Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,119
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,420
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
4 members (Fishingadventure, Boondoggle, RogersTailgate, jpsdad), 847 guests, and 169 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
R
Rainman Offline OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Originally Posted By: Bill Cody
Plenty of Spicy V8 in this area. The Campbell Soup plant that makes it is 9 miles away. It is available in 'super size'.

Perfect...same as my belly! I should be seeing you real soon, sir!

R
Rainman Offline OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Scott, here is your photographic "proof". wink

The shop got the metal order in, the Company's fabrication shop finishes their relocation to the same shop the builds are done in, and work has begun in earnest. Batteries and air brake tanks were relocated, designs are completed, yet still may get minor changes, high intensity LED lighting getting ordered, slide out cat walks being built, new lift axle to support the extra weight when loaded, tires and polished wheels all being finished and shipped from all over the country.

I'm biased, but the bright aluminum against the dark blue really works for me. The 3 tanks shown in the right of the one picture are 38 inches tall and the overall width is 8 feet. The center tank will have 8 compartments carrying 125 gallons each and the front/rear tanks each have 4 compartments holding 250 gallons each. Each 125 gallons of water will be oxygenated by 2 3/8"x36" Point Four Ceramic pure Oxygen diffusers. I am also designing an on board filtration system and I may even add automated water chilling/heating capacity for installation next year.

The LOX saddle shown on the truck will carry dual, 300 liter Liquid oxygen tanks and the 4 batteries and 3000 watt A/C power inverter will be housed in the center space.

Four, 24"x24"x60" polished aluminum tool boxes will fill space under the aluminum bed between the Lox tanks and forward rear axle with a 200' water hose reel box and water pumps in the opposite side box, filling the spaces behind the Tag axle and rear bumper. The rear bumper itself will be covered in polished aluminum with a door the will reveal storage space for 6, 20 foot sections of pipe to stock ponds or change water from a remote area.

If needed, I can even pull a trailer mounted haul tank using one of my old tanks that holds 660 gallons in 4 compartments allowing me to move up to a total of 10,000 pounds of Tilapia or adult fish in a single load...about half that hauling smaller fish.

Now...Who needs Fish?!?!?! grin

Old and new together with the new, light weight tanks on the right...A new chrome front bumper will go on too...

The Liquid Oxygen/battery saddle in place and getting final fabrication...The bulkhead will also frame the rear glass to hold a light bar with flood lights for night stocking/loadings and periodic in-transit welfare inspections...

S
S
Chrome bumper?????

I want to know about the engine and transmission........... the important stuff! laugh

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
A
Lunker
Lunker
A
Rainman,

We have talked a couple times by phone but never met. Fortunately I have talked my BIL into buying from you based strictly on your reputation from this forum. I believe he is getting 50 lbs. per acre for his 5 acre pond and I will be there to witness the great event. I look forward to meeting you.

R
Rainman Offline OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Originally Posted By: airborne3118
Rainman,

We have talked a couple times by phone but never met. Fortunately I have talked my BIL into buying from you based strictly on your reputation from this forum. I believe he is getting 50 lbs. per acre for his 5 acre pond and I will be there to witness the great event. I look forward to meeting you.

In Greensberg? If so, 175#. I thank you very much!

R
RER Offline
R
wow, that sure will be an upgrade....
That truck will give a very good first impression on new clients I would think, not that its needed....

Congrats.......!

Goofing off is a slang term for engaging in recreation or an idle pastime while obligations of work or society are neglected........... Wikipedia
R
Rainman Offline OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Nothing too special on the engine and tranny. DT466e in a 210hp configuration with an Eaton 6sp transmission. 12K front axle, 21K rear and adding a 13.2K lift axle. 290,000 miles. Had to argue some with the company I bought it from, but they finally took care of some power and safety issues they were supposed to resolve before I picked it up in Hartford, Ct.

Wild Bill witnessed it almost crushing me due to one of their shops "repairs" to the original lift gate it came with.

I sold the original 26' box, lift gate and old truck to help offset the pretty substantial bed modification and fabrication costs.

