Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi, Lumberman1985, Bennettrand
18,500 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,961
Posts557,951
Members18,500
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,497
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,146
Who's Online Now
11 members (NADam, ArkieJig, highflyer, Lake8, catscratch, WallyB, Bigtrh24, Mainer, TonyinKY, Bill Cody, Rick O), 1,117 guests, and 247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker

A willow bush branch I weighted down with a brick and tied a rope to so I can pull it out, got a deposit.

I'm pretty much 100 percent sure I have no males but to play it safe I still place the branches in as a form of birth control and periodically dump the eggs on the bank. My fish are hatched in a separate pond.

I also think it's possible the females may stress and reabsorb their eggs if they don't find a suitable place to put them. Don't know for sure but the name of the game to produce large fast growing healthy fish is to reduce stress. So if there is a even the slightly possibility of stress with no structure to drop eggs I will add something for them to put their eggs on.

If you look closely at the first photo the eggs have white spots which means they probably weren't fertilized and are dead.

Here are some freshly dumped on the bank. They have the consistency and appearance of clear tapioca.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 04/24/14 10:48 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Lunker
Very cool Cecil! Can you elaborate on how one can determine if a strand has been fertilized? Are dead or unfertilized eggs just a little more milky white colored - less transparent? If so, I think I can determine that in your first photo...but my eye is untrained.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57
Very cool Cecil! Can you elaborate on how one can determine if a strand has been fertilized? Are dead or unfertilized eggs just a little more milky white colored - less transparent? If so, I think I can determine that in your first photo...but my eye is untrained.

According to Dr. Perca you can see white specs where the eggs are supposed to be which means dead tissue.

BTW I can only see one egg strand in my perch spawning cage. It may be I'll have very few perch this year or some large ones. LOL How about you?

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Lunker
Lunker
You told me to quit looking and leave them alone, so I'm leaving them be, though it's a struggle daily! wink Unfortunately checking on strands requires me wading out to the cages and lifting them up and out of the water as my algae bloom has visibility pretty low. I just don't know what I should/shouldn't do at this point. I'm dying to know, but don't want to ruin anything. Last I checked there was one strand in one cage...that was it.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I figured you'd look anyway. laugh

I can check on mine without disturbing them by just creeping to the end of the pier and carefully looking into the cage. My water is not that clear either though, but most likely iron after I refilled the pond just before adding the cage and broodfish. It could be some algae as I did fertilize last Sunday. Supposed to get some cottonseed meal tomorrow to add.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 04/24/14 10:47 PM.

Lunker
Lunker
Yeah, you figured right - but I've even surprised myself with the restraint. I think it's that I've just been too lazy to put on the waders, frankly.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
My chest waders are a PITA to put on. I also have to tape tightly the bottom of my pants before putting then on or they ride up the pant legs and the top of wader boot inside the wader chafes my calves.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 04/24/14 11:07 PM.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57

TJ,

I believe these are dead unfertilized eggs. Each white spot is an unfertilized egg.

A closer look:

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 04/28/14 11:34 PM.

B
B
Interesting, thanks. I would have thought that reabsorbing the eggs would be a good thing for growth.

I Subscribe
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Bearbait1
Interesting, thanks. I would have thought that reabsorbing the eggs would be a good thing for growth.

Most literature I have read says it's stressful on the fish. I've heard of rainbow trout actually dying from it, and Bass Pro Shops told me they had to perform surgery on a smallmouth to remove the eggs or she would have died. Said they had a lot of trouble with female smallmouth bass in this way.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 04/28/14 11:51 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cobra01, Dan123, micam5, Rich B, woodster
Recent Posts
Prayers needed
by Fishingadventure - 04/24/24 11:24 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Fishingadventure - 04/24/24 06:40 PM
1/2 Acre Pond Build
by Theo Gallus - 04/24/24 05:32 PM
Caught a couple nice bass lately...
by Dave Davidson1 - 04/24/24 03:39 PM