Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
cjschuhmann, Teroni, EGS, Ben Davis, DBS
18,529 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics41,012
Posts558,498
Members18,530
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,605
ewest 21,512
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,158
Who's Online Now
11 members (Boondoggle, Brett B, Lake8, cjschuhmann, canyoncreek, catscratch, Bill Cody, Justin W, Black Creek WW, FireIsHot, Drago), 1,065 guests, and 329 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
R
ribbit Offline OP
OP Offline
R
We have a couple of mud ponds and a whole lot of tanks. They all survive on rainwater.
Since we raise fish in them we check the water parameters frequently.
All the tanks except one are running about 7PH with all the other parameters in normal range. Fish are happy. Plants are healthy.
We have been having massive amounts of rain for the last month so all tanks SHOULD be pretty much the same. They all are except one.
The bad one is CONSISTANTLY
PH 10+
alk 180
hardness 75
nitrates,nitrites and ammonia ZERO

Did a water change.
Every thing went to normal 7PH
2 days later it was over 10 again
We moved this fish
The plant roots (water hyacinth and water lettuce) don't hang down. They clump up on the surface.
The entire hard surface of the pond is coated with a thick brown plastic-like substance. It is the same color and feel as brown kelp. It peels off like rubber cement.
Here is a picture. Yes it looks like brown algae but it is a solid rubbery sheet.
Any ideas on the glop or the PH problem? Remember I have 20 tanks of various sizes in the same environment. Being doing this for 15 years and never had a problem like this

Attached Images
glop.jpg
G
G
What's really strange is your flashing avatar. It created sunspots on my eyeballs. Seriously!

It's also strange that your avatar only appears when I view your post while I'm logged out. When I log in, it isn't there.
Has anyone else noticed this? If not, try logging out, and then revisit this post. Warning: don't look directly at the flashing avatar for too long.

Oh yeah, welcome to the forum, ribbit.............I think?

D
D
Ok did the log out long in thing and wow is that tripy!

Sorry I can help with the creepy alkaline blob you got growing there.

How fast dose this thing grow?

Cheers Don.

[Linked Image from corvettejunkie.com]
http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4

7/8th of an acre, Perch only pond, Ontario, Canada.
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Looks like dead blanket algae that has floated to to me. Additionally intense photosynthesis by filamentous algae, and/or phytoplankton, and/or macrophytes can increase your ph to high levels later in the day in full sunlight.As far as zero ammonia and nitrates in a pond that is not unusual due to denitrification and aerobic autotrophic bacteria. Also if you do have a liberal amount of plant life in whatever form it will assimulate your nitrates. Anoxic conditions perhaps in deeper will assimulate nitrates by changing it to nitrogen gas.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 05/02/14 08:20 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Something about that tank is different than all the rest. What is that tank made from, and is it the same as the rest of the tanks? What does the water run thru that feeds that tank? Is there anything in that tank that is not in the other tanks?

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker

I'm confused if this is actually a tank or a smaller pond. As we all know some use the word interchangeably.

Doesn't sound like the tanks are kept very clean. Letting waste build up in tanks is just asking for water quality issues.

Is the last tank or the first tank in the series the problem tank?

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 05/02/14 11:10 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

R
ribbit Offline OP
OP Offline
R
This stuff does not float. It is exactly the same texture as kelp. Rubbery. and it's not floating. It coats everything and has to be scraped off with a putty knife.
I have no idea how long it took to get there. But like I said I have several tanks, all planted, all outside being serviced by the same rain water. None of the other tanks have this.
Because of the rain water all of the tanks should have the same PH but this tank creeps up quickly and kills fish.
Don't think ONE pond. Think TWELVE and only one has this problem.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I've already tried to explain it to you. Moving on.

D
D
The way I read it there is a plastic tank of some sort that this is growing in and not the rest of the plastic or fiberglass tanks.

[Linked Image from corvettejunkie.com]

7/8th of an acre, Perch only pond, Ontario, Canada.
R
ribbit Offline OP
OP Offline
R
This is a rubber lined tank about half the tanks are rubber lined the rest are plastic stock tanks. I feel the the high PH and the substance growing on all the hard surfaces are related because none of the other tanks have either.
Since they are all fed by rainwater they should all be the same.
When I say fed by rainwater I mean it rains into them...not pumped into them

L
L
If truly rainwater, you probably have very little PH buffering so the PH can swing wildly depending on many factors. I would check your hardness and alkalinity of the various tanks, and see what numbers come up. I would be willing to bet this tank is lower on both counts than any other.

As for the scuz, it may be iron bacteria. We get that in our well water and it is like gelatinous crud. In soft water with a bit of iron, they thrive.

It mitigate this you can add salt/lime products/etc to buffer the PH. I think your water is simply too soft.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob-O
Recent Posts
Building a sprayer for 10 acre farm pond
by Black Creek WW - 05/15/24 08:54 AM
Happy Birthday Bob-O
by FireIsHot - 05/15/24 08:46 AM
Repairing Dam with Culvert?
by catscratch - 05/15/24 07:59 AM
Spotfin Shiners - Habitat, Cover and Structure
by canyoncreek - 05/14/24 07:06 PM