:58 PM
Hi there quick question on going forward