I am selling off one of my old tanks to offset more....It would be perfect on an inexpensive tandem utility trailer for someone wanting to haul. the originals sold for $20,000 new to Zett's in 1991 and will last more than another 23 years.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Looks good man.. keep us posted buddy..

I believe in catch and release. I catch then release to the grease..

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

[Linked Image from i90.photobucket.com]
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Rex, looking good. You going to rig the doors on the tool boxes so they don't automatically open? wink grin

Do you have a place on the truck where you can hang a scale to weigh out the fish? Analog/mechanical scale vs. digital?

Maybe a power outlet or 2 and an air chuck somewhere outside? You can plug in a light to look into the tanks, a snall portable flood light and plug in an air hose to run an impact wrench if needed?

FWIW, I really dislike polished chrome flat bumpers or doors on the back of trucks. They reflect headlights.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Rainman....friend to Pond Owners and Tow Trucks everywhere....

Congratulations!

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Will the new tag axle be air both ways, or spring lift?

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
R
Rainman Offline OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Originally Posted By: sprkplug
Will the new tag axle be air both ways, or spring lift?

Air lift up and down, auto lift in reverse and air ABS module. I chose a steerable model being built by Spring Valley in SE Iowa. We are going to hold off on installation till the bed is complete, installed and fully loaded with all 3000 gallons of water and the liquid oxygen to determine if it will be installed as a tag or pusher. I'll have about 9 feet of frame beyond the current axle....272" wheel base. Just because Bill Cody gave me crap thinking I'd take down his gutters turning around when I visit him, I am also installing a wireless backup camera with 4 distance sensors in the rear safety bumper of the beast. the camera will connect to either the 7" screen on the rear view mirror, or my GPS unit

Last edited by Rainman; 05/09/14 11:03 AM.

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
I've scrubbed off my share of rubber on tag axles and tight corners. Pushers aren't quite as bad in that respect.

Nine more feet of frame...I'm curious myself as to how the weight distribution works out.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
R
Rainman Offline OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Originally Posted By: esshup
Rex, looking good. You going to rig the doors on the tool boxes so they don't automatically open? wink grin

Do you have a place on the truck where you can hang a scale to weigh out the fish? Analog/mechanical scale vs. digital?

Maybe a power outlet or 2 and an air chuck somewhere outside? You can plug in a light to look into the tanks, a snall portable flood light and plug in an air hose to run an impact wrench if needed?

FWIW, I really dislike polished chrome flat bumpers or doors on the back of trucks. They reflect headlights.

LOL! Dual locking, side swing dual doors. I am sure I will wire both 110 a/c and 12V all over it in time and if/as needed. Air will be plumbed as will oxygen to fill bags and supply a trailer if pulled. Those, I will wait to install so I will know the locations making it all very functional. I will probably choose a mechanical scale, tilapia are too jumpy to be near the electronics of the digitals...I carry 3 now so 1 works while 2 can dry out.

In time, I would like to get with someone to figure out a compact monitoring system to detect temp, ammonia, CO2 and O2 levels that can easily be checked in the cab.

Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
Originally Posted By: Rainman
tilapia are too jumpy to be near the electronics of the digitals...

Rex I was surprised how frisky my tilapia were when delivered
this week....those dudes are all Type A personality!

ps: congrats on new truck!

Fishing has never been about the fish....

R
Rainman Offline OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
LOL Mark, and thanks! I wish it and you had made it to Winnsboro!

R
Rainman Offline OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Originally Posted By: sprkplug
I've scrubbed off my share of rubber on tag axles and tight corners. Pushers aren't quite as bad in that respect.

Nine more feet of frame...I'm curious myself as to how the weight distribution works out.

IF any frame will need to be added to the original, it would be less than 2 feet, and only to support the receiver hitch and filled in back end. Placing the LOX tanks in the front made it look better, but also more functional, but shifts about 500 gallons (4000#) of weight rearward. Load weight will now be about 65/35, if not 60/40 front to back. With the bridge formula laws, max weight on any axle is 20,000 pounds. My wheel base will allow a max of 47,000# total as is, so I can easily set up as a pusher or tag and be legal. Tare weight is expected to be <12,000#.

S
S
Nothing too special on the engine and tranny. DT466e in a 210hp configuration with an Eaton 6sp transmission. 12K front axle, 21K rear and adding a 13.2K lift axle. 290,000 miles.

DT466 has been around for many years and should be bullet proof. I've never owned one, but would prefer it to the 444 V8 I have on one service truck. Had a 6sp in a Freightliner once and was a nice simple and again, bullet proof transmission. No split shift to worry about, straight H shift pattern. The cowboy drivers need lots of gears but if the engine has some lugging ability and not in steep mountains, not needed. At 210 hp not going to be breaking any land speed records but just put your foot into it and let the DT466 work.

We run several International trucks, from semi's to a service truck. I like them. Good solid work trucks.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
B
B
Wow, that is going to be an expensive machine when you are done with modifications. It looks like a major advancement for your business, congratulations and good luck.

I Subscribe
R
Rainman Offline OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Bear, with the offsets from selling other equipment, and getting some excellent used equipment, I'll have about $45K in it. It should reduce maintenance and last for years to come. In comparison, one fish farm just built an all new unit with 2 smaller haul tanks and one LOX tank that will hold one third what mine will in nearly the same size foot print...his cost?..$128K.

The haul tanks I found are very unique and were built at cost by someone that builds surfboards wanting to try this, material cost per tank was $11,500, 6 years ago. I bought them with oversize oxygen diffusers and O2 flow regulators worth over $6000 per tank., Heck, each gate valve to drain them or stainless handle to close the lid is nearly $100 each. I saved about $12K by "stretching" my old aluminum bed over building a new one.

R
Rainman Offline OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Originally Posted By: snrub
At 210 hp not going to be breaking any land speed records but just put your foot into it and let the DT466 work.

We run several International trucks, from semi's to a service truck. I like them. Good solid work trucks.

I'd loved to have about 100 more Horses, but at a sale price that was 1/3 it's resale value, I can go slower! It was a Penske Truck built for a client, so it had some nice creature comforts added, like cruise control, heated mirrors, driver air ride seat, upgraded radio and engine noise/sound insulation.

With the air ride suspension also, the thing rides smoother than my Explorer!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
If you feel the need for speed, I'm sure there's someone out there that has done some slight tweaking to them. Nothing radical that will significantly shorten it's life, but maybe in the line of 10%-20% more oomph.

Heck, my little 1.9l diesel went from 90 hp to 128 hp and it's still going strong 155K after the upgrade.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
H
Lunker
Lunker
H
Rainman, I figure your new truck with all the "bells, lights & whistles" will do excellent..... But is there still room for a "skinny" ole hound dog grin. JK buddy (just remembered that was one of your best friends names)?

Anyway, can't wait for the adventures of the new "BLUE TRUCK". Best of wishes to you Rex cool.

R
Rainman Offline OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
LOL Mark, yep. there is room. lots more room as a matter of fact. I miss Buddy almost every day still. Many reminders of him each day! A $1000 tuner and EGR Delete kit (now banned) would add 60HP.

Scott, I will consider getting a tune, but with all the new FMCSA regulations coming that require automatic on board electronic recording devices that connect directly to the engine computer so Uncle Fed can monitor us microscopically, for hours of service violations and EPA violations, modifications are getting hard to make. Next year, unless blocked in court, Cali's CARB will ban any commercial vehicle with engine built before 2010 from entering or operating in the state.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Next year, unless blocked in court, Cali's CARB will ban any commercial vehicle with engine built before 2010 from entering or operating in the state.

One more reason to hope for the big one.!

I don't see that flying. How would all the trucks bring goods from South of the border???

www.hoosierpondpros.com

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by RogersTailgate - 03/29/24 05:45 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by jpsdad - 03/29/24 05:43 AM
pond experience needed
by esshup - 03/29/24 12:45 AM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Newly Uploaded Images