Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Amhano8r, shores41, MidwestCass, Bucyrus22B, Steve Clubb
18,485 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,947
Posts557,814
Members18,485
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,513
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,141
Who's Online Now
3 members (ArkieJig, buzzdpm, Steve Clubb), 1,019 guests, and 220 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#373801 04/24/14 12:34 PM
S
Srj79 Offline OP
OP Offline
S
New to this forum and have a lot of good info but i need to ask a few questions. I have a half acre pond that was built in the 70s. Over the past 5 or 6 years the fishing has deminished a lot. It is covered in Filamentous algae. The bass I do catch are usually small. I was wondering what you thought of this, is it over populated or what? Also i read that you can use tilapia to get rid of algae, is this true? That seems that it would be a win win, get rid of algae and supply forage for the bass. Thank you for any advise for a new comer.

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
Originally Posted By: Srj79
New to this forum and have a lot of good info but i need to ask a few questions. I have a half acre pond that was built in the 70s. Over the past 5 or 6 years the fishing has deminished a lot. It is covered in Filamentous algae. The bass I do catch are usually small. I was wondering what you thought of this, is it over populated or what? Also i read that you can use tilapia to get rid of algae, is this true? That seems that it would be a win win, get rid of algae and supply forage for the bass. Thank you for any advise for a new comer.

Welcome to PondBoss Srj79.
Lots of tilapia expearience and information in your area.
TAMU grad fisheries biologist Todd Overton in Buffalo just a hop,skip and jump from College Station.
http://www.overtonfisheries.com/

Originally Posted By: george1
Originally Posted By: bobbystout
Originally Posted By: george1

G/

So is Tilapia the best way to control FA in east texas ponds?

Absolutely Bobby, but there are exceptions as Dave Davidson has reported, but that is the only one I have seen documented.

A little history of Texas Tilapia.
The first I ever heard of Mozambique Tilapia in Texas were developed and sold by Boatcycle in Henderson sometime about 2000+.
Todd Overton of Overton Fisheries quickly followed and has since been a major supplier in Texas.

IMO, numbers stocked should be based on annual FA problem or forage needs by an “on the ground” competent fisheries biologist or experienced pondmeister.
George

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
You can add tilapia but, if you are at an infestation stage on the FA, it would be a waste of $ without periodic spraying.

I have found that FA needs to be nuked when it first shows up. Then add tilapia when the water temp hits about 60 degrees and you are pretty sure that there won't be a serious weather event that drops the water temp below about 55 degrees. Keep nuking as it reappears because the dying and rotting FA fertilizes for new growth of the stuff. It's not hopeless but is continuing work.

Re the bass: More than likely the bass have over eaten their food supply of bluegills. I'll also bet that they are skinny. It's called bass heavy due to practicing catch and release and too small to keep. At this point, it won't help to add forage because it will be immediately eaten. The only fix is to remove every bass under about 14 to 15 inches you can catch. Let the neighborhood coons eat them. At some point, you will have to use live bait because they get hook shy in a 1/2 acre pond. Sooner or later the average bass will start looking better. But, you will always have to keep eliminating the small fish.

Bluntly put, 1/2 acre is generally considered too small for bass in Texas. It can be done but it takes a mind set of raising bluegills and other forage to feed bass. And that can be a long dissertation.

BTW, at this stage, you have an average Texas pond. We've all been there.

Last edited by Dave Davidson1; 04/25/14 05:49 AM.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
G
Lunker
Lunker
G
I agree with Dave on "nuking" the 1/2 acre pond if it is completely covered with FA - a picture would help.
If in patches and has been beat up with some of these heavy rains tilapia may work.

We have some really bad FA right now in 1/4 acre pond and after only two weeks we are seeing good results with tilapia.
I just don't like chemicals and have never used then in 10 years but but fairly young ponds.

With a 1/2 acre 40 year old pond with fertility and fish problems I would think seriously about draining and start over with a brand new pond.
G/

S
Srj79 Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Thanks guys, any suggestion on what to spray with? It's gotten pretty bad. And do you think I should catch as many bass as possible or certain poundage? I though about starting over but it can't be pumped down because it's for cattle. After removing bass could I add structure for baitfish to help. Maybe next spring?

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
Srj79, I know nuthin' about cattle - that's Dave's department.
I got out of the cow business at an early age but my brother stayed on the family ranch.
I don't think he would let his $35,000 dollar bull drink chemical treated water.....but like I said...I know nuthin' ...but cows and ponds cause fertility problems.
Good luck,
George

S
Srj79 Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Yeah im stuck in a hard spot, it used to be really good fishing but it has been neglected. As far as the chemical treatment i guess it would depend on what i can find. How do they cause ferility problems? Sorry for all the questions, ive never tried to manage a pond.

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
It's the cow poop in the pond water that causes the fertility problem resulting in extreme FA conditions - not the chems ....
G/

S
Srj79 Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Well that makes sense on why it's gotten worse over the past few years. So i pretty much have to just deal with it?

srj, I may be missing the obvious but have you had your water tested? I have 2 ponds that are primarily for cattle, and I try to have them tested annually. I usually get test #2 which includes testing for metals. This may at least give you a starting point. Good luck.

Texas A&M water test form

AL

S
Srj79 Offline OP
OP Offline
S
I have not had it tested. Plan on doing it soon though. Thanks for all the advice everyone!

srj79, I'm trying to be proactive on my 2 cow tanks. Draining them for any reason is not an option for me either since they're on a leased pasture.

I try to at least test for ammonia levels when the cows are there, and so far so good. I alummed one of them last year, and it's stayed pretty clear. I was surprised to say the least.

As others have said, FA can be a continuing problem. Tilapia and Cutrine Plus are the best treatment one/two punch you can get.

AL

S
Srj79 Offline OP
OP Offline
S
When you test the water what exactly are you looking for? I'm new to all of this. I used to think you just threw some fish in there and that's it.

J
JWM Offline
J
SRJ79

When you have the water tested you are mainly interested in the PH and alkalinity levels. You should be able to have this done for free by giving your local Ag Extension Agent a call. He/She should be able to provide you with recommendations on what actions you need to take in the event your water quality needs attention.

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."- Ben Franklin

"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of liberty."-Thomas Jefferson

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
April Newman, georgiaboy27, Keven
Recent Posts
Protecting Minnows
by ArkieJig - 04/19/24 11:43 PM
Major Fail
by ArkieJig - 04/19/24 11:32 PM
Muddy pond
by shores41 - 04/19/24 01:37 PM
'Nother New Guy
by teehjaeh57 - 04/19/24 01:36 PM