Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
BamaBass9, Sryously, PapaCarl, Mcarver, araudy
18,505 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,965
Posts558,021
Members18,506
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,541
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
12 members (canyoncreek, jludwig, Fishingadventure, Pat Williamson, Boondoggle, Jason D, STG, phinfan, catscratch, Sunil, JoshMI, gautprod), 1,206 guests, and 198 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
J
JRCD Offline OP
OP Offline
J
I truly appreciate how helpful these forums are for a beginner and non-techincal person like me.

I have read an old forum post off of Google regarding solar dating back to 2005. After thinking through and mapping distances, I think electric is out of the question for me.

So, for my 40 year old, 2 acre pond I think I am back to wind or solar. The post on solar from 2005 led me to think I should reach out and find if anyone has experiences, good and bad with solar systems, Where my pond sits in Maryland, I am more likely to have more sun than wind but if the solar systems don't work well, I may be down to a wind system.

Any thoughts on this and on actual systems? (The 2005 forum post seemed to think a system provided through Keeton was well done.)

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
JR,

How far is your electric from your pond? Remember you can run tubing/pvc a long ways to get the air to your pond. You don't need to be right next to it. I know guys out here that are pushing air 800 feet or more.

I am not to keen on wind sometimes it's just not there for you when you need it most in the hot summer.

I don't know much about solar so I'll pass on that. I know it will cost a bit to get it running right. The good thing about solar is you don't have to have direct sunlight all the time to get it to work. Most solar panels will charge your system even when it's cloudy out. But when there is no wind there just isn't nothing you can do about it.

Some more experts will be along soon and may be able to help you out better then me.

Good Luck
RC

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
J
JRCD Offline OP
OP Offline
J
I really appreciate your input RC51. I should say we have two ponds and the second pond is around 1 1/2 acre. It is closer to power, but I need to clean it up before I try to work with it. I definitely want to aerate with electric at that pond.

The 2 acre pond is around 1,000 feet from existing power. the terrain is up and down hills, under a stream and through a hay field! Protecting any underground line would be difficult.

My electrical contractor thought I could get the power company to add a meter closer to the pond but wasn't sure how much this would cost. I am still exploring this option. Since I don't think wind is going to work in my location, I hope to understand if solar systems even work and then do some break even analysis. Not being a big solar fan overall, I don't want to get ripped off on something that won't work.

Thanks again.

F
F
Have you seen Highflyers solar setup in the thread about his pond ?

It might give you some ideas. Its around page 9 ?

LINK

Last edited by fish n chips; 05/30/14 03:23 PM. Reason: added link
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
That's to bad cause you could run air a 1000 feet through tubing IF you had the right terrain for it. fish n chips is correct HF would know a lot more about solar for sure!!

HF you there calling HF!! smile

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
10 amps at 240 volts running copper for 1000' will require #4 (4ga) wire. I just checked OUR current prices for direct bury copper to run that distance, and it ain't cheap if you only buy one spool!!! You would easily pay 3x more than we do if you sourced it on your own. This stuff is a commodity and the price fluctuates by the minute. We buy truckloads of the stuff and have it negotiated, but it still ain't cheap!

Probably would at least cost 8K up here to set ya up so you're blowing bubbles with a 1000' electrical run to your pond from the source. And that would be only to run the compressor and maybe a few lights...

Go solar.

Brian

The one thing is the one thing
A dry fly catches no fish
Try not to be THAT 10%
J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Originally Posted By: highflyer
Go solar.

What's the % cloud cover?

It is true that cloud cover is a variable, but I am doing solar cheeper than running copper or air. And doing solar gives me a lot of options with the power I generate. Add an extra panel or two and I now can power an extra light, a pump, a heater, or a bigger aerator.

The sky is the limit if I generate electricity at the point where I need it.

Brian

Try not to be THAT 10%
J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
You need the planet to cooperate tho. You get a lot more Sun where you are at than we do, or even those East of me, so it's a viable option to you.

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Originally Posted By: highflyer
It is true that cloud cover is a variable, but I am doing solar cheeper than running copper or air. And doing solar gives me a lot of options with the power I generate. Add an extra panel or two and I now can power an extra light, a pump, a heater, or a bigger aerator.

The sky is the limit if I generate electricity at the point where I need it.

It may be worth another look again. I know they've made some pretty good improvements over the years on solar panels. ABB has a solar pump drive out for remote locations.

What would be a good brand of solar panel to start investigating?

Look for mono-crystaline or polycrystalline panels. My last set came from Sun electric out of Miami. My charge controllers are from Midnite Solar because they are the best ones I can find.

I am building my control box so I can purpose it the way I want it. I am currently using marine batteries, but I may upgrade in the future.

For an inverter, you can use several types and brands. I only use true sine wave inverters. You can get cheep ones or you can spend a little more or a lot more. For me, I choose best value. I am trying two types right now, but I hope I get in on the Beta test for Midnite's inverter when they put one out. They make great stuff.

I am keeping notes from this years solar projects and hope to write for PB by the fall.

Brian

Try not to be THAT 10%
J
JRCD Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Thanks to you all. Great information. I can't build my own. Very challenged with things like electronics. But where I am, I am better off to gamble with sun than wind.

Now I am off to research suppliers.

JR,
Most of this stuff is turn key if you look around. Don't hesitate to ask questions if you need help.

Brian

Try not to be THAT 10%
J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Good info Brian, and I look forward to your article.

Yeah, I got a touch of the solar bug now and am finding it may be much better than it was years ago for places with higher cloud cover and such.

I'll keep digging, but it seems fairly reasonable now, especially with the more energy efficient stuff.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
HookedUp, nhnewbee, orgeranyc
Recent Posts
Where it all started 1 year ago today
by FishinRod - 04/29/24 11:57 AM
instant email notifications of post replies ?
by jludwig - 04/29/24 11:54 AM
What did you do at your pond today?
by FishinRod - 04/29/24 11:52 AM
Alum kicks clay's butt....again!!!
by FishinRod - 04/29/24 11:46 AM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by canyoncreek - 04/29/24 09:19 AM
GSH - Spawning Habitat
by FishinRod - 04/29/24 09:14 AM
American Feeder H 125 Fish Feeder
by Jason D - 04/29/24 09:10 AM
Concrete pond construction