Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,128
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,422
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
16 members (jpsdad, rjackson, esshup, Boondoggle, jbird5986, Sunil, Rick O, Angler8689, anthropic, Justin W, Bing, bstone261, DenaTroyer, Theo Gallus, Shorthose, Freg), 959 guests, and 191 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
G
Lunker
Lunker
G
Good thread - there is a vast chasm that lies between!
Some pondsters have "vast" fish and fishing experience and other have none.

I well remember catching my first "bass" more than 80 years ago - fishing for "brim" in a creek behind our house with worms with a cane pole - ran out of worms and tied on a berry blossom and caught a bass.

Been fishing all my life and know a skinny bass from a fat bass so don't do WRs or run around with a O2 meter or water testing kits and don't over think turbid water and don't keep paper records - only photo journal.
I have raised some really nice fish and mother nature and I have killed a few on occasion.

I am a firm believer in "to over analyze is to paralyze" - especially in pond management, for me anyway. Fly/lure in the water is my tool and observation is my teacher.

Everything about pond management is a means to an end for me - if not for the fishing sport I would not have any interest in ponds.
Some of my biggest stocking mistakes have turned into success by stocking large numbers of CC that aided bass in controlling over abundance of small forage fish, and in the process, discovery of the sport and beauty of CNBG.

This was a two edged sword however, causing my first fish kill by excess biomass and too much fertility with excess feed.
I also learned on my second fish kill that bottom diffuser aeration alone could not prevent a fish kill in severe Texas heat wave and drought conditions.

Went against all conventional wisdom from the fisheries experts and TP&W biologists about stocking HSB in ponds and now a common practice in
Texas farm ponds.

Deep pockets are sometimes necessary some time to achieve maximum success in in pond management, but some folks like to keep it simple by choosing a simple recommended “balanced” plan of LMB, CC and BG.

Fun stuff - thanks Sparky!
George

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: george1
...some of my biggest stocking mistakes have turned into success...

In the midst of a great post, an even better one-liner! My experience too has been that some of the boo-boos turn into big successes. You just have to be observant enough to be able to appreciate some of the subtleties going on around you. I think that therein lies the greatest benefit to participating in this forum. People here are just as willing to discuss their mistakes as their triumphs. And each "mistake" can benefit others by observing the result--regardless of outcome.

THAT'S WHY I LOVE THIS PLACE!!!

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Originally Posted By: Bruce Condello
Originally Posted By: george1
...some of my biggest stocking mistakes have turned into success...

In the midst of a great post, an even better one-liner! My experience too has been that some of the boo-boos turn into big successes. You just have to be observant enough to be able to appreciate some of the subtleties going on around you. I think that therein lies the greatest benefit to participating in this forum. People here are just as willing to discuss their mistakes as their triumphs. And each "mistake" can benefit others by observing the result--regardless of outcome.

THAT'S WHY I LOVE THIS PLACE!!!

What mistakes?!?!?! I still say TJ's muskrat has better flow now!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: sprkplug
....The program kicked off the evening by stressing the importance of setting goals, and having a plan to help attain those goals.......aeration was not recommended--too much risk....(supplemental feeding discouraged)--too much risk....

Take a moment to digest what the biologist was really saying...

Set a goal--but don't take a risk.

Wouldn't you agree that virtually EVERY great achievement ever made by man involved a risk?!?!

What the biologist is really saying is "What's your goal?--just make sure it's not interesting or fun or different".

I would contend to the speaker that they come to a Pond Boss conference sometime. It would blow his mind. He might actually come to the conclusion that we're all fighting boring and mundane existences, and perhaps, just maybe, we'd like to spice things up a bit. Even if it involves some risk.

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
The biologist should be required to come to pondcon. Maybe they'd learn something useful actually I know they would lol

I believe in catch and release. I catch then release to the grease..

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

[Linked Image from i90.photobucket.com]
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I love how feeding fish in a pond is a waste of time according to Indians's DNR pond guide but the yellow perch from one of my ponds was disqualified because my fish were on a "feeding program" and therefore an unfair advantage. Never mind 12 of our state records came from ponds, and it's likely some feeding was involved in at least some of them.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 05/31/14 03:29 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

T
T
I would literally die and go to heaven if I had several ponds to manage and fish that I could experiment with. There are several species I'd like to (try) grow to abnormal sizes just because. 2 species I'd try if I had the ponds to "waste" are longear sunfish and spotted bass.

Bass/catfish/bluegill is somewhat boring. Heck, I can just go fish public water for those almost anywhere in my area.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by jpsdad - 03/29/24 08:24 AM
pond experience needed
by esshup - 03/29/24 08:19 AM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Sunil - 03/29/24 07:31 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by RogersTailgate - 03/29/24 05:45 AM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday