Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,075
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,412
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
16 members (DrLuke, JasonInOhio, H20fwler, Theo Gallus, Shorthose, Requa, Justin W, LeighAnn, Bob Lusk, catscratch, Freg, DenaTroyer, Blestfarmpond, Snipe, RAH, Rick O), 820 guests, and 205 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1
Originally Posted By: lassig
[quote=highflyer] Also wondering why more effort doesn't go into getting after the folks that do this. I guess most are off shore and hard to find.

I'm not singling out any administration or poltiical persuasion so I hope this doesn't sound political (this goes back a ways with all admins and congress critters regardless of party), but if our government made world policeman less of a priority, and us at home more a priority, it would be amazing what they could do. I believe what little has been done is due to the congress critters having issues themselves with identity theft.

Mods if this is regarded political please feel free to delete.

Cecil, I agree 100%

AL

esshup #373545 04/22/14 11:57 AM
Originally Posted By: esshup
Al, I just checked the business account (Hoosier Pond Pros) and from what I can see, once the credit card goes thru, the data is gone. To issue a refund (I've had people order aquamax fish food and NOT read the "pick up only or call for a shipping rate quote") I just write a check and mail it....

Scott as a vender, that sounds correct.

The store cards are the ones that worry me. They never delete your data in hopes that you'll change your mind, and reopen the account. You should always request a hard close.

AL

D
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
D
Cecil, delete it? Hell, I agree with you. I could go further but it would damn sure get political regarding both parties of Congress and lots of guv "officials".

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Originally Posted By: FireIsHot
Scott, as a vendor, that sounds correct.

I just send Scott USPS money orders, as most else.

Last edited by JKB; 04/23/14 05:40 AM.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I had a guy from California I believe want me to seen him a bunch of trout for a barbecue after he accessed my website (down at the moment). I said they start at $40.00 a piece (this was a few years ago my prices have gone up), and were for taxidermy purposes. Said that was fine. WTH!?

O.K. As soon as the funds clear I'll be putting them in FedEx would have been my answer.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
esshup #373602 04/22/14 09:14 PM
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: esshup
I had a guy from California I believe want me to seen him a bunch of trout for a barbecue after he accessed my website (down at the moment). I said they start at $40.00 a piece (this was a few years ago my prices have gone up), and were for taxidermy purposes. Said that was fine. WTH!?

O.K. As soon as the funds clear I'll be putting them in FedEx would have been my answer.

What if he sent the money and turned out to be effected by Alheimers and I got the wrath of his family. grin

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Dave, be sure fill out an FTC form at www.IC3.gov .... contact the Social Security admin at 1-800-269-0271 in case they work under your SSN and rip off an employer ...and let your health Insurance provider know, as many now get free health care on your plan and you will possibly get denied due to conflicting medical histories/procedures.

There really is not much limit to how an Identity thief can use the stolen info to screw us.

Last edited by Rainman; 04/23/14 11:52 AM. Reason: Mistakenly posted the number to report a Fraud Alert with Trans-Union as the SSA #

J
J
I saw on TV that our credit card system can be made a lot safer but not 100% so by adopting the the European system but there was resistance by banks, retailers, etc. because of the change over costs.

L
L
Not until it costs the banks more for the ID theft than the changeover will they do anything about it. :-(. No skin off their back leaving our bare butts in the breeze.

You guys scared me into submission and went through all of the effort in the past two days to protect our ID and check statuses. Looks clean right now... If only I could get my SSN converted to something new so all records of it would be disconnected (i.e. school records, old health insurance, etc)

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Originally Posted By: liquidsquid
Not until it costs the banks more for the ID theft than the changeover will they do anything about it. :-(. No skin off their back leaving our bare butts in the breeze.

You guys scared me into submission and went through all of the effort in the past two days to protect our ID and check statuses. Looks clean right now... If only I could get my SSN converted to something new so all records of it would be disconnected (i.e. school records, old health insurance, etc)

Liquid, you CAN get your SSN changed by calling the SSA at 1-800-269-0271...However, I don't know if you have to document being a victim of identity theft for that to be done.

V
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
V
When Target got hacked they got Victoria's password for the Target account and her email address. Her password for her email was the same, so they got access to all of her emails. Once they had access to all of her emails, they knew everywhere she shopped on line. They also knew the password she used most often. Then the fun started for them.

We actually have an address where everything which was bought was shipped. It was San Diego, otherwise I would have visited the 'victim'. (Yes, that is how the death certificate would have read for them.) We notified San Diego PD and they said we had to report it to our police department first, which we did. They then had to contact San Diego for help in their investigation. I am sure it has gone nowhere.

Lesson learned: DON'T USE THE SAME PASSWORDS! Duh.

Our local police officer told us he was working another investigation of someone who was receiving goods at his home and re-shipping them overseas to Africa. He was 'in love' with a 'girl' he had met on-line who he thought was doing mission work. 'She' was having an on-line romance with him and convinced him to re-send things he received to her. She said they were supplies and donations. He would simply receive, add a label, and ship. He didn't suspect anything until he received a big screen TV. It was then he alerted the authorities. Turns out all of the purchases were being made with stolen credit card numbers and he was unwittingly an accomplice.

Victor #373687 04/23/14 01:43 PM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Victor:

Round trip ticket to Lindbergh Field (San Diego) is probably <$400. I'd take in some beach time while I was there.....

Then there's the SD zoo, Sea World, The Wild Animal Park, and TJ( the mexican one) is a short walk across the border.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Victor #373716 04/23/14 06:08 PM
J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
It was actually an HVAC contractor that got hacked with the Golden Key to Target's business network. Target itself did not get hacked, but there was an open access point thru the contractor. One comment I read is "this is a hackers dream come true". Find a weak link and you're in. That's what they are looking for.

I'm surprised that both systems were on the same network. You never do that!!, but it could just be an older setup, and things were left combined. Don't really know the fine details, and have never been in a Target store.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I actually seen that statement somewhere to it was a hackers dream or perfect scenario they dream about

I believe in catch and release. I catch then release to the grease..

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

[Linked Image from i90.photobucket.com]
L
L
What about hiring a private investigator? Failing that, a hitman?

Rainman #373760 04/24/14 06:15 AM
Originally Posted By: Rainman
Originally Posted By: liquidsquid

Liquid, you CAN get your SSN changed by calling the SSA at 1-800-269-0271...However, I don't know if you have to document being a victim of identity theft for that to be done.

Rex, I know back a few years ago you did have to prove identity theft to get a new card. Surely DD1 falls under this if he chooses to get a new SSN. Credit card #'s are sold like Pokemon cards on the internet, and apparently that doesn't count. At least it didn't for us.

AL

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
The European system will only help marginally and not at all for online aspects.

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Originally Posted By: Bluegillerkiller
I actually seen that statement somewhere to it was a hackers dream or perfect scenario they dream about

There is an article about this in a Control mag I get. Unfortunately, there are uncountable scenarios like this. The media just report the big ones.

There are hack proof ways of tying a business network to an industrial network. They both need info from each other. It's actually quite simple tho, and not very expensive. A hacker could never bridge this gap from one to the other. It's Impossible!!!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Theo Gallus - 03/28/24 10:27 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Alum vs Bentonite/Lathanum for Phosphorus Removal?
by DenaTroyer - 03/28/24 09:38 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy